• Nov 7th, 2018 8:41 am
Tags:
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
Not surprised. Most of the domestic flights I’ve been involve boarding the plane literally 10 minutes after the previous passengers have been unloaded. There’s no way any sort of halfass cleaning could be done in that short of time.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3791 posts
297 upvotes
YUL
But used tampons and condoms in the seat pocket though. WTF is wrong with people?!
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13281 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Yeah, I usually wipe down the arm rest, tray, nav screens, seat belt and head rest.....DIRTY AS F***!!!!!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Considering all the nasty street food I eat when traveling, dirty planes are the least of my concerns.

Although I highly suggest you all treat your bags and other cloth-based travel accessories with permethrin to repel any 'hitch-hikers' such as bed bugs that might come from other lugage or the plane itself.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13281 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Airport should equip this..

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Airport should equip this..
I think planes (and trains and subways) should be designed so you can just push a button and the inside will be baked at 60degC for a couple of hours, which will kill off bedbug (and many other) infestations.
Of course this would require re-design of many of the internal electronics, which are not designed to withstand this heat.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1682 posts
1580 upvotes
Etobicoke
Jucius Maximus wrote: I think planes (and trains and subways) should be designed so you can just push a button and the inside will be baked at 60degC for a couple of hours, which will kill off bedbug (and many other) infestations.
Of course this would require re-design of many of the internal electronics, which are not designed to withstand this heat.
You want to bake a jumbo jet at 60'C for a couple of hours, and then have it take off (stress) , fly pressurized at a high altitude (stress) and very low external temperatures (stress) and then land safely....that is a lot of stress and you are only adding to it by cooking it for a few hours at 60'C
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24667 posts
8738 upvotes
Toronto
watched the same show the other day and not surprised. I never use the blankets or pillows on the planes but am lazy to wipe down the seats, arm rest, trays and screens - think I should start doing that.

Thx @Jucius Maximus for posting the bottles of spray to kill bed bugs\hitchhikers.....looks like it is only available on Amazon.com (and doesn't ship to Canada) - any recommendations for something that I can buy here? TIA!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
I saw that too.

The CBC Marketplace Team flew 18 Domestic Flights on 3 Cdn Airlines
Air Canada, WestJet & Porter
So we can assume it was 6 flights each line ... although the Team did not confirm that

The team admitted they were starting in Toronto (Home Base for CBC Marketplace)
And they were short haul ... Montreal, Ottawa etc

Their results were “generalized”
So except for the Airline Blankets... which they took off the plane*
They did not tell us how each airline did / ranked

That’s what I would want to know
WHO WAS THE CLEANEST of the 3

If nothing else, I think it would PUSH the other 2 to IMPROVE

* BLANKETS
Air Canada handed out a perfectly clean (NEW ?) wrapped blanket ... proved out by the Blacklight Test

WestJet handed out a wrapped blanket, but when looked at under a black light it was highly marked with DNA Fluid Smears... so it was neither New or Clean (WestJet was notified and says they are investigating)

And Porter ... well they don’t offer inflight blankets
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
“DNA fluid smears”... so many jokes... :)
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
ji2o0k wrote: Thx @Jucius Maximus for posting the bottles of spray to kill bed bugs\hitchhikers.....looks like it is only available on Amazon.com (and doesn't ship to Canada) - any recommendations for something that I can buy here? TIA!
Unfortunately, the shipping policy has changed, as I purchased that same item (in that exact listing), from Amazon.com (shipped to Canada) some months ago.
I might have to drive across the border to get it in the future...

Permetherin spray can't be advertised for human purposes in Canada (but you can still get permetherin impregnated clothing in Canada.)

Permetherin is actually available in farming stores in Canada: https://www.tscstores.com/ANTOUT-1L-REA ... 17507.aspx
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
Plane seats are no difference that the bus seats.
I'm not surprise that they are dirty.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11547 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
Air Canada operates 46 flights every business day between Toronto and Montreal. Flights get turned around fast.

Not to say long haul jets get much better cleaning but CBC may as well do an article about door handles on the subway or bus poles. Elevator buttons

Lame journalism at best to target the germaphobes.

May as well shower in hand sanitizer if your that worried about getting seriously sick from a plane.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
my last flight from venice to TO was disgusting, not because of the plane, but the people on the plain, it was sick people everywhere, 9+ hours in a confined space with non stop coughing and sneezing from every direction.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
oh and my leg from TO to EDM, I was near the toilet, at least 200 people went to the bathroom, I used the bathroom near the end of the flight, and to my non surprise, the push top soap dispencer was only around 15% used.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3615 posts
520 upvotes
I took a Ryanair flight to somewhere I can't remember now and when I sat on my seat and put the seat belt on, there was this gooey brown thing on the belt. I just hope to God it was chocolate that someone had from the previous flight. The worst case was it was a baby's sh!t. Whatever it was, it was disgusting actually.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
5020 posts
888 upvotes
Toronto
i always wipe my seat, arm rest, head rest, screen and table before i sit down. it is just way too dirty
HEATWARE 18-0-0 since 2006
EBAY 38-0-0 Since 2003

IG: mkdrone_

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)