Home & Garden

Which direction is best to have Condo face?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2006 12:38 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 20, 2004
769 posts
248 upvotes

Which direction is best to have Condo face?

The condo is a square rotated 45 degrees, so the corners of the square face the north, south, east and west directions.

The unit I like have 2 versions on each floor, one on the left and one on the right corners.

The one on the left corner faces NE and SE.

The one on the right corner faces NW and SW.

Which corner is better? I would think the right corner is better since once it passes noon, you would get the sun until sunset.

Please give me your opinions.

Thanks!
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1982 posts
10 upvotes
Kingston
i bought a house last year, and i noticed alot of places had southern exposure listed as a plus. I never saw any that said 'backyard with eastern exposure!" but lots that said that about the south.
I'm guessing you're right in your thoughts....of course my guess isn't very scientific :)
Banned
Jan 21, 2004
2600 posts
5 upvotes
Ryus wrote:Which corner is better? I would think the right corner is better since once it passes noon, you would get the sun until sunset.
I personally like morning sun since it is an indicator of a new day. Where I live now totally faces the west and I get a lot of before sunset action but it is boring at first and later becomes disturbing. Summer days you just want to get out of this place until sunsets because you can't see anything and your body just wants to relax. Of course these are subjective comments and vary from person to the person.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
12253 posts
858 upvotes
I'm thinking SE is ideal. I've had SW facing condos, and they get too bright and HOT in the late afternoon, just when you might be wanting to chill out after work. SE will get you up early, be bright all day.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2005
8840 posts
Vancouver
Which side has a better view?

If all other things are equal, I would pick the east for sunrising light.
Beans, beans, the magically fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel. So eat your beans at every meal.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
7429 posts
2244 upvotes
Etobicoke
For best satellite reception, south. This is not a concern with houses because you can install the satellite on the roof. But if you live in a north facing condo, it's hard to install a south west facing dish.
Jan 20, 2004
769 posts
248 upvotes
Please keep in mind that the orientation of this building is like a diamond, so it will have two sides of exposure being NE SE or NW SW.

The NE SE corner faces Yonge street, the NW SW corner faces a more calmer non traffic direction. I guess this would be subjective as well, but facing the calmer side might be more relaxing.

Also, this condo does not have gas or hydro included in the maintenance fees, so if the NW SW corner gets more sun in the afternoon and evenings, it would be warmer in the winter, and in the summer I could relax more in the balcony all the way until sunset.

I work the standard 9-5 weekdays, so I wouldnt really get a chance to enjoy the morning sun, but when I come home from work, I'll get the sun.

From your experience, would you say that facing west starts to get sunlight at around 12 PM ?

Thanks for all the comments.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
You don't want west. In summer, it is not just the afternoon, you get the sun. In the evening, you also have the heat of the sun. It can linger all the way to 10pm (if you turn on AC). You may say it will save heat in the winner. IMO, it does not worth it because there are not that much 'sun' in winter comparing with summer.

The chance is easy for me, SE/NE.

I would say if you choose the west side, the cost of AC in summer will be higher than the cost of heat you save in winter. Think about it, how many sunny afternoon you can count in winter.

On the other hand, the east side probably will cost you more.
Jan 20, 2004
769 posts
248 upvotes
You're right, the east side does cost more, about $4000 dollars more. But I'm thinking, in the summer time, I could have the blinds shut so it won't heat up the place.

But to relax on the balcony in the summer time at the NE SE side, it wouldn't get too much light once the sun is on the west side right?

I'm thinking in the summer time I could enjoy the sun all the way till sunset on the NW SW side.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
Ryus wrote:You're right, the east side does cost more, about $4000 dollars more. But I'm thinking, in the summer time, I could have the blinds shut so it won't heat up the place.

But to relax on the balcony in the summer time at the NE SE side, it wouldn't get too much light once the sun is on the west side right?

I'm thinking in the summer time I could enjoy the sun all the way till sunset on the NW SW side.
Trust me, it will heat up the place even though you have the blinds shut. I had a condo with windows facing NE, N and NW. The NW side is always hot in summer. I did have blind and btw, it is a must because the sun light will decolor your furniture.

