Parenting & Family

Did you skip or delayed certain Vaccinations?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2010 3:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 22, 2007
1023 posts
174 upvotes
GTA ON

Did you skip or delayed certain Vaccinations?

My 6 week old daughter is going to get her first MMR vaccination in 2 weeks. With this vaccination, I've heard that there is a "possible" (not scientifically proven) link to Autism.

I'm debating whether if I should delay the vaccinations to a later time, or when I know her social interaction and communication is perfectly fine.

Have you intentionally skipped or delayed your child's vaccinations because of possible side effects or linked to a disorder?
18 replies
Mar 30, 2010
733 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Nope, just had the kiddies vaccinated so that they wouldn't catch some deadly disease.

The 'rumours' are just that, 'rumours'.

The diseases are also just that, deadly diseases.

I was greatful that both my generation and my children were able to avoid such nightmares as unnecessary infant/childhood death.

Tip: give your baby a bit of infant tylenol about 1/2 hour before the shots.

She will be just fine. :)
Dec 27, 2009
277 posts
46 upvotes
I'd suggest doing your research!!!

In regards to the autism link - I believe all, but the leading researcher on that case rescinded their findings.

We vaccinated both - however with our youngest we spaced out his 1 year shots over a period of a couple of months!

It's a personal choice. We found vaccinating was the better of the two worlds - especially now, with so many un-informed people choosing not to vaccinate.
Sep 16, 2007
53 posts
I didn't wait for any vaccinations. The study linking autism and vaccinations was retracted a few months ago. It was seriously flawed.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 25, 2004
5655 posts
149 upvotes
New Westminster
Despite asking the public health nurses and emailing the appropriate contacts, nobody could point me to any studies indicating that the recommended schedule is actually the "best" schedule.

As mentioned above, we did our own research, keep the vaccines to a minimum and delayed most of them (under perhaps the false assumption that they would be a bit "stronger" to handle the vaccine ... but, then, as mentioned above, nobody could tell me why the schedule was the way that it is).
Oct 15, 2001
945 posts
38 upvotes
I skipped all except the first one. I tried to delay the first one and the doctor bully me into it. I think I should skip the first one too.
laptop-tech wrote: On boxing day everything will be free.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
25 upvotes
getmail99 wrote: I skipped all except the first one. I tried to delay the first one and the doctor bully me into it. I think I should skip the first one too.
I think I won't want YOUR child in MY child's school- particularly if you travel outside of North America.
Why is nobody on RFD accountable for their actions???
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1286 posts
355 upvotes
Gloaming wrote: I think I won't want YOUR child in MY child's school- particularly if you travel outside of North America.
+1

They need to make these mandatory to protect the general population from moron's who believe everything they read
Oct 15, 2001
945 posts
38 upvotes
Gloaming wrote: I think I won't want YOUR child in MY child's school- particularly if you travel outside of North America.
camzie wrote: +1

They need to make these mandatory to protect the general population from moron's who believe everything they read
LOL, please read the old threads, this has been debated many times before.

The OP is asking ideas from both sides and you guys tried to bully the other side.

Every vaccine threads end up like this. I think we should just lock any more vaccine thread.

Do you know what has happened to my child and before you know, you jump to conclusion. Thank you.
camzie wrote: moron's who believe everything they read
This applied to you too. You believe everything you read.
laptop-tech wrote: On boxing day everything will be free.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2005
1191 posts
24 upvotes
Deevusone wrote: My 6 week old daughter is going to get her first MMR vaccination in 2 weeks. With this vaccination, I've heard that there is a "possible" (not scientifically proven) link to Autism.

I'm debating whether if I should delay the vaccinations to a later time, or when I know her social interaction and communication is perfectly fine.

Have you intentionally skipped or delayed your child's vaccinations because of possible side effects or linked to a disorder?
First of all your DD is way too young for the MMR, it's given at 1 year and not 6 weeks. She will be getting the DaPT, Hib, Polio and possibly the Pneumococcal and Meningococcal. I'm not sure if some are also getting the Hep B? WAY too many in my opinion.

