Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 30, 2010
202 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto

Digital TV Adapter for basic cable

Right now I have basic analog cable with Rogers and the channels are dwindling. Can i buy any digital tv adapter to get the channels back? Or i 100% need the Rogers one?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8368 posts
1572 upvotes
London
thegameplayer17 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2014 1:28 am
Right now I have basic analog cable with Rogers and the channels are dwindling. Can i buy any digital tv adapter to get the channels back? Or i 100% need the Rogers one?
Rogers should provide a basic digital adapter for free for each outlet you're paying for.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10839 posts
3540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Ottomaddox wrote:
Oct 20th, 2014 7:43 am
Rogers should provide a basic digital adapter for free for each outlet you're paying for.
Where would one find an adapter for outlets one isn't paying for? Is each adapter uniquely enabled by Robbers, i.e. such that third party adapters won't work?

I have a rarely-used TV that's on an "unpaid" outlet. I'd rather not lose that by getting an adapter for the primary TV.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10454 posts
1985 upvotes
Nowhere
bylo wrote:
Oct 20th, 2014 8:13 am
Where would one find an adapter for outlets one isn't paying for? Is each adapter uniquely enabled by Robbers, i.e. such that third party adapters won't work?
Yep Rogers controls it for the channels you pay for. Sometimes you turn it on and you don't have the channels you've paid for and have to call Rogers to enable it. That's why I use an antenna. If you live in an area with good reception, I suggest you get one too and then you don't have to deal with these stupid boxes. However for basic cable, channels 1 -28 are supposed to be available without a box.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2010
202 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Cheap Cat wrote:
Oct 20th, 2014 11:59 am
Yep Rogers controls it for the channels you pay for. Sometimes you turn it on and you don't have the channels you've paid for and have to call Rogers to enable it. That's why I use an antenna. If you live in an area with good reception, I suggest you get one too and then you don't have to deal with these stupid boxes. However for basic cable, channels 1 -28 are supposed to be available without a box.
Ottomaddox wrote:
Oct 20th, 2014 7:43 am
I can't call Rogers since I don't pay them. I had internet with them but i cancelled, cable tv somehow still worked after cancellation.

Is there anything i can do to get channels past 28 back?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10839 posts
3540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Cheap Cat wrote:
Oct 20th, 2014 11:59 am
That's why I use an antenna. If you live in an area with good reception, I suggest you get one too and then you don't have to deal with these stupid boxes.
I don't. Worse my condo corp disallows the outside antenna I'd need to get Toronto and Buffalo OTA. So I'm essentially stuck with my choice of poison, Robbers or Bhell. I've considered something like Netflix but AFAIK that doesn't get me local programming or specialty channels like CBC Newsworld.
However for basic cable, channels 1 -28 are supposed to be available without a box.
Which is what I've got, primarily for my wife's use. If I had a viable alternative I'd be Robbers-free in a heartbeat.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8368 posts
1572 upvotes
London
thegameplayer17 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2014 12:12 pm
I can't call Rogers since I don't pay them. I had internet with them but i cancelled, cable tv somehow still worked after cancellation.

Is there anything i can do to get channels past 28 back?
Without opening your wallet? No.
Apr 5, 2016
3 posts
Even with the provided Digital-to-Analog TV adapter, Rogers is silently downgrading it remotely. I have a couple of them and used to be able to view channels up-to channel 60'ish. I recently switched to a new cable package (from VIP to Premium) and as soon as the switch took place, all except the basic over the air channels were gone. I called Rogers and was told that this is part of Rogers' plan to gradually withdraw support for those digital-to-analog TV adapters (therefore forcing its customers to pay for the rental of the NEXTbox!). The remote downgrade is effective as soon as a customer is switching cable package AND, THEY DON'T TELL YOU ABOUT IT! And, the CSR is not allowed to restore it. I find that this is high handed, what do you think?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10839 posts
3540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
wblonline wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:24 pm
I find that this is high handed, what do you think?
Of course it is. As is the letters they used to send us every year that spun $5 to $10 annual fee increases as being used to serve us better. That too was high-handed considering that they were using our fees to build out more digital infrastructure while steadily decreasing the number of channels we were getting on D-to-A service. This thread is now some three years old. We finally had enough of the Robbers, cut the cord and became a Robbers-free home. Better still we couldn't be happier.
veni, vidi, Visa