• Dec 6th, 2018 2:48 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1234 posts
803 upvotes
KingPhoenix wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 8:38 am
Ford made the 2017 Escape with Auto-Start/Stop always on. (pull up to a light car engine turns off, then restarts when you want to go again) You have to turn it off every time you start the vehicle if you don't want it. I had no idea that this was the case,(neither did their service dept) car never shut off during the test drive so i never thought twice about it. It ruins the driving experience so much it is the worst "feature".

Wondering if anyone has any ideas to disable it completely, i'm ready to open up the dash and rewire it if necessary. I would not have bought this car if i had know this.
Hybrids work the same way, engine turns off when stopped. No point running the engine if your not moving, although there are certain times when it needs to run.
How does it ruin your driving experience?
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
2510 posts
1377 upvotes
Montreal
billford wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 12:30 am
Hybrids work the same way, engine turns off when stopped. No point running the engine if your not moving, although there are certain times when it needs to run.
1. Hybrid can run with electric motor only, so as soon as you step on gas pedal it'll go even if engine isn't running, an auto stop/start car takes a split second to start engine during which you aren't moving even if you are stepping on gas.

2. Hybrid use motor generator to spin engine up to near idle speed (and build oil pressure) before engine starts, thus no extra wear on engine and "starter", not so with regular engine and starter.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3448 posts
1139 upvotes
Mississauga
So when will the class action lawsuits be filed by owners experiencing premature starter motor failures because of this “feature”?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23705 posts
10132 upvotes
Ottawa
mrweather wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 6:46 am
So when will the class action lawsuits be filed by owners experiencing premature starter motor failures because of this “feature”?
No systemic issues reported of premature starter failures across all manufacturers...I say it's a non issue, other than an annoyance.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2010
980 posts
361 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
billford wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 12:30 am
First it affect the climate controls, obviously when the engine goes off the heat is warm and the A/C is cool. This morning it shut off at the fist light 1 min into my drive.
If i drive normally and take my foot off the brake and put it onto the gas the car wont be started yet, results in you jerking forward a bit when it kicks in. If im listening to music I sometimes dont notice its off and then go to accelerate...and there is no go!
It's this new thing i have to pay attention to while driving, is my car on can so that i can make this turn in time?
Dec 14, 2007
662 posts
127 upvotes
There are ways to trick the computer into not shutting the engine off. Steering wheel position or how much pressure to put on the brake pedal. Not sure if it works on all vehicles. The ones I've driven, engines start again as soon as my foot is off the brake pedal. It's not a very good design if you have to press on the gas for the engine to start again.

I've driven different sizes of cars with this feature. Not once have I not noticed the engine shuts off. One thing I noticed is that on a 4 cylinder engine, it's very rough when it shuts off and starts again. 6 or 8 cylinders are very smooth. It doesn't bother me that much. For me, the lag in turbo engines is more annoying.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8221 posts
6705 upvotes
Oakville
mrweather wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 6:46 am
Start stop has been around for over a decade and I haven't heard of any wide spread failures. In fact, I haven't hear of any car (SS or not) that has had a starter motor failure post 2000. I remember cars from the 90's and earlier having not infrequent starter motor failures, which is why I expected the high failure rates like you did.

There are concerns with bearing wear but not much backing it up and no widespread issues.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-sto ... m#Concerns
KingPhoenix wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 9:29 am
First it affect the climate controls, obviously when the engine goes off the heat is warm and the A/C is cool. This morning it shut off at the fist light 1 min into my drive.
If i drive normally and take my foot off the brake and put it onto the gas the car wont be started yet, results in you jerking forward a bit when it kicks in. If im listening to music I sometimes dont notice its off and then go to accelerate...and there is no go!
It's this new thing i have to pay attention to while driving, is my car on can so that i can make this turn in time?
Does holding the brake and gently pressing the gas turn it back on? That might be useful if you're about to make a left turn. What about when you let go of the brake? Does it come back on allowing you to creep forward?

