• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 2:48 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4272 posts
207 upvotes
Peterborough
I hate the feature. It's become my routine to turn it off every time I get in the car as it doesn't remember that I want it off.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9144 posts
929 upvotes
Toronto
AlAlonzo32 wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 9:39 am
He wants to permanently disable. The eco-button in the C300 disables it, but it is re-enabled when you turn off the car.

I hate this feature on the C300, just 1st world problems that you cannot permanently disable on c300 and have to turn it off every time. I have gotten used to it now. But a pain when first got the car.
The 2015 Cherokee I had did the same thing. Was one of the most annoying things in that vehicle. I see it as a pretty useless feature and I would rather buy a vehicle without it (which I did).
May 6, 2013
604 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
Our Jeep Compass rental has auto stop/start and it was awful! By far the worse "feature" Ive experienced. Delay in power and rough vibes on restarts.
Feb 2, 2018
192 posts
138 upvotes
Montreal
Judging by this thread, I must be the only person who actually doesn’t mind this thing. Well at least how it’s implemented in the new Forester. Engine starts up before your foot reaches the gas pedal, and with any sort of varying brake pressure (more or less). The stop-start is also disabled before the car gets warmed up, if it’s too cold outside, if car has been stopped too long.

I initially thought I would hate the system, and disable it every time, but after driving it for a few days, I honestly don’t mind it.

KingPhoenix wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 9:29 am
First it affect the climate controls, obviously when the engine goes off the heat is warm and the A/C is cool. This morning it shut off at the fist light 1 min into my drive.
If i drive normally and take my foot off the brake and put it onto the gas the car wont be started yet, results in you jerking forward a bit when it kicks in. If im listening to music I sometimes dont notice its off and then go to accelerate...and there is no go!
It's this new thing i have to pay attention to while driving, is my car on can so that i can make this turn in time?
I don't think that should be normal. Sounds like poor implementation.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3782 posts
553 upvotes
CloudReader wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 12:06 pm
Judging by this thread, I must be the only person who actually doesn’t mind this thing. Well at least how it’s implemented in the new Forester. Engine starts up before your foot reaches the gas pedal, and with any sort of varying brake pressure (more or less). The stop-start is also disabled before the car gets warmed up, if it’s too cold outside, if car has been stopped too long.
I like it too on an Acura TLX and it works as you've described for your Forester. On my commute, there's one or two lights that can be a minute long and the engine (especially during summer) can be turned off for almost of that stopped time.
Dec 4, 2011
681 posts
110 upvotes
Montreal
Fine on my R as well, as you say engine starts when you lift off the brake so pretty instant and saves fuel over the long run.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1190 posts
1040 upvotes
GTA
I like the idea of saving fuel, but I don't like the idea of not having power on demand (like making a left turn at a busy intersection) or if there's any additional wear on the engine from demanding power from it when it's only been running a half-second. Even if my car's up to operating temperature after starting it (like parking, running an errand quickly and getting back in the car), I like to wait 5-10 seconds after starting the engine before taking off: make sure that oil is pumped sufficiency through the engine.

I wonder if any long-term studies have been done regarding engine wear and this system. I also wonder if it even matters to car manufactures. With cars becoming disposable appliances, they only need to last the length of the lease. Do any special interest cars or exotics come with start-stop? Where people will still own them 5+ years down the road? I doubt it. Or is it just common commuter cars with it?
Tha_Doggg wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 7:21 am
I hate the feature. It's become my routine to turn it off every time I get in the car as it doesn't remember that I want it off.
My first exposure to stop-start was riding with my uncle in Europe. It was equipped on his Fiat Punto. I suppose he normally turned it off before setting out, but there was a few times with me that he forgot. So we would be sitting at a light, the engine would turn off and my uncle not realize. Then when the light turned green and he tried to take off, the engine wasn't quite running yet and wouldn't go, so he would start cursing in slavic and jabbing the off button. Pretty funny for me, but I'm sure a huge frustration for him. It was a manual transmission too, but I'm not sure if that compounds the problem or not.
XtremeModder wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 8:39 am
The 2015 Cherokee I had did the same thing. Was one of the most annoying things in that vehicle. I see it as a pretty useless feature and I would rather buy a vehicle without it (which I did).
Someone mentioned in another thread that when shopping for cars with this feature, see if it can be disabled "permanently" and not default to on every time the car starts.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9144 posts
929 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 9:25 pm
I like the idea of saving fuel, but I don't like the idea of not having power on demand (like making a left turn at a busy intersection) or if there's any additional wear on the engine from demanding power from it when it's only been running a half-second. Even if my car's up to operating temperature after starting it (like parking, running an errand quickly and getting back in the car), I like to wait 5-10 seconds after starting the engine before taking off: make sure that oil is pumped sufficiency through the engine.

