Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
DirectCanada

Unlocked Blackberry 16GB Dtek50 5.2" Secure Android LTE Smartphone Black $299.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2017 2:57 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6654 posts
1455 upvotes

[DirectCanada] Unlocked Blackberry 16GB Dtek50 5.2" Secure Android LTE Smartphone Black $299.99

Deal Link:
Price:
$299.99
Savings:
$129.01
Expiry:
February 18, 2017
Retailer:
DirectCanada
More offers from DirectCanada
Directcanada deal of the day, for those who missed it during Boxing week for the same price.
Limit 2 per customer at DC, $299.99 (cheaper than blackberry store)
http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=34921134091

Yes the size is 16GB probably less with the OS installed, but do not need to worry it is not an Apple product and the memory is expandable via microSD

PM opportunities exist at NCIX and Staples if you want to do in store pick up.
http://www.ncix.com/detail/blackberry-d ... 134091.htm
http://www.staples.ca/en/BlackBerry-DTE ... CA_1_20001

Please go easy on the downvotes,
I know some of you dislike Blackberry and will downvote immediately once you see the word blackberry but it's a Canadian company and it's a good phone for the price imo.
17 replies
Oct 1, 2008
150 posts
70 upvotes
Northerner867 wrote: interesting that it's just a rebranded Idol 4...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcatel_Idol_4
It is spec wise, but not software or security: Dtek 50 has unique ID, verified boot, a hardened kernel, and full disk encryption. Not a good android phone to root, but a good one for a consumer worried about his/her security.
Jun 4, 2016
211 posts
227 upvotes
People actually believe these stories how Blackberry phones are more secure than others? :)
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10644 posts
7234 upvotes
Crowny10 wrote: People actually believe these stories how Blackberry phones are more secure than others? :)
Probably...there doesn't seem to be any root, custom ROM, custom kernel...etc.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/dtek50

Or...it's just not worth getting a BlackBerry phone to begin with?
Aug 4, 2012
328 posts
262 upvotes
Cambridge
Got one for my mom on Boxing Day, for the price it's fantastic. Definitely one of the best phones you can get for $300 CAD at the moment.34
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
I have one of the last BlackBerry phones with a BlackBerry OS, a Z30. Very happy with it.

Are these Android BlackBerry phones loaded with all the usual Android Bloatware etc.?
Nov 24, 2008
316 posts
143 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
Thank you OP.

Almost jumped with shopblackberry's $344 price. Glad I waited. Making the jump back to Android from BB10. Will miss it. An awesome OS, really, if you haven't tried it, you don't know how good it is. However, I don't see a future in it anymore. App support keeps dropping and now Koodo no longer supports their BB app which means I can't pay my bill using my phone anymore. Not even the browser is supported by Koodo! I haz big sad, but I still wouldn't leave BB10 unless it was for the BB Android version.
Aug 15, 2014
46 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
That's a good deal. I'm guessing these phones are getting cheaper because the Mercury's coming soon.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
TartanToed wrote: Thank you OP.

Almost jumped with shopblackberry's $344 price. Glad I waited. Making the jump back to Android from BB10. Will miss it. An awesome OS, really, if you haven't tried it, you don't know how good it is. However, I don't see a future in it anymore. App support keeps dropping and now Koodo no longer supports their BB app which means I can't pay my bill using my phone anymore. Not even the browser is supported by Koodo! I haz big sad, but I still wouldn't leave BB10 unless it was for the BB Android version.
Same boat. Clinging to my z30 but the sadness about Koodo is great. Hate not being able to log in.

Any answers to PP question a out bloatware?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
Is there a warranty on this one?
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
2028 posts
2009 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Good price on a Blackberry but a bad price on a phone with these type of specifications. Only buy if you absolutely must have Blackberry security and operating system.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
TartanToed wrote: Thank you OP.

When I was with Koodo I got an emailed bill every month and paid it by calling in my credit card or online banking.

Do you really need to use the app? If you wanted to make an occasional account change you could log on with a computer or laptop, right?
Mar 30, 2009
995 posts
208 upvotes
Toronto
I still use my BB Passport and love it. Great battery life and a work horse of a phone.
Nov 24, 2008
316 posts
143 upvotes
Dartmouth NS
Inno wrote: When I was with Koodo I got an emailed bill every month and paid it by calling in my credit card or online banking.

Do you really need to use the app? If you wanted to make an occasional account change you could log on with a computer or laptop, right?
Of course I can log in on a pc or call in, and it's what I've been doing for the past couple of months, but it's not as convenient or as time saving as the app; especially when you want to review data usage. Last time I called in to pay my bill, I was on the phone over 15 minutes. Maybe you have that much time to waste on hold every month, but I don't.
Last edited by TartanToed on Feb 18th, 2017 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 17, 2016
293 posts
288 upvotes
If you believe in security by obscurity then go for it. Academics tend to disagree with you

You are vulnerable to baseband hacking to begin with. No root means they decided to hardcode a secret key only they know, and will cooperate with authorities if their sales in a country are potentially affected. I guess some have already forgotten their cooperation history and stance against customer data.

Given dubious claim of added security, question becomes is this hardware worth $300, and answer is a no.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5679 upvotes
VANCOUVER
forexnut wrote: ...but a good one for a consumer worried about his/her security.
Are there a lot of those?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1356 posts
344 upvotes
Using a BB Passport and Classic and I love both phones. Tried a Priv and sold it in less than a month and went back to my BB devices. BB on Android, the Priv at least, just isn't the same experience. If you've come to enjoy BB 10 OS, this is going to feel like a pretty big letdown. The Hub feels half baked, such as having double notifications (you get two notifications, one for the Hub and one for the actual app), and you cannot reply directly through the Hub like you can on BB 10.

Not saying you shouldn't go for it, but just know ahead of time you'll have to temper your expectations as regards to the BB experience.
"Portfolios are like a bar of soap. The more you touch it the smaller it gets" - Preet Banerjee
"You don't have to make it back the way you lost it." - Warren Buffett