Cell Phones

Dilemma -two phones (fido rogers) that needed to swap...

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2014 1:20 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 20, 2014
247 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
Are you guys really this daft? Rogers OWNS FIDO. A rogers locked iphone 6 will WORK PERFECTLY with a FIDO SIM........

The logic of "it locks to the first SIM's carrier you put it in" is bollocks because

a) If i buy a telus iPhone and put a rogers SIM in it, for example, that wouldn't work, because the phone is locked to telus.
b) If the phone is factory unlocked, then its not going to "lock" to the first SIM card's carrier that i put it in, it will STAY unlocked.
Sep 20, 2014
247 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
Oh, and for what its worth my friend has an iPhone 4s that was "locked to rogers" as per the kijiji seller he bought it from, it had a rogers SIM in it (with service) when he bought it, then he put his fido sim in and it worked fine. Rogers and fido phones are interchangeable as are Bell and Virgin's and as are Telus and Koodo's.
Sep 20, 2014
247 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
My friend's phone even says "ROGERS" on it for a few seconds when he switches it on before switching to "Fido" ...
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Gozitano wrote: Are you guys really this daft? Rogers OWNS FIDO. A rogers locked iphone 6 will WORK PERFECTLY with a FIDO SIM........

The logic of "it locks to the first SIM's carrier you put it in" is bollocks because

a) If i buy a telus iPhone and put a rogers SIM in it, for example, that wouldn't work, because the phone is locked to telus.
b) If the phone is factory unlocked, then its not going to "lock" to the first SIM card's carrier that i put it in, it will STAY unlocked.
is not logic, it has been proven before
even Rogers own Fido. Don't forget Fido had its own locked phone before Rogers bought them.
So not all phones will work between Roger and Fido.

and OP tried his rogers IPhone 6 with Fido and did not work.

Koodo was a company started by Telus, So they didn't create a different lock for it
Bell , Virgin, Solo same idea

Rogers will work with chatr wireless, cause Rogers started this company
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Dec 3, 2013
223 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi EugW. I can confirm that Rogers phones work with Chatr and Rogers but not Fido (and vice versa). We do that switch all the time.
EugW wrote: I too am interested. I read somewhere that Rogers iPhones are good for Chatr and Rogers, but not Fido, and vice versa, but I've never tried that myself.
As the co-founder of a business dedicated to making it easy to buy and sell used iPhones, I have fairly extensive experience navigating Craigslist/Kijiji for used iPhones, and also troubleshooting said iPhones.
Dec 3, 2013
223 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Keigotw wrote: is not logic, it has been proven before
even Rogers own Fido. Don't forget Fido had its own locked phone before Rogers bought them.
So not all phones will work between Roger and Fido.

and OP tried his rogers IPhone 6 with Fido and did not work.

Koodo was a company started by Telus, So they didn't create a different lock for it
Bell , Virgin, Solo same idea

Rogers will work with chatr wireless, cause Rogers started this company
+1

Try again Gozitano
As the co-founder of a business dedicated to making it easy to buy and sell used iPhones, I have fairly extensive experience navigating Craigslist/Kijiji for used iPhones, and also troubleshooting said iPhones.
Oct 25, 2010
855 posts
415 upvotes
As the others say. I know Rogers owns fido but fido sim doesn't work for this Rogers phone. Speakout sim works but not fido sim.
Sep 26, 2014
13 posts
1 upvote
Burnaby, BC
Why not just buy your own unlock code online? Do you really think something will go wrong? It's not like you can bork your phone up.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
PhreshP wrote: Why not just buy your own unlock code online? Do you really think something will go wrong? It's not like you can bork your phone up.
Unlocking iphone from 3rd party is not cheap
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Sep 20, 2014
247 posts
30 upvotes
Ontario
Well can anyone explain how my friends phone works with ROGERS and FIDO Sims? But not my Telus sim?
Oct 25, 2010
855 posts
415 upvotes
3rd party also immediately invalidates Apple warranty as well as Apple care. This was confirmed to me in Apple store when I bought the phone.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
22529 posts
8938 upvotes
Toronto
tritium4ever wrote: The question I was answering wasn't asking about the iPhone...
And the question he was asking was in a thread about the iPhone.

The bottom line here is that different phones behave differently. Just because one locked Windows phone will work with both Rogers and Fido, it's certainly not true of the iPhone, and it's not even true with lots of other phones (including Android).
AlexatOrchard wrote: Hi EugW. I can confirm that Rogers phones work with Chatr and Rogers but not Fido (and vice versa). We do that switch all the time.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Gozitano wrote: Well can anyone explain how my friends phone works with ROGERS and FIDO Sims? But not my Telus sim?
must be a fluke or error by Apple
just like how this guy bought a Locked Fido, but it is actually worked with Telus, Rogers, and T-mobile
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... st13948457

or this guy that bought unlocked directly from Apple. But it was actually Locked to Fido
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... lly-Locked
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Feb 3, 2010
270 posts
38 upvotes
In the past Apple had different models of phones with GSM and CDMA bands. Your phone worked on Rogers and Fido because it must have been unlocked or it never locked. It happens. But it wouldn't have worked on Telus. Ask your friend to manually search for Cellular Carrier on the phone and tell me if you see Telus on the list?

The 2nd gen iPhone5 and after, Apple combined all the bands in one device.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)