• Dec 17th, 2014 7:12 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 29, 2012
662 posts
171 upvotes
Vancouver

Did you know? American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Gold Card

In another thread I am musing over the amount of credit cards I have and the amount is rather obnoxious. So I'm gong through them and deciding which ones to cancel. Well I just read that you can pay your bills with the American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Gold Card and earn aeroplan miles.

I had no idea! So now I may keep it.

Earn with Bills

Get rewarded for paying your monthly bills. Pay your monthly telephone, cable, electricity, insurance and highway toll bills automatically with your American Express® AeroplanPlus®* Gold Card. By doing so, you’ll easily earn Aeroplan®* Miles every month, which will let you reach your next destination faster.
15 replies
May 19, 2013
92 posts
16 upvotes
Nova Scotia
It's what I've been doing for a year and a half now and have amassed a good pile of Aeroplan miles from it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Is this only for the Gold one? Or any of the other Amex Aeroplan cards?
Jan 8, 2009
895 posts
1301 upvotes
Hot Deal! This could be a candidate for the thread of the year! Thanks!!!!
Dec 1, 2003
608 posts
250 upvotes
Ottawa
I believe you can only pay bills that accept credit cards as payment(i.e. rogers). In this case, you can earn reward with any credit card that has reward points.

I don't believe it is similar to canadian MC where you can pay certain bills where they don't accept cc.

Maybe someone can confirm.
Aug 26, 2014
131 posts
55 upvotes
Markham, ON
I have been paying my monthly bills with Scotia Momentum Infinite Visa for quite sometime. Those payments only give me 1% cash back because the merchants/vendors would need to set up the payments as "recurring" in order to qualify the recurring 2% offered by the bank, in my case they're all counted as single monthly-non recurring payments, hence the 1% earning.

StateFarm --> auto, home, life policies
Rogers --> Cell phones, cable tv, internet
407 ---> ETR

For utilities, Enbridge and Powerstream (Vaughan) they impose, I believe, a 2.5% surcharge on the total if paid by credit cards, and that will defeat the 1% earning.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CCHunter wrote: I have been paying my monthly bills with Scotia Momentum Infinite Visa for quite sometime. Those payments only give me 1% cash back because the merchants/vendors would need to set up the payments as "recurring" in order to qualify the recurring 2% offered by the bank, in my case they're all counted as single monthly-non recurring payments, hence the 1% earning.

StateFarm --> auto, home, life policies
Rogers --> Cell phones, cable tv, internet
407 ---> ETR

For utilities, Enbridge and Powerstream (Vaughan) they impose, I believe, a 2.5% surcharge on the total if paid by credit cards, and that will defeat the 1% earning.
That sounds like it's the merchant accepting a credit card instead of traditional bill payment as a form of payment.

Is this the same with this AMEX? Or is it like Canadian Tire? I believe Canadian Tire still has the upper hand for this feature, right?
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Aug 26, 2014
131 posts
55 upvotes
Markham, ON
Jon Lai wrote: That sounds like it's the merchant accepting a credit card instead of traditional bill payment as a form of payment.

Is this the same with this AMEX? Or is it like Canadian Tire? I believe Canadian Tire still has the upper hand for this feature, right?
You can use Amex to pay for those bills, the merchants accept Amex CC. Canadian Tire has a different setup where you can add all your bills in one place and make payments from CT account, I think.
Jul 15, 2012
303 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Damn, why can't they offer this on my gold charge card... :(
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
I did know this, but we only pay one bill via the Amex and only because I did not want to wait for 2 weeks for the paper work to arrive to sign up via mail - and we are very careful to advise the company of new expiry dates. We just prefer to pay our bills directly - rather than through credit cards.
Mar 25, 2005
63 posts
8 upvotes
I just cancelled my Gold AeroPlanPlus... I use the Canadian Tire one to pay my bills. Might have kept the AmeX if I knew about this.
Jun 29, 2012
662 posts
171 upvotes
Vancouver
No need for sarcasm. Thanks for the replies though.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CCHunter wrote: You can use Amex to pay for those bills, the merchants accept Amex CC. Canadian Tire has a different setup where you can add all your bills in one place and make payments from CT account, I think.
So do the merchants have to accept CC for it to work, or not? If they do, then any credit card can do this. The way Canadian Tire is set up, the merchants do NOT have to accept CC. In fact, people here use CT to pay bills that they would otherwise not be able to pay via CC, for example, hydro bills, property taxes, and university tuition (for universities that do not take CC).
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
Old news. I've paying paying cell & land line, cable, internet, car & house insurance for years with my credit card. You can't pay gas, electricity or water with a credit card unless you use the the Canadian Tire card but all I'd be saving with that is $8/yr so I didn't bother. You can't pray property tax with a credit card in Toronto.