Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9150 posts
936 upvotes
Toronto
Little Tim wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 3:35 pm
I like it too. Works well on our Discovery Sport, although it's kind of fickle and doesn't work as soon as conditions are not optimal, like in cold weather.

I think auto stop/start is a feature that should be mandatory on all cars. Every little bit helps. (In the same vein, remote starters should obviously be banned - only wussy Canadians need those).

lol That's one of the funniest statements I've read in a while! Care to explain how you lower emissions (CO2) and not save on fuel in the process? That would be a rare feat of engineering! :D
You think turning a vehicle on and off constantly is going to save fuel?

In the one vehicle I had that had it i compared a full tank using it and not using it and it made no difference at all.

I’m not the only one on here who’s made the emissions point by the way.

Also one of the reasons I hated it so much was because the vehicle wouldn’t come back on half the time. The ECU would throw an error code and I’d have to put it in park, turn it off, open the door so everything shut off then turn it back on and then I was good... but that’s jeep for you.

My hatred towards the feature was due to a lemon vehicle (which is an understatement to say the least)
Last edited by XtremeModder on Dec 5th, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
6296 posts
2326 upvotes
ON
SLee wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:39 pm
It helps that Calgary has low humidity and doesn't get the same level of heat like in the East or the US. Usually there's enough cool temperature cushion that the car doesn't heat up noticeably before the engine kicks in again.
Yeah that makes sense.
Some days last summer here in Ontario, I could feel the cabin heating up the moment the AC turned off, hence my comment.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2008
3116 posts
982 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:43 pm
You think turning a vehicle on and off constantly is going to save fuel?

In the one vehicle I had that had it i compared a full tank using it and not using it and it made no difference at all.

I’m not the only one on here who’s made the emissions point by the way.

Also one of the reasons I hated it so much was because the vehicle wouldn’t come back on half the time. The ECU would throw an error code and I’d have to put it in park, turn it off, open the door so everything shut off then turn it back on and then I was good... but that’s jeep for you.

My hatred towards the feature was due to a lemon vehicle (which is an understatement to say the least)
Still waiting on an explanation on how lowering emissions (CO2) does NOT equate to lower fuel consumption. There may be some basic physics there that you are misunderstanding.
4 years of pain for Ontario...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9150 posts
936 upvotes
Toronto
Little Tim wrote:
Dec 6th, 2018 9:29 am
Still waiting on an explanation on how lowering emissions (CO2) does NOT equate to lower fuel consumption. There may be some basic physics there that you are misunderstanding.
Here you go:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Start-stop_system
In automobiles, a start-stop system or stop-start system automatically shuts down and restarts the internal combustion engine to reduce the amount of time the engine spends idling, thereby reducing fuel consumption and emissions. This is most advantageous for vehicles which spend significant amounts of time waiting at traffic lights or frequently come to a stop in traffic jams. Start-stop technology may become more common with more stringent government fuel economy and emissions regulations.[1] This feature is present in hybrid electric vehicles, but has also appeared in vehicles which lack a hybrid electric powertrain. For non-electric vehicles fuel economy gains from this technology are typically in the range of 3-10 percent, potentially as high as 12 percent.[2] In the United States, idling wastes approximately 3.9 billion gallons of gasoline per year.[3]
"In the range of 3-10 percent and even as high as 12 percent (potentially)"

The reality is is you most likely will not notice that 3-10% and the only way you will is to drive a few full tanks to empty not using it at all (turn it off) vs having it on.

It made 0 difference in my Jeep to be honest. I'm also not saying lower emissions makes no difference to fuel mileage, but the feature is more of a reduction of emissions over fuel savings.