• Jun 20th, 2018 8:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1315 posts
170 upvotes

Difference between cheaper/expensive pads and rotors

Hey all

Just wondering what is the difference between different pads and rotors?

Looking at rock auto they both range from approx $25 to 75 for pads and $20 to $100+ for rotors for most cars. So do the more expensive last for more kms? Any advantage of purchasing the more expensive ones?

Lots of Indy mechanics use Wagner which are usually on less expensive side than other big brands and they perform okay for most ppl.

I am not racing or tracking, just need something reliable and something that lasts longtime?

What’s the best bang for buck? I know akebono get lots of love on this forum but if something one third of akebonos price will do the same thing then why waste money?

Thanks!
28 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2490 posts
1786 upvotes
Centric. /thread
Smash that like button!
Sep 20, 2010
22 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Pads/Rotors along with suspension and tires are safety devices. Spend your bucks on these items.

Usually there is a trade off between long lasting and braking performance: shorter distance the quicker it usually will wear, you choose. What car is it for?

Did you check out:
https://www.autopartsway.ca/
Penalty Box
Nov 8, 2017
2193 posts
674 upvotes
Is this your car??? How much are you saving???
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2594 posts
2602 upvotes
Vancouver
The quality of materials and manufacturing. Which translates into braking performance and durability.

Centric is my first choice.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3230 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
I still have my OEM rotors ... but swapped OEM pads (had less than 50% left after being used for 2 years) for WBR Pads @ 41,000 km. Awesome pads for $90 installed.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3930 posts
874 upvotes
One is cheaper than the other. Price has nothing to do with the quality if that's what you are talking about. Don't be psychologically fooled by the price. It's the material they use that matters. Just read reviews from others about the product and be a smart consumer.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1138 posts
285 upvotes
fq007 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2018 5:56 pm
Hey all

Just wondering what is the difference between different pads and rotors?

Looking at rock auto they both range from approx $25 to 75 for pads and $20 to $100+ for rotors for most cars. So do the more expensive last for more kms? Any advantage of purchasing the more expensive ones?

Lots of Indy mechanics use Wagner which are usually on less expensive side than other big brands and they perform okay for most ppl.

I am not racing or tracking, just need something reliable and something that lasts longtime?

What’s the best bang for buck? I know akebono get lots of love on this forum but if something one third of akebonos price will do the same thing then why waste money?

Thanks!
Wagner is a premium brand manufactured by Federal Mogul.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
13127 posts
1666 upvotes
Even if you do your own brake job, I would always recommend to get premium brake components as you will find that aftermarket crap usually comes with some issue(s). As already mentioned in post #5, do not save on brake components. Those extra 10 or 20 feet in better braking could make a difference between averting an accident and a major collision.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
2590 posts
1246 upvotes
Toronto, ON
One of my friends recently installed WBR brake pads and they squeal a lot. Why is that?
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12834 posts
1641 upvotes
Toronto
I got the centric high carbon rotors. They are coated as well. Lasted maybe a year before they started to rust. Anyhow, I’ll stick with OEM next time so they don’t rust.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33680 posts
7662 upvotes
Ottawa
derass wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 4:57 pm
The quality of materials and manufacturing. Which translates into braking performance and durability.

Centric is my first choice.
And marketing.
Very often the marketing costs re the majority of the cost of the product.
As others have mentioned, check the reviews of the products and decide.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
11505 posts
6317 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Cheap pads = quick wear and good chance of squawking. Get good ceramic pads.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!