You have to research and make a decision for your family. I started researching 15 years ago while pregnant with my first. We decided ultimately not to vaccinate at all and have never regretted our decision once. It's not for everyone, we took precautions, did everything we could to boost their immune systems, no daycare, etc...

Dr. Wakefield's research was pulled and unfortunetly that is the only one to get publicity. I spent years reading medical journal articles on vaccine side effects and assisting parents with severe vaccine reactions in their children. I have gone to many conferences and slowly the medical community is seeing the damage being done, unfortunetly the pharmacutical companies run the medical profession, this is a billion dollar business.

Look at each vaccine and each disease, what are the risks of the disease, is the disease even as issue living in this country, look at the ingredients of each vaccine, etc... I have heard the Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears is a good mainstream medical book for questioning vaccines. I have met Dr. Sears and he is supportive of parents choice. The US vaccine schedule is different from ours and so take that into account when reseaching. We also use some different vaccines too.

Take your time and decide for your baby, delay the appointment and take your time. Good luck :)
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2004
1335 posts
25 upvotes
shoppingmama wrote: I have gone to many conferences and slowly the medical community is seeing the damage being done, unfortunetly *sic the pharmacutical *sic companies run the medical profession, this is a billion dollar business.
I would LOVE to see peer reviewed sources regarding "the damage being done". I would also encourage you to ask your Doctor just how little they get paid every time they provide a vaccination.
Why is nobody on RFD accountable for their actions???
Deal Addict
May 22, 2007
1023 posts
174 upvotes
GTA ON
shoppingmama wrote: First of all your DD is way too young for the MMR, it's given at 1 year and not 6 weeks. She will be getting the DaPT, Hib, Polio and possibly the Pneumococcal and Meningococcal. I'm not sure if some are also getting the Hep B? WAY too many in my opinion.

You have to research and make a decision for your family. I started researching 15 years ago while pregnant with my first. We decided ultimately not to vaccinate at all and have never regretted our decision once. It's not for everyone, we took precautions, did everything we could to boost their immune systems, no daycare, etc...

Dr. Wakefield's research was pulled and unfortunetly that is the only one to get publicity. I spent years reading medical journal articles on vaccine side effects and assisting parents with severe vaccine reactions in their children. I have gone to many conferences and slowly the medical community is seeing the damage being done, unfortunetly the pharmacutical companies run the medical profession, this is a billion dollar business.

Look at each vaccine and each disease, what are the risks of the disease, is the disease even as issue living in this country, look at the ingredients of each vaccine, etc... I have heard the Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears is a good mainstream medical book for questioning vaccines. I have met Dr. Sears and he is supportive of parents choice. The US vaccine schedule is different from ours and so take that into account when reseaching. We also use some different vaccines too.

Take your time and decide for your baby, delay the appointment and take your time. Good luck :)

Thanks. And I'm sorry. You were right about my daughter being too young for the MMR vaccination, I got mixed up with her vaccinations when I was talking to my co-worker about it.
Dec 27, 2009
277 posts
46 upvotes
shoppingmama wrote: It's not for everyone, we took precautions, did everything we could to boost their immune systems, no daycare, etc...

Look at each vaccine and each disease, what are the risks of the disease, is the disease even as issue living in this country, look at the ingredients of each vaccine, etc...

Just out of curiosity since your children do not attend daycare - were they also home schooled? Many people I know whos children NEVER attended daycare had very very sick children the first few years of their school life! So when you say you took precautions did you only do so in the early years or do your children have to live a sheltered life because they weren't vaccinated?

When you say look at the risks of the disease - you have to take into consideration that the risk of a lot of disease in North America is lower because of the majority of the people choosing to vaccinate!!! Keeping in mind that the increasing number of people choosing NOT to is certainly going to increase the chances of those diseases coming back and attacking those children who are not vaccinated. I am curious as the numbers of those chosing not to vaccinate increases - how those statistics will be affected!!! I certainly hope you have open communication with your children as they get older - informing them that they have not been vaccinated - especially when out of country travel is involved!!!
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
I also read a fair bit about it and chose to vaccinate my kids pretty much according to my doctor's schedule. The only one we delayed was the one for chicken pox. We travel a lot with them so they've also received the Twinrix shots. I'm happy with our choice and its worked for our family.

