Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Is it difficult to do business in Quebec ( Montreal) as an Ontarian?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2017 8:59 am
[OP]
Dec 23, 2012
2 posts
OTTAWA

Is it difficult to do business in Quebec ( Montreal) as an Ontarian?

HI RFD'ers. I am currently operating a local store in Ottawa. business is going well so I would like to start my second store. The type of business i am in is pretty unique. after doing some research, I think Montreal is a good place for me to start my second store. ( no competitors). I do realize in Quebec, there are different laws and rules for business and there are even specific city rules in Montreal. I have tried to research on the City of Montreal website. I could not find any details about how to start a business in Montreal. As in comparison, there is a really clear layout of how to start a business in Ottawa on the city of Ottawa website. I have also heard from some of my friends that, the Quebec government does not want people from Ontario to do business in Quebec. So they make really strict rules to shut down business from Ontario. So now I am trying to see if there are anyone who has experience doing business in both Ontario and Quebec (even better in Montreal) who can share their experience in terms of government regulations, business store fit-up process, getting business license and registering a business in Quebec and taxes reporting. In my case i feel like making a post like this will not give me enough info to start my project. it will probably be wise to hire a company to help me with this. But i dont even know where to start. Hopefully someone can point me to the right direction. Thank you
4 replies
[OP]
Dec 23, 2012
2 posts
OTTAWA
Rules I meant are something like : 1. Is there any restriction to start a business in Montreal as an Ontarian ? 2. Where can I find the zoning info for the right zoning for my business ? 3. When I do store fit up what are the requirements eg. Accessible Washroom? Parking spots ? In Ottawa I can get all these questions answered on the city of Ottawa website . But where can I get the info for Montreal I have got through the city website for Montreal . I didn't get anything . It looks like they use a different system or something .
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
1266 posts
233 upvotes
Nov 5th, 2017 10:43 pm

1. there is no reason why you couldn't start a business in montreal
2. you want to rent or buy ? if you rent just ask the person in charge of renting you the real estate if you can operated as X business. if you buy, check for commercial zoning that's it
3. when you renovate, you have to a contractor that has a RBQ license, and that has employees with CCQ cards, they cost a shitload of money but that's how it works in quebec.
Jul 19, 2010
14 posts
4 upvotes
There are no jurisdictions in Canada that want to dissuade investment from anyone these days. Your best bet is to find an accountant, notary or lawyer to help you, but a great first step is to check out the PME Montreal site. They have a mandate to help small businesses set up here. Check out https://pmemtl.com/en,