Art and Photography

Didn't win the contest but photo is being used...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2009 7:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 31, 2001
598 posts
10 upvotes

Didn't win the contest but photo is being used...

Hi, don't know if this has happened to anyone else but I needed a place to vent. :) I entered a contest back in 2006 with Nature Quebec(http://www.naturequebec.org) a non-profit which promotes nature conservancy and environmental causes. There were 9 different prizes but I didn't win anything. Didn't think much of it until last winter when I googled my own name (with a common misspelling) to see what was out there and lo and behold among the first links was a link to one of my photos on this site: http://www.citoyenspourlanature.com/fr/ ... /index.asp
It's the big pic of the two woodland caribous and it's credited to me(misspelled).

I also found they used a couple other photos that I entered in their annual report. They also use and credit a bunch of other photos obviously sent in for the contest. I was surprised but knew they had the right since in the rules they stated they could do as they see fit with my submitted photos. Since they credited me I didn't think much more of it other than being a little bugged that they didn't at least tell me they were using it.

Last saturday on the way back home from Quebec City what do I see on a billboard outside of a small town on the way to Rimouski but my photo of the two caribou! They blew it up and are using it for their campaign. Now they do credit me on the billboard but I'm kinda bugged that my photo is good enough to use on a billboard but not win the contest? If they at least would have informed me of their intentions to use it in such a public place i guess I would be less bugged but still...

I'm thinking of writing them. Not sure what yet.

This happen to anyone else?
Have a nice day! :D
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2009
2087 posts
93 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't this a common way to get free photos for commercial purposes?

It's a bit shady, but according to the agreement and consent for the contest it seems like a way to steal but not steal photos.

Sucks to hear about it, and I'm not sure if you have any case for it other than to "out" their contest for what it really is.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2008
1301 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
That's what happens when you enter contests :lol:

Which is also the main reason why I don't participate much in such media whorage events. Pure rights grab from the organizers.

Would love to see a Robotics competition organizer put the line "all patents and design belong to us once we approve your entry" in their forms; see how well that **** would fly.

If the contest was conducted by an organization on the level of National Geographic with a guarantee of all entries being published (with the winners getting a bigger spread obviously), then maybe it's justifiable. Anything else, pass. You gotta take into consideration what happens when you DON'T win, because seriously who's to say the "winner" isn't a made up person and the "published" winning photo isn't a stock photo they purchased from a microstock site? Use 10 bucks but I get thousands of entries and I'm supplied with free photos for whatever purposes I see fit.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3042 posts
21 upvotes
Get someone to take a picture of you standing under the giant billboard.. that's so cool.

Mont Albert is awesome.. I stayed there a few nights a few years back and I can't wait to return again. The hiking in the big park is awesome. The Mont Albert loop still stands as one of the best hikes I've even been on.
Banned
Oct 28, 2003
1741 posts
2 upvotes
Winnipeg, Mb
Most likely in their agreement they say something like "all photos submitted become property of said contest company"

check out this link: http://www.pro-imaging.org/content/view/177/153/

these guys are trying to change that. They also have a "rights on list" that lists contests that WON"T use your images after.

List of Rights on contest: http://www.pro-imaging.org/content/category/21/69/171/

cheers,
beep beep bop beep bup
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2218 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
I totally think you should send a letter. I know you have no right to compensation but at the same time I would address my displeasure with them because of your exact argument.

See what they say you never know.
[OP]
Dec 31, 2001
598 posts
10 upvotes
Borbor wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 2:50 pm
That's what happens when you enter contests :lol:

Which is also the main reason why I don't participate much in such media whorage events. Pure rights grab from the organizers.

Would love to see a Robotics competition organizer put the line "all patents and design belong to us once we approve your entry" in their forms; see how well that **** would fly.

If the contest was conducted by an organization on the level of National Geographic with a guarantee of all entries being published (with the winners getting a bigger spread obviously), then maybe it's justifiable. Anything else, pass. You gotta take into consideration what happens when you DON'T win, because seriously who's to say the "winner" isn't a made up person and the "published" winning photo isn't a stock photo they purchased from a microstock site? Use 10 bucks but I get thousands of entries and I'm supplied with free photos for whatever purposes I see fit.
Yeah, I know that know.

I just checked National Geographic's terms and they will use you submitted photos for whatever they wish. They can even license it to others. I would mind less with NG than with these guys at with NG you have some "prestige". :)
[OP]
Dec 31, 2001
598 posts
10 upvotes
handaphoto wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 2:53 pm
Its true, its a great way to steal pictures and use them as they see fit. Its a bummer that you didn't win. I guess the real win is that they used your photo on a Billboard.. That's amazing!

Not much you can do about it, be happy! ;)
It is pretty cool ;) I plan on taking a pic soon.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7267 posts
1007 upvotes
Toronto
TheBrain wrote:
Oct 14th, 2009 2:38 pm
This happen to anyone else?
Sure did but just once! Now I never enter any contest where I am asked to give away my rights to my work.

In the meanwhile, be flattered and proud that your work is widely used. Given how upset you are, a well written note might be a good idea. If they have any morals at all, they will offer you something in return.
Jul 4, 2009
178 posts
49 upvotes
I'll only enter a contest with terms like that if I respect the organization so much I'd be willing to give them the photo free anyway - which is essentially what you end up doing!
Mar 2, 2005
999 posts
2 upvotes
kinda sucks but that's how it is with these contests
at least you know your work is good enough to be printed on a billboard

you can also go up close to examine it since it's (maybe) rare you would have something of that size printed.

vent to us and just move on and tell your kids that you have a billboard somewhere in QC..haha
Flickr

Toronto lifestyle wedding photography