None
Mar 6, 2013
3 posts
JaneDil wrote:
Mar 8th, 2013 5:52 am
If you want to be on MLS and receive any emails or phone calls directly, then
comFree is a good way to go. Your phone number will be posted on your sign,
as well as on the comFree listing. You can include your email address in your
write-up. And it can be visible on the pamphlets they prepare for you.

Flat-fee service that includes amazing photos (the best in the biz, in my opinion).
Their cameras and finished pictures always make the rooms appear large and well lit.
Compare to any of the pictures you see on MLS from traditional realtors and you'll see what I mean. And good photos can make a huge difference.

You will also have access to a support team to answer any questions along the way.
Plus a real estate lawyer (no charge) to handle any questions or offers. You would
still need to pay a lawyer to handle the actual closing though (which is true if you
use a realtor as well...so no difference there).

Alternatively, you can look for a low-fee realtor in your area who will either provide full service
or simply post your listing on MLS - depending on your needs.

Best of luck!

And as others have mentioned, you will likely need to offer 2.5% (although 2.25% is quickly becoming popular) in order to bring agents through with potential buyers.
Thanks a bunch. I chekced out Comfree but I don't think I will use them as I was told they don't list your home on the local MLS (they list it in Toronto MLS?) even though it shows up on realtor.com. I don't mind paying someone who has a buyer 2.5% which appears to be the standard and I'm told if it is not on the Ottawa MLS, Ottawa agents won't see it.

Thanks everyone for your insight. I'll keep investigating as there seems to be some good options out there. Great forum, BTW.
Feb 18, 2010
828 posts
305 upvotes
Greely
Donnie740 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2013 3:01 am
If you really want people to deal directly with you, then put your house on com free or the property guys or kijiji and forget about MLS. My guess is that you realize those options are pretty much useless at getting any results.
I sold my house using kijiji. My ad went up on friday evening, open house on sunday, and an offer on Monday. To put it in perspective, this was late fall of 2009, when agents couldn't find enough listings.

RE Agents do check out kijiji. If you aren't adverse to paying commission, include something like: "Real estate agents accompanied by qualified buyers welcome @ 2.xx% commission". Just understand that the agent will be looking out for their buyers interests (and their own), not yours.
Banned
Nov 2, 2012
2778 posts
473 upvotes
Hamilton
OP: You're right. ComFree only posts on TREB, which is a huge drawback for those outside of the GTA.
You would still be visible to anyone searching the public MLS (i.e. potential buyers) but apparently realtors
only search the MLX.

Not sure why they wouldn't spend a few minutes every week or so checking out other
homes on the market though? Especially if they've exhausted all of the MLX homes...and considering
the fact that many sellers on ComFree or Property Guys are willing to pay full commission.

**By the way - this is something that anyone with a buying agent should keep in mind: Your agent will not necessarily show you all of the homes that fit your criteria (i.e. price, bedrooms, location, etc.). If there is a FSBO property that fits your wish list to a T (your dream home) chances are your agent will never even mention it to you. So do some digging on your own. There are some great properties on those sites.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9836 posts
2969 upvotes
Ottawa
marchamble wrote:
Mar 8th, 2013 8:27 am
Thanks a bunch. I chekced out Comfree but I don't think I will use them as I was told they don't list your home on the local MLS (they list it in Toronto MLS?) even though it shows up on realtor.com. I don't mind paying someone who has a buyer 2.5% which appears to be the standard and I'm told if it is not on the Ottawa MLS, Ottawa agents won't see it.

Thanks everyone for your insight. I'll keep investigating as there seems to be some good options out there. Great forum, BTW.
This is what I experienced last year when we put up our home for sale on Grapevine. We had 2 open houses and quite a few interested parties but nothing materialized. I went with the Usher Group to post our listing on MLS and we had 2 offers within a couple of days. Both came in from agents who were looking for properties for their clients.

Nothing against Grapevine, ComFree, PropertyGuys or Kijiji but in this buyers' market (homes are sitting longer on the market, for a variety of reasons, but there are other threads for that topic), you want to go where the action is and unfortunately, MLS is still the dominant force in that aspect.

