• Dec 6th, 2018 2:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 17, 2010
980 posts
361 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario

DIsable Auto-Start/Stop - Ford Escape

Ford made the 2017 Escape with Auto-Start/Stop always on. (pull up to a light car engine turns off, then restarts when you want to go again) You have to turn it off every time you start the vehicle if you don't want it. I had no idea that this was the case,(neither did their service dept) car never shut off during the test drive so i never thought twice about it. It ruins the driving experience so much it is the worst "feature".

Wondering if anyone has any ideas to disable it completely, i'm ready to open up the dash and rewire it if necessary. I would not have bought this car if i had know this.
48 replies
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
158 upvotes
Is there no button where you can stop this feature after you turn on the car? I have this on my C300 and there's an ECO button which I can press and it disables that start/stop feature.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23784 posts
10218 upvotes
Ottawa
This can be done via IDS programming.
I haven't ready about it being specifically done on an Escape, but have read about it being disabled by F150 owners.
You will need a good and reliable obd reader (I recommend OBDlink MX) and Forscan software (free).
Oct 13, 2016
144 posts
45 upvotes
kabyLake wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 8:46 am
Is there no button where you can stop this feature after you turn on the car? I have this on my C300 and there's an ECO button which I can press and it disables that start/stop feature.
He wants to permanently disable. The eco-button in the C300 disables it, but it is re-enabled when you turn off the car.

I hate this feature on the C300, just 1st world problems that you cannot permanently disable on c300 and have to turn it off every time. I have gotten used to it now. But a pain when first got the car.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8295 posts
6801 upvotes
Oakville
Most cars don't have a permanent disable button as that is likely a requirement for the EPA mpg testing. You can turn it of in coding like vkizzle mentioned.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3454 posts
3229 upvotes
Toronto, ON
AlAlonzo32 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 9:39 am
He wants to permanently disable. The eco-button in the C300 disables it, but it is re-enabled when you turn off the car.

I hate this feature on the C300, just 1st world problems that you cannot permanently disable on c300 and have to turn it off every time. I have gotten used to it now. But a pain when first got the car.
German engineering at its finest.

The question is... will it be the starter motor or the button to disable auto-start/stop that will die first?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2515 posts
1407 upvotes
Montreal
engineered wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 3:05 pm
Most cars don't have a permanent disable button as that is likely a requirement for the EPA mpg testing. You can turn it of in coding like vkizzle mentioned.
Yep this, EPA testing requires "as is" how the car starts, so manufacturers makes it defaults to on. Subaru CVT also defaults to economy mode whereas remembers the last mode in rest of the world.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2011
1146 posts
781 upvotes
Toronto
Just don't push the brake pedal down so hard at the stop light - most of these vehicles will have a point where once you stop if you push it down far enough the vehicle will turn off. Try just letting up on the pedal a little bit at the light (while still staying stopped)... With a little bit of practice you'll be able to control whether or not it shuts off.
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
[OP]
Oct 17, 2010
980 posts
361 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 9:31 am
This can be done via IDS programming.
I haven't ready about it being specifically done on an Escape, but have read about it being disabled by F150 owners.
You will need a good and reliable obd reader (I recommend OBDlink MX) and Forscan software (free).
Big Thanks, this options looks very promising, alot of other cool features looks like i could customize as well.

xjesterxx wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 3:59 pm
Just don't push the brake pedal down so hard at the stop light - most of these vehicles will have a point where once you stop if you push it down far enough the vehicle will turn off. Try just letting up on the pedal a little bit at the light (while still staying stopped)... With a little bit of practice you'll be able to control whether or not it shuts off.
Ya i thought i could live with it and just feather the pedal and such but its a pain to remember to do just ruins the driving experience.

forthman wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 4:22 pm
The only work around I know of is to drive in Sport mode ,so instead of putting it in to drive(d) put shifter into Sport (s).
Thats my fix for now, but I drive too fast in sport mode lol and since its one past "D" I keep downshifting into neutral instead of reverse and looking like an idiot revving my engine...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23784 posts
10218 upvotes
Ottawa
KingPhoenix wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 4:27 pm
Big Thanks, this options looks very promising, alot of other cool features looks like i could customize as well.
Beats paying a Ford Tech min 1hr ;)
[OP]
Oct 17, 2010
980 posts
361 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 4:42 pm
Beats paying a Ford Tech min 1hr ;)
Pssh i asked them last time was at the dealership they told me just push the button to turn it off and it will remember that setting the next time you start....
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3399 posts
844 upvotes
Edmonton
Several GM vehicles have this as well, with NO button to turn it off.

We had it on a few volvo rentals, but there's a quick button to disable it. I can't see how this can possibly be any benefit to anyone in the long run. The MPG savings are so insignificant, if any.

Plus, its an alarmingly weird feeling to be turning left at a light, car is not running, then hitting the gas to make that turn and having to wait for the engine to fire up before the car goes.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2010
980 posts
361 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
U4IA wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 5:03 pm
Several GM vehicles have this as well, with NO button to turn it off.

We had it on a few volvo rentals, but there's a quick button to disable it. I can't see how this can possibly be any benefit to anyone in the long run. The MPG savings are so insignificant, if any.

Plus, its an alarmingly weird feeling to be turning left at a light, car is not running, then hitting the gas to make that turn and having to wait for the engine to fire up before the car goes.

Saves like what maybe $20/year id pay triple that to have my car work normally, I paid enough for the car i want to drive it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8295 posts
6801 upvotes
Oakville
KingPhoenix wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 11:58 pm
Saves like what maybe $20/year id pay triple that to have my car work normally, I paid enough for the car i want to drive it.
A 3L engine idling 5min a day is 55L per year so $60/year. So still not much. But it depends on your car and how much time you spend idling.
A 5L Mustang idling 10min day would be 183L or $220/yr.
http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/efficienc ... dling/4457

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)