Of course, your own preference should decide what you buy. If you really want sun bath every afternoon and have better tolerance of summer heat (or AC bill), the west side is better for me. On the other hand, can you have your sun bath in the condo public area like beside a swimming pool in the west side (if there is one)?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
A friend of mine has a house with a backyard with south exposure. At first we were jealous, but now he can't even use it during summer because it's like a BBQ in there. It gets way too hot. WHile still having sun at ~8pm is nice, it gets way too hot during the afternoon so think about it.
Nov 4, 2003
177 posts
1 upvote
dolphie wrote:i bought a house last year, and i noticed alot of places had southern exposure listed as a plus. I never saw any that said 'backyard with eastern exposure!" but lots that said that about the south.
I'm guessing you're right in your thoughts....of course my guess isn't very scientific :)
Southern front means less ice and shoveling in the winter.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2004
1982 posts
10 upvotes
Kingston
which is nice, but it was always advertised as a plus for the backyard, not the front.
funny it's opposite for condo's.
the back of my house has southern exposure....i love having the sun in the afternoon for hanging out the laundry.
Old house had morning sun, and if i didn't have it hung out by 10am, it wouldn't dry! lol
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Our house faces east/west, the front being west facing. I'll echo gman on this. Our living room and master bedroom are on the front of the house. In the livingroom it can be a real PITA as the sun is blinding as you try to sit down and watch tv from now till about Oct. It also makes the masterbedroom quite hot in the summer. But as a trade off I get a eat in kitchen absolutely flooded with sunshine in the mornings. So what I would suggest to think about is how the rooms are oriented and where you think you may want to put furniture. You'll never see the tv for the glare if it's on the same wall as a west facing window for example...

Why south facing backyards are a plus in real estate is for greenthumbs. A southern exposure backyard lends itself to absolutely endless gardening possibilites. :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5865 posts
1672 upvotes
London, ON
Ryus wrote:Please keep in mind that the orientation of this building is like a diamond, so it will have two sides of exposure being NE SE or NW SW.

The NE SE corner faces Yonge street, the NW SW corner faces a more calmer non traffic direction. I guess this would be subjective as well, but facing the calmer side might be more relaxing.

Also, this condo does not have gas or hydro included in the maintenance fees, so if the NW SW corner gets more sun in the afternoon and evenings, it would be warmer in the winter, and in the summer I could relax more in the balcony all the way until sunset.

I work the standard 9-5 weekdays, so I wouldnt really get a chance to enjoy the morning sun, but when I come home from work, I'll get the sun.

From your experience, would you say that facing west starts to get sunlight at around 12 PM ?

Thanks for all the comments.
How close are you to yonge street?

I've visited a condo directly above Yonge & Empress, and it was LOUD, there was absolutely no way one could sleep with a window open

If you arent going to be able to enjoy the sun anyways, save the money and go with the SW/NW exposure

while it will heat up during the summer, the same holds true for winter and you can turn your thermostat DOWN

(and depending on your neighbours, you may not even need to turn on the heat!)
Jan 20, 2004
769 posts
248 upvotes
This place is literally at the south west corner of Yonge and Finch, but its not built yet.

There are actually 2 buildings, the one I'm interested in is the north building. Again, these buildings are rotated 45 degrees so its like a diamond with respect to Yonge and Finch.

If I take the NW/SW corner, I think I would get some shading from the south building until around 1-2PM ? So basically sun from 1-2PM until sunset.

And if I were to take the NE/SE corner, I would only have sun until 12pm and would be in the shade of the south building for the rest of the day!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5865 posts
1672 upvotes
London, ON
ah...The Pulse project?

i was a bit turned off by it's exterior. It's a good location :)
Being RIGHT AT yonge & finch (well, maybe 25 m south), i'd take the NW/SW unit.

There are buildings directly on the west side of that location, so you wont see too far west (but beyond those two/three condos, it's all residential...so if you're lucky, there should be an unobstructed west view)

NE/SE view = yonge street noise; there isnt anything directly at the SE corner of yonge/finch (yet) but beyond that corner, you've got 5-10 buildings; so i'm guessing the east view is gonna be blocked

Another plus for NW/SW; during the summer, you'll still get quite a bit of natural night and might even catch a nice sunset from ur balcony :)

Good luck!
Jan 20, 2004
769 posts
248 upvotes
charliebrown wrote:ah...The Pulse project?

i was a bit turned off by it's exterior. It's a good location :)
Being RIGHT AT yonge & finch (well, maybe 25 m south), i'd take the NW/SW unit.

There are buildings directly on the west side of that location, so you wont see too far west (but beyond those two/three condos, it's all residential...so if you're lucky, there should be an unobstructed west view)

NE/SE view = yonge street noise; there isnt anything directly at the SE corner of yonge/finch (yet) but beyond that corner, you've got 5-10 buildings; so i'm guessing the east view is gonna be blocked

Another plus for NW/SW; during the summer, you'll still get quite a bit of natural night and might even catch a nice sunset from ur balcony :)

Good luck!
Thats right, thats the one. I'm feeling the NW/SW corner more, I know there is a condo at the NW side, but the main viewing of the unit I like faces SW, so it should be unobstructed.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5865 posts
1672 upvotes
London, ON
have a look through google map/satellite to see the buildings in your vicinity

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 006738&t=k

your building will occupy the space formerly known as No Frills and its parking lot. So, depending on how they place Phase I & II, your NW/SW unit might look through the two buildings on Lorraine Drive :)
Jan 20, 2004
769 posts
248 upvotes
Thanks Charliebrown!

The one at Loraine drive is C-Condos, and I hope their building doesnt extend south of Loraine!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)