I can't speak for everyone else but I have no problem doling out 2.5% (or less, we always try to negotiate) to buyers' agent if they can bring in qualified buyers and by this I mean people who have had pre-approval and are somewhat reasonable with closing date. This is typically the biggest investment in one's life and many people just simply don't have the knowledge, the courage or the time to go on their own and they rely on agents to do the legwork for them and that's fine by me. Bring me a qualified buyer and we will talk, that's my approach. I already save 2.5% by not going with a listing agent so I am already off to a good start.

Cheers and good luck to you! Now is a good time to list as the traditionally busy spring real estate season is upon us and there will be opportunities.
[removed]
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1704 posts
130 upvotes
i am trying to sell my condo in this horrible market (a recent unit in my building was sold for the same price i bought it at 4 years ago) and hoping to minimize my loss. just to get this straight.. if i go with usher group's mere mls listing srevice, would an agent still "represent" my listing on MLS and he or she will forward me any interested agents wishing to book a showing? i feel pretty comfortable listing at a competitive price, and no problem with coming up with my own descriptions and pictures.. is there any point in paying more for usher group's "tailored listing"? my worries if i go with the 'mere mls listing' is that, i am not sure how showings work and how i will physically receive offers..

p.s. i guess i have no option to go through grapevine as their condo listing ($295+hst) + MLS listing ($199+hst) is cheaper than the regular mls listing price for non grapevine users ($699+hst)..
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9836 posts
2969 upvotes
Ottawa
leoben wrote:
Mar 1st, 2014 11:41 am
i am trying to sell my condo in this horrible market (a recent unit in my building was sold for the same price i bought it at 4 years ago) and hoping to minimize my loss. just to get this straight.. if i go with usher group's mere mls listing srevice, would an agent still "represent" my listing on MLS and he or she will forward me any interested agents wishing to book a showing? i feel pretty comfortable listing at a competitive price, and no problem with coming up with my own descriptions and pictures.. is there any point in paying more for usher group's "tailored listing"? my worries if i go with the 'mere mls listing' is that, i am not sure how showings work and how i will physically receive offers..

p.s. i guess i have no option to go through grapevine as their condo listing ($295+hst) + MLS listing ($199+hst) is cheaper than the regular mls listing price for non grapevine users ($699+hst)..
leo, we had the *mere listing* with the Usher Group (in addition to Grapevine listing) and I can answer your questions

1. The Usher agent will represent your listing on MLS but only because you have to be a licensed agent to post listing on MLS and that's it. Interested buyers (with our without agents) will contact the agent who will then forward their contact info and inquiries to you, the seller where you can arrange showings at your convenience.

2. I am not familiar with Usher's *tailored listing*, is that the upgraded package from *mere listing*? What's the commissions and what will the Usher agent do?

3. Yes it's better to have as much exposure as possible. Grapevine has been around for a long time, many people know about it and it doesn't hurt to have your condo on there. The Usher savings can only help.
[removed]
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1704 posts
130 upvotes
@canabiz - thanks for the helpful information. by tailored listing, I meant their "full service listing" listed on their website but it has no pricing info : http://www.theushergroup.ca/packages.html

I will give them a call when their office is open to find out what additional service they offer, and how much it costs. But I will most likely just go with the mere listing + grapevine condo listing ($500+hst) and offer 2.5% to buyer's agent.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9836 posts
2969 upvotes
Ottawa
leoben wrote:
Mar 1st, 2014 1:30 pm
@canabiz - thanks for the helpful information. by tailored listing, I meant their "full service listing" listed on their website but it has no pricing info : http://www.theushergroup.ca/packages.html

I will give them a call when their office is open to find out what additional service they offer, and how much it costs. But I will most likely just go with the mere listing + grapevine condo listing ($500+hst) and offer 2.5% to buyer's agent.
No worry leo. Happy to help and share my experience. Hopefully the low(er) interest rate and better weather ahead will help generate some traffic, at the very least.

Don't forget everything is negotiable when it comes to real estate. You may be able to negotiate a 2% (or less!) commission for buyer's agent. They may not like it but it's better than not having anything coming in. Never hurt to ask!

Good luck and keep us posted!
[removed]