And I agree with the Dr. Sears comments; his website is also really informative and I use it a lot when I'm looking for information on various things.
Jul 1, 2003
884 posts
135 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Our doctor recommended not to give any telenol before receiving the vaccinations. She said it may interfere with the way the body naturally reacts to the vaccine. Maybe check with your doctor before you go to see what he/she suggests? We're following our doctor's advice for all vaccines for our 3 month old...I certainly don't know any better. Good luck with whichever path you choose.
-Some people hear their own voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy or they become Legend.-
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
1023 posts
33 upvotes
Let's look at the facts here:

Vaccines are proven to protect against common, and potentially severe, communicable diseases. Nobody disputes this position.
Vaccines are asserted, by a small minority of Autism activists and researchers, to be a risk factor for the development of Autism. Many people dispute this position.

If your child develops autism after you've had the vaccines, you'll never know for certain if your vaccination decision was a factor.
If your child develops a severe disease that could have been prevented by a vaccination, you'll always know that your vaccination decision was a factor.

I'd rather make a decision armed with knowledge and proof, rather than be guided by fear and conjecture.
May 12, 2009
814 posts
380 upvotes
My niece was born in a country without meningitis vaccinations and contracted bacterial meningitis at around three months. Because it is much more common there, she was diagnosed and treated rapidly. Unfortunately, even "rapidly" came too late and she has a number of serious complications. I also have another friend whose daugther got bacterial menigitis at around 6 weeks. There was a few hours delay in getting her treated since it was low on the diagnostic possibilities, but she was ultimately treated and recovered (she was close to death before the spinal puncture). Unfortunately, she also is showing a number of serious complications.

You must decide what you can live with if the odds turn against you.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
1023 posts
33 upvotes
shoppingmama wrote: You have to research and make a decision for your family. I started researching 15 years ago while pregnant with my first. We decided ultimately not to vaccinate at all and have never regretted our decision once. It's not for everyone, we took precautions, did everything we could to boost their immune systems, no daycare, etc...
Congratulations, you've benefited from the herd immunity provided by the adherence of your neighbours to the vaccination schedule. You got lucky, rather than taking the simple steps that ensure that your family was protected.

I'm interested to know what "precautions" you can take to protect your family when a measles outbreak shows up in your school or community. Does this just involve staying home, avoiding all social contact? These diseases are still around, with outbreaks occurring in developed countries such as Ireland and the UK during the last ten years. In this day and age, that people sill die from easily preventable diseases in developed nations is shameful.
shoppingmama wrote: Dr. Wakefield's research was pulled and unfortunetly that is the only one to get publicity. I spent years reading medical journal articles on vaccine side effects and assisting parents with severe vaccine reactions in their children. I have gone to many conferences and slowly the medical community is seeing the damage being done, unfortunetly the pharmacutical companies run the medical profession, this is a billion dollar business.

What damage? We've been vaccinating people for 50-60 years, and there's no public health crisis resulting from vaccination reactions or other effects. If you think there is, produce some evidence. I understand that there are potential side effects, but the benefits of the vaccines far outweigh the risks. It's convenient to "blame" the pharmaceutical companies, but it's their role in our economy to provide these essential medicines.

Just because you don't see the danger around every day, don't forget that it still exists. You know what was a real public health crisis? Polio, and back then the effects of disease were so blatantly obvious that people didn't question the value of vaccination. It's no wonder that people lined their kids up to get vaccinated ASAP, so they didn't end up in a place like this:
[IMG]http://www.richardbradley.net/shotsinth ... 358230.jpg[/IMG]
Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2010
1595 posts
589 upvotes
@TheDude79

Excellent post, you said everything I would have said!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)