At long lights I shift my wife's auto trans into neutral, which drops the fuel usage from 2L/hr to 1.2L/hr. On my manual trans that's obviously not needed.
On manual cars with SS, there's the added benefit that the engine starts up when you press the clutch pedal, so by the time you hit the gas it's ready to go.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2010
980 posts
361 upvotes
Newmarket, Ontario
engineered wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 11:41 am
Start stop has been around for over a decade and I haven't heard of any wide spread failures. In fact, I haven't hear of any car (SS or not) that has had a starter motor failure post 2000. I remember cars from the 90's and earlier having not infrequent starter motor failures, which is why I expected the high failure rates like you did.

There are concerns with bearing wear but not much backing it up and no widespread issues.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-sto ... m#Concerns

Does holding the brake and gently pressing the gas turn it back on? That might be useful if you're about to make a left turn. What about when you let go of the brake? Does it come back on allowing you to creep forward?

At long lights I shift my wife's auto trans into neutral, which drops the fuel usage from 2L/hr to 1.2L/hr. On my manual trans that's obviously not needed.
On manual cars with SS, there's the added benefit that the engine starts up when you press the clutch pedal, so by the time you hit the gas it's ready to go.

Letting off the brake a little starts it up. If you want the acceleration as smooth as id the car never shut off i'd say you wait 1 second before pressing the gas at all, it'd go after .5 seconds but its not smooth cause it just started. There are work arounds but im getting fed up with the work arounds and just want to drive the car. And this shutting off in the cold weather while the blower continues...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8221 posts
6705 upvotes
Oakville
KingPhoenix wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 12:26 pm
Letting off the brake a little starts it up. If you want the acceleration as smooth as id the car never shut off i'd say you wait 1 second before pressing the gas at all, it'd go after .5 seconds but its not smooth cause it just started. There are work arounds but im getting fed up with the work arounds and just want to drive the car. And this shutting off in the cold weather while the blower continues...
Yea, it seems hitting the button is easier than the work arounds. Agree that shutting of when engine temps are below 80'C is dumb. Blame MPG testing and people for choosing cars for a 1mpg difference.
Sep 17, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
I joined this forum just to reply to this thread. it seems that a few people in here are trying to dilute the shittiness of auto start-stop. I am surprised there have not been more accidents related to it. I always freak out a little bit when I remember that I have not disabled it for that drive, and I pull up to a left turn in a busy intersection and my engine goes dead. Hybrids do not have the same problem because the electric motor spins the drivetrain while the engine is not running so there is never any perceived loss of power whatsoever. With auto start-stop there is definitely a perceivable moment where there is a loss of power. We should not have to accept this. It is a stupid idea, and I cannot wait until this very cringe-worthy period in automotive history is over and we never speak of it again.
Nov 23, 2018
1 posts
Cut a piece of a small zip-tie and wedge the button in.
Dec 1, 2018
1 posts
This IS an issue! ..and NOT a feature.

The Idiots that designed this need to come down to Florida in the dead of summer and sit in your Black vehicle stopped waiting on a light...or better yet stopped waiting on a slllooowww moving train! AC GONE! Enjoy!

The vehicle manufacture engineers need to be forced to spend a LOVELY summer in the Center of Florida with one of these "feature" cars!
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1736 posts
471 upvotes
Kitchener
I drove a Fusion from the dealer a few months ago when my Explorer was getting repaired and when i first started driving, first light scared the hell of out me as I though the engine died in the middle of the interesection, ie turning left! On that Fusion, assuming it was a 2018 model, it had a disable button, I believe it remembered next time I turned the car off. I showed my wife and she couldn't stand it!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23705 posts
10132 upvotes
Ottawa
CarolR16081 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2018 10:47 am
This IS an issue! ..and NOT a feature.

The Idiots that designed this need to come down to Florida in the dead of summer and sit in your Black vehicle stopped waiting on a light...or better yet stopped waiting on a slllooowww moving train! AC GONE! Enjoy!

The vehicle manufacture engineers need to be forced to spend a LOVELY summer in the Center of Florida with one of these "feature" cars!
Supposedly, auto start/stop doesn't kick in when the AC is running.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3448 posts
1139 upvotes
Mississauga
It shouldn’t be kicking in at all. Auto start/stop is the most stupid “feature” ever put into vehicles.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)