I wonder if any long-term studies have been done regarding engine wear and this system. I also wonder if it even matters to car manufactures. With cars becoming disposable appliances, they only need to last the length of the lease. Do any special interest cars or exotics come with start-stop? Where people will still own them 5+ years down the road? I doubt it. Or is it just common commuter cars with it?

My first exposure to stop-start was riding with my uncle in Europe. It was equipped on his Fiat Punto. I suppose he normally turned it off before setting out, but there was a few times with me that he forgot. So we would be sitting at a light, the engine would turn off and my uncle not realize. Then when the light turned green and he tried to take off, the engine wasn't quite running yet and wouldn't go, so he would start cursing in slavic and jabbing the off button. Pretty funny for me, but I'm sure a huge frustration for him. It was a manual transmission too, but I'm not sure if that compounds the problem or not.

Someone mentioned in another thread that when shopping for cars with this feature, see if it can be disabled "permanently" and not default to on every time the car starts.

It's not meant for fuel savings, it's meant to lower emissions. Dealers / salespeople will tell you it's to save on fuel.

I also don't think any vehicle lets you disable it 'permanently'. Maybe there are, I haven't looked into it that much.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
1052 posts
1786 upvotes
If it’s done through a button on your dash, have you thought about pulling it out and completing the circuit so that it always thinks it’s been pushed on?

I remembered driving a Opel astra wagon in Europe 2urs ago and this feature was interesting but it never had issues driving it. No hesitations or issues, I wonder if it was because it was a diesel? Also a manual but I think this is the new norm for all cars. I had the option to turn it off but didn’t care for it much so I left it on.
Feb 2, 2018
192 posts
138 upvotes
Montreal
markopas wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 1:24 am
If it’s done through a button on your dash, have you thought about pulling it out and completing the circuit so that it always thinks it’s been pushed on?
Button doesn't stay depressed for mine and likely for a lot of makes and models. In which case the toggling might require a press and release to activate anything -a debouncing circuit. Just shorting whatever is underneath the button probably wouldn't do.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3115 posts
979 upvotes
Toronto
CloudReader wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 12:06 pm

I initially thought I would hate the system, and disable it every time, but after driving it for a few days, I honestly don’t mind it.

I don't think that should be normal. Sounds like poor implementation.
I like it too. Works well on our Discovery Sport, although it's kind of fickle and doesn't work as soon as conditions are not optimal, like in cold weather.

I think auto stop/start is a feature that should be mandatory on all cars. Every little bit helps. (In the same vein, remote starters should obviously be banned - only wussy Canadians need those).
XtremeModder wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 10:09 pm
It's not meant for fuel savings, it's meant to lower emissions. Dealers / salespeople will tell you it's to save on fuel.

I also don't think any vehicle lets you disable it 'permanently'. Maybe there are, I haven't looked into it that much.
lol That's one of the funniest statements I've read in a while! Care to explain how you lower emissions (CO2) and not save on fuel in the process? That would be a rare feat of engineering! :D
4 years of pain for Ontario...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
23759 posts
10176 upvotes
Ottawa
Little Tim wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 3:35 pm
I like it too. Works well on our Discovery Sport, although it's kind of fickle and doesn't work as soon as conditions are not optimal, like in cold weather.

I think auto stop/start is a feature that should be mandatory on all cars. Every little bit helps. (In the same vein, remote starters should obviously be banned - only wussy Canadians need those).

lol That's one of the funniest statements I've read in a while! Care to explain how you lower emissions (CO2) and not save on fuel in the process? That would be a rare feat of engineering! :D
Lol, says the guy why a vehicle that has safety driving aids.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6284 posts
2317 upvotes
ON
SLee wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 8:17 pm
I like it too on an Acura TLX and it works as you've described for your Forester. On my commute, there's one or two lights that can be a minute long and the engine (especially during summer) can be turned off for almost of that stopped time.
I guess you don't have/like AC in your vehicle ?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6284 posts
2317 upvotes
ON
Little Tim wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 3:35 pm

There's a reason they only have this idiotic feature on vehicles that you don't need to depend on.
The paltry gas savings from it will be eaten up by the extra trips to the mechanic and obviously dealers love folks like you that keep their pockets nicely lined.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3782 posts
553 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 4:45 pm
I guess you don't have/like AC in your vehicle ?
It helps that Calgary has low humidity and doesn't get the same level of heat like in the East or the US. Usually there's enough cool temperature cushion that the car doesn't heat up noticeably before the engine kicks in again.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)