611 upvotes
Eating every 2-3 hours IS bro science.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5408 posts
611 upvotes
Zero1 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 4:27 pm
The basic general idea is that too much of a carb intake will lead to it turning into sugar which will then turn into fat if you aren't burning what you eat. Eat more than you burn = fat. No way around that basic truth. First place that starts is the gut.

If OP wants to do a dirty bulk where they eat everything and then cut late, sure. Its definitely an option but when cutting down, restrictions will be placed on the nutritional intake.

I said good carbs because they are complex carbs and in general, your body will take longer to break those down (again lower on the hypoglycemic index) compared to other sources of carbs. Most nutritionists/fitness trainers/doctors I have come across will suggest complex over simple.

OP the best thing for you to do is a constant experiment and see what works best for your body. Everyone is different, if you metabolism is fast, then eating every couple of hours might just work for you. Hell worst case if you still can't gain a pound, mass gainers are there for a reason.
Again, there is NO efficient pathway for carbs to be stored as fat. Eating in a surplus does lead to fat being stored. But again, it's FAT that is stored, not carbs. Carbs don't turn 'into' sugar...they ARE 'sugar' (glucose/fructose/lactose etc.). You're aware of how carb intake affects fat oxidation and storage, right?

Dirty/clean bulk are just nicknames for the amount of surplus one eats. Dirty bulk being a nickname for a bigger surplus or no care given to how big the surplus is. I don't think anyone suggested using a massive surplus anyway. The whole good carb- bad carb thing isn't relevant to the topic here. We are talking about a calorie surplus that leads to body weight gain (and hopefully muscle if P intake and training stimulus are sufficient). GI does change th kcal content of food and it's the net balance of energy that dictates weight gain or not.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5408 posts
611 upvotes
dazz wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 8:16 pm
Not true with point 1.
You are contradicting yourself with point 2, no :)
It is calorie in and out yes, absolutely( for the most part) You can eat as late as 2 am if that's your thing and it will not turn into carbs if your calorie intake was under maintenance.
What If I don't wake up at 7am, do I still don't eat after 6pm? :)

If you will provide any studies that support your theory, by all mean please. I've never heard of that before. All people I've met who restrict their food intake after certain hours do it in order to restrict their intake as a variety of intermittent fasting diet. My wife eat 2 hours prior to bed as eating to close and she can't sleep well. For me it is different. I can pig out, have a carb overdose and fall asleep within a minute.

@amz155
Here's the reasoning behind eating every 2-3 hours: Your body is always working. When you did not eat for 4,5,8 hours, it starts eating fats AND muscles so essentially some muscles are being catabolized with no need. When you have a constant intake of food, you will not go in to catabolic state and always create new muscles -speeding up the process. That's the reason bodybuilders eat during the night or use cassein protein - steady supply of food.

If your goal is not to build muscles(as fast as possible) you can sure do intermittent fasting and eat 2-3 times a day. On a cut, eating less frequent is event better and I am all for intermittent fasting and reducing frequency.
Dude, it doesn't work this way. Our muscles aren't being eaten away between meals. Can you provide a link or something of how you came to believe this? Its frustrating that people are still being misled about this concept.

Bodybuilders that wake up in the middle of the night to eat are a TOTALLY different context. The OP is certainly not a genetic elite, taking insane amounts of PEDs, and competing in untested feds. In that context, bros will do anything possible to eke out an additional iota of gains to win.
Banned
Nov 23, 2018
29 posts
14 upvotes
Eat more food. Preferably in fluid form (think shakes and smoothies). Easy peasy.

People in your situation make the assumption that they are somehow "unique." You are not. You don't have a "super fast metabolism" and you don't "eat so much food already." You aren't eating enough food. Period.

Eat lots of meat, whole eggs, fatty fish, nuts, fruits, and vegetables. Your fats should come from animal sources, extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
13558 posts
3620 upvotes
Here 'n There
TheAlphaAndOmega wrote:
Nov 26th, 2018 2:16 pm
Eat more food. Preferably in fluid form (think shakes and smoothies). Easy peasy.

People in your situation make the assumption that they are somehow "unique." You are not. You don't have a "super fast metabolism" and you don't "eat so much food already." You aren't eating enough food. Period.

Eat lots of meat, whole eggs, fatty fish, nuts, fruits, and vegetables. Your fats should come from animal sources, extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil.
Worst thing is to eat food in fluid form. Your stomach wants to digest things not have them go straight into the bloodstream which results in blood sugar spikes.. Eating shakes and smoothies is like putting newspaper in a fireplace instead of wood that has not been broken down yet into paper. If we were intended to eat pulverized food our teeth would have been blenders.

Just eat real live food. It's not that hard. As for eating lots of meat, not good if you know anything about nutrition and disease.