PC & Video Games

did Sony pay Kotaku for exclusive Good news and bashing competitors nextgen?

• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2013 9:44 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes

did Sony pay Kotaku for exclusive Good news and bashing competitors nextgen?

Like Microsoft paying Activision for Call of Duty Exclusive Maps

I think Microsoft paid Kotaku this gen with Xbox 360 positive news but it looks like this upcoming gen Kotaku has received some exclusive money from Sony???
24 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10764 posts
665 upvotes
Scarborough
its all a conspiracy lol.

I dont think its anything to do with being paid but its more to do with what the writers like than anything. With all the current rumors about the next Xbox with the slight reveal of the PS4 by Sony, its hard to justify liking the next Xbox from the core gamer perspective and thats who Kotaku markets to.
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4136 upvotes
Toronto
Kotaku sucks, so who cares...
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20305 posts
4281 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Kotawho?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1614 posts
104 upvotes
Montr
at least try to make up some evidence.
Aug 20, 2009
7150 posts
1854 upvotes
Grimsby
No they did not and you are strange.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes
drdrma wrote:
May 4th, 2013 8:35 am
at least try to make up some evidence.
look at the anti-ps3 news 2-3 years ago at Kotaku, everything Pro Xbox Microsoft

This time around its all Pro-PS4 sony news and anti Microsoft

And yes Kotaku sucks
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2011
1571 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
Kotaku has some of the most unprofessional writers in the industry. I just read their articles for a good laugh from time to time. there's maybe only a couple respectful writers on their payroll but not many that you can take seriously.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17222 posts
495 upvotes
Surely you are joking, Sony and Kotaku have a hugely stressful relationship at best. I dont see this being a fact at all. ITs more likely that the news for Sony is really just good right now and in the absence of anything coming out of MS right now the vacuum is being filled with whatever they can find. This is why Sony came out first

Also, 3rd console curse.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes
Super strokey wrote:
May 5th, 2013 11:56 am
Surely you are joking, Sony and Kotaku have a hugely stressful relationship at best. I dont see this being a fact at all. ITs more likely that the news for Sony is really just good right now and in the absence of anything coming out of MS right now the vacuum is being filled with whatever they can find. This is why Sony came out first

Also, 3rd console curse.
i wont rule that out and more likely the case with other gaming news outlets however with Kotaku and Luke Plunkett they have a history of shady *****
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17222 posts
495 upvotes
DiploDocus wrote:
May 5th, 2013 12:47 pm
i wont rule that out and more likely the case with other gaming news outlets however with Kotaku and Luke Plunkett they have a history of shady *****
Every thing about kotaku is shady lol, you got a point there.
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4136 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think Microsoft or Sony would ever pay Kotaku since it's a pretty much irrelevant blog outpost. They're likely just being dumb, immature fanboys. Also don't believe any gaming rumour you see on that site.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
258 upvotes
Fantaz wrote:
May 5th, 2013 9:23 pm
I don't think Microsoft or Sony would ever pay Kotaku since it's a pretty much irrelevant blog outpost. They're likely just being dumb, immature fanboys. Also don't believe any gaming rumour you see on that site.
kotaku is one of the more popular gaming sites (sadlly) and if you check out how many ads they have on the site I'd say they are doing pretty well

I tried finding numbers on how much a website is worth and kotaku was nearly a million (my own website showed $2 so that seems accurate)

I'm not entirely sure on the figures I do know those youtube gaming channels who have a large subscriber base like 200,000 and more are making near a 6 figure income....ya seems weird but that is the new market of advertising.
Oct 11, 2010
742 posts
79 upvotes
Ya, Kotaku is pretty bad anyway, and in general there is massive collaboration between game publishers and game review/news sites. So it pays to be skeptical.