• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2018 9:01 am
[OP]
Nov 25, 2008
575 posts
6 upvotes

Disability tax credit

Hi...My 8 yrs child has learning disability as he went thru assessmemt by psychologist.

My friend suggested to apply for disability tax credit. But as i Read the condition
"You must be assessed as having a condition (such as those listed above) severe enough to either have a prolonged impairment, or markedly restricted as defined above
You must be able to prove (through a medical assessment) that either you cope with a significant impairment, or you are dependent upon “life-sustaining” therapy"

I am unsure if my child is severe enough to be qualified.

Any ideas or experience u can share?

Thx
Tc
4 replies
Oct 26, 2007
185 posts
83 upvotes
Its up to your doctor to fill out the form and then let CRA make a decision based on the doctors report.
Feb 25, 2015
920 posts
272 upvotes
York Region
Bring the form to your child's pediatrician and he will fill it out for $20 or $40.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1698 posts
654 upvotes
Kitchener
love0715 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2018 2:25 pm
Hi...My 8 yrs child has learning disability as he went thru assessmemt by psychologist.

My friend suggested to apply for disability tax credit. But as i Read the condition
"You must be assessed as having a condition (such as those listed above) severe enough to either have a prolonged impairment, or markedly restricted as defined above
You must be able to prove (through a medical assessment) that either you cope with a significant impairment, or you are dependent upon “life-sustaining” therapy"

I am unsure if my child is severe enough to be qualified.

Any ideas or experience u can share?

Thx
Tc
There is zero risk at applying for it, other than the doctor perhaps charging you for the paperwork.

I applied for it for my daughter, and was approved. So they go back up to 10 years (assuming that's when the disability started) for income tax purposes. Since this is a child, you'll get an additional tax credit (something like $4,000 x 15%) until their 18th birthday. You would also get the Child Disability Benefit -- they'll go back current year plus 2 years, and depending on family income, it can be worth up to approx $2,600/year. You can write to them to go back until when the condition presented itself (max is 10 years including current year)- this will be based on the paperwork for the DTC.

As for my kid, she has severe social anxiety, selective mutism, adjustment disorder, among other things. I am hoping that she'll grow out of it (she's 17) but for now, that extra cash I got will help me with dealing with an extra expenses.

Also, if you're approved, you can get government grants on top of everything else. $1,000/year grant, which goes into a RDSP, plus you can put your own money in, and they'll match it, something like $2 for every $1 you put in for the first $1,000 you put in (of your own money) + dollar for dollar for the next $2,000, if memory serves me correct. This can be done until their 48th birthday, IIRC. I guess the idea of this is that if you max out the RDSP for all those years, by the time the disabled child is well into adulthood, and you're no longer able to support them (because you're dead or long retired) it gives the adult a large sum of money to pull from until they get their pension(s).

I am grabbing some of those numbers off the top of my head, so do your research.

Again, though, apply for the DTC, no harm.

I would think, as in my case, the disability is mental. She won't be working anytime soon, and likely will have to finish school at home.

I guess the big question for you, how is your kid different than other kids? What are their prospects when they're older?
Well, I am not a crook.
Dec 23, 2009
1 posts
Learning disability do qualify. Take the form to the doctor and suggest that the doctor document in detail how the disability manifest itself in coping with school work as well as other daily living activities such as taking care of himself or ability to follow instructions etc. If you are still not comfortable or the application is rejected and you want professional help with the application please do contact me asst Info@disabilityrefunds.com. Good luck