Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 27, 2006
416 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa

Direct TV in canada?

My friend lives in las vegas, if I pick up a direct TV kit when im over there, have it billed to his address in las vegas, can I bring the dish and set it up in a house in Canada and it will work fine? with the bills going to Las Vegas?

Direct TV is coming out with 70 new HDTV channels and I am going to visit my friend in vegas.

what kind of problems might this give me?
37 replies
Jan 25, 2004
972 posts
yakkers wrote:
Jul 15th, 2007 5:35 pm
My friend lives in las vegas, if I pick up a direct TV kit when im over there, have it billed to his address in las vegas, can I bring the dish and set it up in a house in Canada and it will work fine? with the bills going to Las Vegas?
yup
My eBay Feedback
Heatware ID SledBC
Banned
Mar 27, 2007
1658 posts
Markham, Toronto
i dunno what about quebec but here in toronto there is some chinese malls which sell the dishes which can be illegal used or "activated" to and have it billed to ur canadian home
Jun 27, 2006
405 posts
48 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Yes, as long as you have a US billing address you can get DTV. This is basically what RV'ers do - have a home address and the dish in the RV travelling around the US and Canada.

You can also get Dish in Canada for free. They will likely have a similar service for HD soon, and there are new FTA boxes coming that have HDTV.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2006
416 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
CanAm wrote:
Jul 15th, 2007 7:55 pm
Yes, as long as you have a US billing address you can get DTV. This is basically what RV'ers do - have a home address and the dish in the RV travelling around the US and Canada.

You can also get Dish in Canada for free. They will likely have a similar service for HD soon, and there are new FTA boxes coming that have HDTV.

do you mean dishnetwork for free?
Jun 27, 2006
405 posts
48 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
yakkers wrote:
Jul 15th, 2007 8:12 pm
do you mean dishnetwork for free?
Yes
[OP]
Nov 27, 2006
416 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
is there currently any way to get HDTV for free, other than "free to air".
Jun 27, 2006
405 posts
48 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
yakkers wrote:
Jul 15th, 2007 8:34 pm
is there currently any way to get HDTV for free, other than "free to air".
I don't really know what you mean. FTA is just a term to descripe the generic equipment used for FTA programs. FTA systems are also used to recieved "pay" signals as well. Yes there are severl HD channels available for "free"

Here is a list of Dish HD channels:

DISH Network HD channels include: HDNet, HDNet Movies, Universal HD, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, Discovery HD, TNT in HD, Ultra HD, Monsters HD, Rave HD, Equator HD, Food HD, Gallery HD, Animania HD, Rush HD, HD News, Guy TV HD, Majestic HD, Film Fest, FU, Gameplay, National Geographic, HGTV, Treasure HD, and World Cinema, HBO HDTV, Showtime HD, Starz HD, Dish on Demand PPV in HD, and CBS HDTV
[OP]
Nov 27, 2006
416 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
I meant "over the air antenna" not "free to air" sorry.

so there are free to air machines that work with HDTV.... thats good to know.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2006
416 posts
7 upvotes
Ottawa
I dont see NBC, ABC or CBS on that list?
Jun 27, 2006
405 posts
48 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
There are more. That is the first list I found off google.

There are a few HDTV channels off-air. It varies by city. Canada is poor for of-air TV in general. In fact off-air HDTV is better that cable or sat HD due to the larger bandwidth.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
5658 posts
206 upvotes
Even if you're paying for it...I *believe* it is illegal to have Direct TV here in Canada since it doesn't comply with the CRTC.

Again, I'm not 100% sure on this...but if you wish to be a law abiding citizen I'd look more into this if I were you.

Then again, it's not like a cop is going to see a Direct TV dish on the side of your house and knock and your door and arrest you...they have better things to worry about.
Jun 27, 2006
405 posts
48 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Octavius wrote:
Jul 15th, 2007 9:07 pm
Even if you're paying for it...I *believe* it is illegal to have Direct TV here in Canada since it doesn't comply with the CRTC.

Again, I'm not 100% sure on this...but if you wish to be a law abiding citizen I'd look more into this if I were you.

Then again, it's not like a cop is going to see a Direct TV dish on the side of your house and knock and your door and arrest you...they have better things to worry about.
Yes, it is a personal decision. I have both Dish and Bell on my FTA. I also use VOIP, so my bills are pretty low for utilities! ;)
May 25, 2012
1 posts
BOWMANVILLE
Is there a satellite service I can buy in Canada for our RV that will work all over Canada and the US?
I know I can buy in the states and it'll work here but I'd rather have a Canadian service that works down south.
We spend winters in southern California and live summers in southern Ontario.
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14060 posts
16829 upvotes
hydroracer wrote:
May 26th, 2012 11:06 am
Is there a satellite service I can buy in Canada for our RV that will work all over Canada and the US?
I know I can buy in the states and it'll work here but I'd rather have a Canadian service that works down south.
We spend winters in southern California and live summers in southern Ontario.

Shaw Direct (Formally known as StarChoice)
More info: http://www.canadasatellite.ca/Shaw-Dire ... s/1245.htm
× < >