• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2017 3:21 pm
Tags:
Oct 27, 2013
343 posts
94 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

Disclosure of fee

Hi all. I work for a non for profit and we have several volunteer working groups from industry. We are budgeted but only to cover facility rental and catering. A memeber of the group invited a speaker. I was in discussion with the speaker to arrange a 1 hour presentation. Not once was it disclosed that a fee would be charged and how much it would costs. 1 month later she sends me an invoice for $2000.

I take partial blame for assuming this was pro bono. But is there legislation requiring a contractor/consultant to disclose fees before services rendered?
Last edited by Abacus1010 on Dec 3rd, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
I don't understand why you expect free service. If you wanted free service, you should have let the potential presenter know before hand.

I think people are willing to provide free service sometimes but be upfront about it.

Don't bother asking people to look up for legislation for you. You are presented with a bill, if you want it lowered, discuss it with the person who gave you the bill.

Maybe they will be nice enough to pro bono it now.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Poppwl wrote: I don't understand why you expect free service. If you wanted free service, you should have let the potential presenter know before hand.

I think people are willing to provide free service sometimes but be upfront about it.

Don't bother asking people to look up for legislation for you. You are presented with a bill, if you want it lowered, discuss it with the person who gave you the bill.

Maybe they will be nice enough to pro bono it now.
I don't know why someone would expect to get paid for performing a service as part of a volunteer working group...

As far as the OP goes... I don't think there would be specific legislation to protect you. If needed, it would probably go to small claims court if you can't work out an arrangement. You would both present your case to the justice, and he would decide. The fact that the speaker didn't discuss the fee up front will be a big mark against them, IMHO. The onus would be on the speaker to prove that he was entitled to that fee, since he's the one claiming he was wronged.

But the best approach (as stated by the previous poster) is to discuss it with the speaker and remind them that you're a non-profit, and dealing with volunteers. If you can't work something out, then worry about your legal standing.

C
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
newby1983 wrote: Hi all. I work for a non for profit and we have several volunteer working groups from industry. We are budgeted but only to cover facility rental and catering. A memeber of the group invited a speaker. I was in discussion with the speaker to arrange a 1 hour presentation. Not once was it disclosed that a fee would be charged and how much it would costs. 1 month later she sends me an invoice for $2000.

I take partial blame for assuming this was pro bono. But is there legislation requiring a contractor/consultant to disclose fees before services rendered?
I would tell the speaker to stuff it. They should have stated there was a fee. Remaining silent and thinking that means explicit acceptance of whatever fee they are going to charge, which fee is not even disclosed as to amount or the fact that there is even one, does not entitle them to a fee. By the logic of people commenting on here if the fee was $500,000 then you owe it. Hardly! Sheesh! Now I've heard it all (well maybe not as RFD keeps offering up more amazing stories).

The fact you are a non-profit makes the whole episode even more egregious on behalf of the speaker. It's probably their modus operandi as they realize most people would tell them to take a hike if they knew there was a fee and that it was $2K.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
eonibm wrote: I would tell the speaker to stuff it. They should have stated there was a fee. Remaining silent and thinking that means explicit acceptance of whatever fee they are going to charge, which fee is not even disclosed as to amount or the fact that there is even one, does not entitle them to a fee. By the logic of people commenting on here if the fee was $500,000 then you owe it. Hardly! Sheesh! Now I've heard it all (well maybe not as RFD keeps offering up more amazing stories).

The fact you are a non-profit makes the whole episode even more egregious on behalf of the speaker. It's probably their modus operandi as they realize most people would tell them to take a hike if they knew there was a fee and that it was $2K.
Only two comments were made, and only one of those thought the OP should just blindly pay up...

C
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
CNeufeld wrote: Only two comments were made, and only one of those thought the OP should just blindly pay up...

C
Yes and that is 100% of the replies on this thread up until mine.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
eonibm wrote: Yes and that is 100% of the replies on this thread up until mine.
One comment out of 2 comments made is 50%...

C
Oct 27, 2012
406 posts
396 upvotes
Shwa
If there was no contract stating how much you agreed to pay then I wouldn't give her anything. Maybe pay for her travel expenses.