• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2012 3:45 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 11, 2012
9 posts
2 upvotes

Did a stupid thing, SIGNED with Just Energy

I still can't believe I did this, I so pissed off at myself. I never like signing any kind of contract but this time I fell for it.

On Saturday Nov 10 around 6 pm two guys from Just Energy showed wanting me to sign up with them. After they looked at my current bills they showed me how much money I would be saving. I told them I didnt want so sign anything until I did my homework, they said you can cancel the contract without penalty if I so choose to with in 10 days, I believe. So I was like OK. Of course they got me to talk to their office right away to go over the contract which I agreed (I didn't know anything about that if was bad idea or not I just thought that's the way they do things).

After they left I looked at my gas and energy bill through out the year closely, I found out gas bill would me more then what I am used to paying. So am like OK I am going call and cancel, but then all I keep finding out it may not be as simple as I thought since I singed the contract and confirmed over the phone.

Under the contact that I signed under essential agreement information under I,h it states:

I have the right, by law, to cancel this Contract (by phone, fax, email or registered mail) without cost or penalty within 10 days of it being received by Just Energy. I understand that Just Energy extends my cancellation right to 30 days for the date of my first bill under this Contract.

So I already send them the email on Sunday that I want to cancel my cantract and I asked for confirmation number or a letter that they received my cancellation notice as it says under my cancellation rights, they gave me.
I plan calling them on today (Monday Nov 12) if they are open being stat holiday and all and do it over the phone as well and get my cancellation number (I am planning to record the conversation over the phone on my end as well for my record as well).

Here is one thing that I think I do have in my favour though, when they came to my door it was like -20 outside they kinda rushed and forgot to fill out the "signing date" and when my 5 years is up and I found out under servicealberta.ca under contract is must say when it starts. The guy did point out that my start date may take up to 90 days from the date I signed to contract but that sign in date is not filled out. But from what I could gather from servicealberta if there is no sign in date that the contract could be or it's not vaild.

Any help from you guy would be appreciated, I know I screwed up I don't know if I let my guard down or they were that good. If I can't get out with for free I think I would just pay the penalty and be done with (which could be 700 dollars) just to get this over with and be able to sleep at night as soon as possible. Thanks.
8 replies
Apr 29, 2007
41 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Just try getting through to them! SOmething similar happened to my dad (and what is more infuriating was that he doesn't even speak English well) so I got my brother to follow-up with them.

I understand your anger - but don't feel dispaired just yet.
Nov 11, 2012
9 posts
2 upvotes
Just got off the phone with Just Energy, I was able to get out off contract with out penalty, with no problem. It almost sounded too easy (well I thougth that's the way its supposed go but after hearing some horror stories of people trying to get out contract I was little worried). I just told them why I wanted out and got her name and employee number which is also the cancellation number, time and date. I also got got her to say that there is no penalty for me and I got the conversation on tape just in case they go back on their word. I am just gonna call in couple of days to make sure its cancelled. I can get some sleep now LOL.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
Gas is really cheap right now so beware, more of these vultures will be out trying to sucker you into locking into a high rate. Just say no.
April 28th is a National Day of Mourning for those killed or injured on the job. Mourn for the dead, fight for the living. We all deserve to return home safely at night.
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
How many times do the papers/radio/tv/etc need to tell people NOT to sign anything at your door????
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
alexz28 wrote: Just got off the phone with Just Energy, I was able to get out off contract with out penalty, with no problem. It almost sounded too easy (well I thougth that's the way its supposed go but after hearing some horror stories of people trying to get out contract I was little worried). I just told them why I wanted out and got her name and employee number which is also the cancellation number, time and date. I also got got her to say that there is no penalty for me and I got the conversation on tape just in case they go back on their word. I am just gonna call in couple of days to make sure its cancelled. I can get some sleep now LOL.
Send a registered letter and request a reply. Keep the receipt.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
theguru wrote: How many times do the papers/radio/tv/etc need to tell people NOT to sign anything at your door????
A lot of gas and energy suppliers also advertise warnings to the public that you shouldn't be showing your gas/water-heater/hydro bill to ANYONE going door to door.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Nov 11, 2012
9 posts
2 upvotes
theguru wrote: How many times do the papers/radio/tv/etc need to tell people NOT to sign anything at your door????
Yeah, I know better than that but I don't know how I fell for it this time (I actually never heard or read anything about NOT signing anything at the door before, new first time homeowner here but I guess that's ignorance on my part, live and learn I guess), but I am out of it now.
Nov 11, 2012
9 posts
2 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: Send a registered letter and request a reply. Keep the receipt.
I also send them a email about my cancellation and requested a reply with notice of my cancellation as it stats in my cancellation rights and I saved the copy I also received notice email from them saying that they recevied an email from me. I will call them again to confirm cancellation and also ask for email confirmation. I am also thinking about calling my gas and energy supplier and let them know what has happend just in case Just Energy calls them and request the I want to switch and let them now that's not what I want.