Digital Camera Recommendation Product Shots

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2018 6:23 pm
[OP]
Aug 20, 2018
47 posts
33 upvotes

Digital Camera Recommendation Product Shots

Anyone have a recommendation for a good camera to take product shots with? It would be product shots that I would post on a blog that I own. The site would be akin to a product blog, or like a review site. For example, I could review a computer gaming mouse, or take a picture of the nib of a fountain pen or a bottle of nail polish.

I am not taking photos to sell professionally, so I am not sure if I need to up my budget to advanced DSLR levels.

I am therefore asking help on:
1) Setting a reasonable budget
2) Recommendations for actual cameras and some buying tips/advice from the RFD experts here, what to look for, what to consider etc...
14 replies
Nov 7, 2007
908 posts
721 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
I'm sure you'll get some replies but, you need to set the budget for others to go by.
Reasonable budget is subjective to any one person.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1016 posts
311 upvotes
You're in luck. Products photography is one of the least expensive type to start with. Since everything is static, you can use entry level equipments and it'll do fine, like a steady but heavy tripod, a weaker LED umbrella, etc.

In the used market, find the cheapest, modern DSLR (from the last 3-4 years), it'll probably come with a kit lens, use it to see if you need less depth of field (out of focus area) or not and see if you need a new lens. Get a tripod, watch a couple of tutorials on Youtube about how to use your camera + hints for product photography and you're set for now. Get a flash or constant LED light later if you need it.

I think with the cheapest DSLR + tripod, you should be fine with $500-600. Remember to keep some money for props. You can have a Hasselblad medium format camera and it won't help you if you have an ugly set up.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4631 posts
711 upvotes
Lol. What's a reasonable budget? To some $100 is reasonable and to others it can be $2000.
Jan 18, 2017
352 posts
107 upvotes
Camera doesn't matter nearly as much as lighting. I'd grab a cheap used DSLR or mirrorless camera with a hotshoe, and have it trigger a "speedlite" like the godox tt685 on a stand with an umbrella. Of course you'll need an infinity white wall but you can likely DIY that quite simply.

Any DSLR from the last decade+ would produce amazing shots given the ideal conditions in a studio setting. I've seen a Canon 40D for $150 and a 20D for $60 hahaha, that's crazy cheap.

Good luck.

edit: Kijiji LInks:

40D: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorde ... nFlag=true
20D: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorde ... nFlag=true

Of course you'll need CF cards, and a lens - probably a used 50/1.8 would fit the bill.

This was a super quick search, so it's unlikely it's the best deal. It might be worthwhile to get something a bit newer with features you may need, do a bit more digging.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10990 posts
5164 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Use white foamcore as reflectors, you could do it with a phone and simple light sources. Product photography is lighting, technique and editing.

On an old iPhone 4S https://fstoppers.com/bts/stunning-prod ... lamp-46893

Artificial lighting too daunting? Use natural window light and white seamless paper.

There's no magic bullet with an advanced camera, it's just a tool, you still need to learn and understand the craft.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4631 posts
711 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 4:14 pm
A tripod is important, product shots are often in slower shutter speeds than what is capable handheld.
Not if you use strobes. I never use tripods for product photos.
Jan 18, 2017
352 posts
107 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 11:22 pm
Use white foamcore as reflectors, you could do it with a phone and simple light sources. Product photography is lighting, technique and editing.

On an old iPhone 4S https://fstoppers.com/bts/stunning-prod ... lamp-46893

Artificial lighting too daunting? Use natural window light and white seamless paper.

There's no magic bullet with an advanced camera, it's just a tool, you still need to learn and understand the craft.
Great shots! Maybe start here which doesn't involve you investing in strobes just yet.
AlphaStar wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 3:36 pm
Gin Martini
KevCnew
AncasterRFD

Thank you for your posts. I have decided on a Canon SL2 with 18-55mm IS STM kit lens and a Canon 50mm 1.8 prime lens.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/first-ti ... #p30075272
Nice! Get familiar with it then move onto flash photography, it's a whole new world that's super powerful.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10990 posts
5164 upvotes
Southern Ontario
mebiuspower wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 8:47 am
Not if you use strobes. I never use tripods for product photos.
True. If OP is learning, best to keep it simple with window light or with what-you-see is what-you-get static LED lights. A tripod is also good practice shooting stills, camera is rock steady no matter what SS. It's in one perspective and OP can see the effect of varying Av/SS/ISO. Diffused window light is naturally beautiful and easy to work with, small products mentioned by OP.

[OP]
Aug 20, 2018
47 posts
33 upvotes
Just an update: I ended up skipping on the SL2 and went with the T6.

I may look into a tripod also.

Btw, nice set up AncasterRFD.

Thanks for posting that image and the previous ones. Pretty cool.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10990 posts
5164 upvotes
Southern Ontario
AlphaStar wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 2:29 pm
Just an update: I ended up skipping on the SL2 and went with the T6.

I may look into a tripod also.

Btw, nice set up AncasterRFD.

Thanks for posting that image and the previous ones. Pretty cool.
Thanks, not my setup, just for demo purposes.
I’m a Canon user, have a couple of 5DIV’s, mainly portraits and weddings but I’ll shoot anything for fun. Any reason you went with the lesser T6? SL2 is superior in many ways.
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/New ... News=21081
[OP]
Aug 20, 2018
47 posts
33 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 5:03 pm
Thanks, not my setup, just for demo purposes.
I’m a Canon user, have a couple of 5DIV’s, mainly portraits and weddings but I’ll shoot anything for fun. Any reason you went with the lesser T6? SL2 is superior in many ways.
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/New ... News=21081
I went with the T6 mainly because of cost. I couldn't justify the extra ISO, 60fps versus 30fps on 1080p (4k was not available on either), STM versus DC lens, extra megapixels, higher burst rate, multi-angle screen.

I figured for my purposes a T6 plus 50mm 1.8 + light box would produce very comparable results to an SL2 with 50mm 1.8 + light box.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10990 posts
5164 upvotes
Southern Ontario
That works, an even more budget approach is getting a used T4i, more camera than a T6 believe it or not. If you must DSLR, I’d even look at used Nikons at the same price point yet better dynamic range. Mirrorless offerings and phone advancements in general have flooded the used market with fully capable DSLR’s. My 2nd 5DIV and all my L lenses are off kijiji. However, without someone that knows what to look for, you probably have peace of mind with a new unit.