dirty laptop keyborad, how to clean it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2012 10:02 am
Tags:
Aug 3, 2011
115 posts
10 upvotes

dirty laptop keyborad, how to clean it?

My laptop is 4 years old and i like it very much. what troubles me is the laptop keyboard. it is very dirty even i do the regular cleaning. and some keys don't work properly. any cleaning suggestions? or do i have to replace it? thank you very much.
bluesky
17 replies
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
Depending on your laptop, replacements are often $10-$20 if you can find them on eBay. Compressed air (from an air compressor with a tank) can do the job, as can a cloth with some moisture (or alcohol). I find that a good amount of hair get in mine. If you've spilled a sticky/sugary drink, often the replacement route is the only way, although certainly, dipping in relatively pure ethanol or isopropyl alcohol can often clean a good amount of the stuff out.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
Dollar stores also sell that "as seen on TV" fluorescent goop that you can push into your keyboard and it pulls out all the crap. I find that after the compressed air takes up the loose stuff, it works great for the deeper clean. If it's already totally stuck, then I'd suggest removing the keyboard and swabbing it with alcohol. You might also be able to get a local store to do a cleanup for you, depending on how comfortable you are with taking apart your tech.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3242 upvotes
Calgary
TotallyKiller wrote: Dollar stores also sell that "as seen on TV" fluorescent goop that you can push into your keyboard and it pulls out all the crap. I find that after the compressed air takes up the loose stuff, it works great for the deeper clean. If it's already totally stuck, then I'd suggest removing the keyboard and swabbing it with alcohol. You might also be able to get a local store to do a cleanup for you, depending on how comfortable you are with taking apart your tech.

:lol: , you stick that stuff in your keyboard? Hmmm, I suppose it could/should work.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
35 upvotes
Scarborough
I brush my keyboard regularly with a soft paintbrush (haha to remove the crumbs) and then I wipe it with a Lysol wipe and that's sufficient to get off ketchup etc (guess who eats while surfing!)
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20465 upvotes
Wash hands before use? Sticky fingers, snacking while using the computer contribute to build up on the keys.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
Mark77 wrote: :lol: , you stick that stuff in your keyboard? Hmmm, I suppose it could/should work.

Could.. should.. is designed specifically to... All of the above. It doesn't stick or leave residue unless you were to scrape it back and forth. I've used it so far on at least 10 keyboards and laptops and no sign of any problems yet. And I did test it out on a PoS $5 peripheral keyboard first. And that was after watching a friend use it on his harmony remote, so I figured it was probably not going to destroy my hardware.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6145 posts
2957 upvotes
Kanata
I have an acer laptop, and the keys are raised with spaces between the keys and the board. I bought a clear gel like screen from monoprice or something. It works really well, keeps the dirt out of the keyboard and keeps the keys clean. Just clean the gel from time to time with water and soap. It sticks against metal and plastic nicely so keeps it from moving. I think it was like 60c.

Of course this is AFTER you clean it lol, to clean it just de-assemble it, dust it out and assemble. Shouldn't be too hard, almost all manuals come with exactly how to de-assemble things.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Aug 24, 2007
214 posts
10 upvotes
Swift Current
I've had good success in removing the keyboard and pouring water from the tap over it for a few minutes. Letting it dry overnight... and sticking it back in. Most are sealed units (much like regular keyboards) but do a very close inspection first. YMMV.... :)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7125 posts
1801 upvotes
will888 wrote: Wash hands before use? Sticky fingers, snacking while using the computer contribute to build up on the keys.

Snacking is not the only way to get your keyboard dirty. Mine gets dirty everytime I get dirty. Just use a liquid handwash paper towel to wipe and disinfect the surface and you are good to go.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3310 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa
I actually haven't seen the fluorescent goop for very cheap. At CanadaComputers and DealExtreme it runs for almost $8; I ordered some on sale from Dragonext for $5.

I'm surprised that DealExtreme and suchlike don't seem to sell the special key-puller tool – it's the the black thing displayed on the aforementioned http://billygcurrey.hubpages.com/hub/Ke ... h-Pictures . Has anyone seen that for sale somewhere? I wouldn't want to risk damaging my keyboard with a screwdriver; I'm kind of fond of my keyboard.
Apr 9, 2008
112 posts
5 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: Install this software:
http://www.wisechoice.net/

No more dirty keyboard!

I was gonna say... "use a condom"... lllmmaaooo

(laughs at own joke...) :lol:
...Nothing will cook your goose faster than a hot tongue...
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
3310 posts
744 upvotes
Ottawa
I have one of those and am not particularly impressed with it. It doesn't really do much for the really caked-on grime.
UrGr8 wrote: You can usually pop the keys off and press them back in, but check with your manufacturer to confirm before doing it.
Ha! The manufacturer will tell you to buy a new keyboard. :razz:
Jan 12, 2012
21 posts
1 upvote
I've found that a very slightly damp cloth works best. I've been told it's best to keep alcohol away from the keyboard though. I actually need to go to a store to get the "A" button replace. (right now, the flat key label is sitting on the desk beside me and I"m stuck using the little rubber piece under it for the letter. annoying! I've followed all the keypad replacement instructions, but to no avail

A four year old laptop? Think I'd be tempted to use this as an excuse to upgrade.