[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1146 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto, ON

diploma or degree for international student

Hi, I am so sad today
I was trying to get admission for one of my relative who wants to come to canada after grade 12 but the course I was looking for is already full for Aug 2018 and this person is still studying in grade 12.
I could not get correct information on time hence missed it. I was not sure even if you could apply without the grade 12 marksheets ( they will be available in May/June)

Anywasy that is making me rethink my options
this course I was referring to is a 2 year diploma . For getting a beginner level job is a 2 year diploma good eneough or a degree is recommended. Field is IT.
I was thinking that if a 2 year diploma can fetch a entry job then he could apply for PR ( its in other provaince not Ontario)
4 year is too long and more expensive but if it is more useful then I might advise him for it.
Which is easy for getting PR ( a diploma or a degree)
3 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2394 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto
CocoJambo wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 12:23 pm
Hi, I am so sad today
I was trying to get admission for one of my relative who wants to come to canada after grade 12 but the course I was looking for is already full for Aug 2018 and this person is still studying in grade 12.
I could not get correct information on time hence missed it. I was not sure even if you could apply without the grade 12 marksheets ( they will be available in May/June)

Anywasy that is making me rethink my options
this course I was referring to is a 2 year diploma . For getting a beginner level job is a 2 year diploma good eneough or a degree is recommended. Field is IT.
I was thinking that if a 2 year diploma can fetch a entry job then he could apply for PR ( its in other provaince not Ontario)
4 year is too long and more expensive but if it is more useful then I might advise him for it.
Which is easy for getting PR ( a diploma or a degree)
A degree will always be better when applying for PR status because you get more points.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1146 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
blitzforce wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 4:26 pm
A degree will always be better when applying for PR status because you get more points.
well, I am not sure how this point system work.
Students fresh from college or uni might not have much points any way because of lack of experience hence the job route might be good because with job he can get PNP.
then the points will get boosted.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2394 posts
427 upvotes
Toronto
CocoJambo wrote:
Feb 20th, 2018 8:39 pm
well, I am not sure how this point system work.
Students fresh from college or uni might not have much points any way because of lack of experience hence the job route might be good because with job he can get PNP.
then the points will get boosted.
My friend is an international student and I was told that there is a huge difference between the points for diploma and a degree when applying for PR. A lot of the times its only a few points difference between being accepted or not.