Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9536 posts
1692 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Digital Camera info

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying this Canon Digital Camera as a gift to myself,

Canon PowerShot 12.1MP Digital Camera (SD780IS)
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/prodde ... &langid=EN

I have been watching this camera for about a year or so but have not bought it because I never really needed it, however I plan on going on vacation in Jan and would like to pick one up to take pictures.

My question is, when does Canon usually release new Cameras? I'm just thinking do I buy this now then a month later they bring out the next model to this that may be better?

Thanks
0_o
<_<
>_>
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7977 posts
1063 upvotes
sickcars wrote:
Dec 21st, 2009 3:01 am
My question is, when does Canon usually release new Cameras? I'm just thinking do I buy this now then a month later they bring out the next model to this that may be better?

Thanks
I honestly wouldn't worry, each new p&s iteration only takes incremental steps forward if any...
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14968 posts
1926 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Winkle wrote:
Dec 21st, 2009 8:10 am
I honestly wouldn't worry, each new p&s iteration only takes incremental steps forward if any...
and obviously the price would be higher on the newer model that comes out.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
9536 posts
1692 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Matrixvibe wrote:
Dec 21st, 2009 4:29 pm
and obviously the price would be higher on the newer model that comes out.
well as long as the price was not something insane, I would be willing to pay more for something better.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Aug 27, 2009
319 posts
3 upvotes
TO
I think they usually announce them when there's a photo convention like pma or photokina or perhaps CES or something and besides if you look at the history, its right before summer and right before the holiday season. They are announced jan-may and aug-nov. Well around that time. They usually don't announce any new techs during the holiday season. At the earliest probably january. If you are going on January and they do announce one on january then it will probably be out maybe around feb-mar. Check out dpreview check the announcement history, get some info when they started to get on the shelves, you can get that by searching google. It will take a while to get all the data but the more data you have the better estimate you will probably get. But like any estimates its not set in stone and canon might surprise you.