• Apr 26th, 2015 7:41 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 17, 2009
491 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver

Discussing salaries openly

Do you ever discuss what your making with your colleagues or friends? Such a cliche subject.

How come people state their gross income vs take home pay? Is it because they want people to think they make more? It's not like you're getting that amount in your bank account. Most of it goes to taxes anyways....

Why can't people be more open to what they're making instead of keeping it a secret?

I'm a snoopy person, I would love to be in the payroll department or work as a bank teller.
Personal Finance Blog
http://penniesatplay.blogspot.ca
62 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2492 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
so, how much do you make pre/post-tax, what assets do you own and what job do you do and what education background do you have?
Jun 17, 2009
491 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
I started making $10/hr and worked my way up from there. Not going to share unless you share first and you didn't even answer my questions anyways. You can find most of my assets on my blog.
Personal Finance Blog
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
2492 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
pchi wrote: I started making $10/hr and worked my way up from there. Not going to share unless you share first and you didn't even answer my questions anyways. You can find most of my assets on my blog.
that's my point
pchi wrote: Why can't people be more open to what they're making instead of keeping it a secret?
Jul 25, 2011
778 posts
213 upvotes
VANCOUVER
pchi wrote: I started making $10/hr and worked my way up from there. Not going to share unless you share first and you didn't even answer my questions anyways. You can find most of my assets on my blog.
Well isn't that funny? You're exactly the type of person I would hate to be around in real life: those that want to know EVERYTHING about you but are unwilling to share the details of their own life. :cheesygri

As for salaries I share only with my close friends that I can trust - a lot of nosy people have asked but I have stood my ground and firmly said no and gave them the look.
Jun 26, 2010
475 posts
55 upvotes
Salary is a delicate subject. It's a metric that quantifies your worth and its not something that you can discuss in a detached sort of way. If you want to discuss your salary openly then go ahead but 9 times out of 10 it's not a good idea. The more pragmatic / sensible course of action is to just avoid it entirely. They say that if everyone knew what everyone else was making everyone would quit their jobs.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
1420 posts
323 upvotes
New Tecumseth, ON
All the time. $96,955.44 on the T4 last year.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 8, 2007
5551 posts
2221 upvotes
Hahahahaha, OP immediately clowned in the 2nd post.

gg OP.
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Banned
Nov 12, 2013
927 posts
209 upvotes
Iceland
Whats the point? Whenever someone bothers you with that question and you don't feel like answering, just say not enough.
"Between my salary and the office supplies I pilfer, I'm making 6 figures."
Medicine1T4 wrote: oh that's just a username............... im in grade 12
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
pchi wrote: Do you ever discuss what your making with your colleagues or friends? Such a cliche subject.

How come people state their gross income vs take home pay? Is it because they want people to think they make more? It's not like you're getting that amount in your bank account. Most of it goes to taxes anyways....

Why can't people be more open to what they're making instead of keeping it a secret?

I'm a snoopy person, I would love to be in the payroll department or work as a bank teller.
I discuss it openly, but ONLY with close friends/colleagues. I'm a health professional and the close group of friends that I graduated with, we always talk about how much we have earned, doing whatever procedures, etc. It isn't something we hide or embellish, because what it does, if anything, is motivate us to do more. One of my good friends for example, made about $22,000 in 2 weeks of work (pre-taxes) which was < 2 years out of uni. Now that same guy earns $12,000 for 2 hours worth of work. Not all the time mind you...

No need to hate or care what others earn. It is what it is.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21359 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
It would be interesting to know what your colleagues make, though. Nothing worse than finding out a colleague at the same level, maybe even same team makes $10K more than you.
Jun 17, 2009
491 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
There are always some people who are more open than others. Most people I talk to will divulge openly once they know I'm on the same page. But some people are very private and will not share even when in different industries.
Personal Finance Blog
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote: It would be interesting to know what your colleagues make, though. Nothing worse than finding out a colleague at the same level, maybe even same team makes $10K more than you.
But it's all relative. In my profession, the harder you work, and the greater risks taken, the greater the rewards. I choose not to over-work myself, and sure, that friend of mine might earn more than I do, but so what? Seriously, who cares? Cuz I don't.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2015
1032 posts
234 upvotes
Fort Mac, AB/Lambton…
pchi wrote: Not going to share unless you share first
There's probably quite a few people who would be comfortable discussing their income, but if they all think that way, then who is going to be the first to share?

I feel comfortable sharing, including with co-workers. Actually, especially with co-workers. But that's because we all make union rate. We all know each others credentials, and it's credentials that determine your pay. So even if you didn't share, your co-workers would know.

My parents never discussed their income with us kids. I think that's bad practice. Your parents' income dictates your lifestyle. For your first 20 or so years of life, that income is the only one you can use to translate into a certain lifestyle. I always thought my parents made quite a bit less than they did, like 100k, when they were actually making 180k total. Had I known that, I would have made different choices. Because I thought they made 100k, I also thought that 100k was an exceptional income for a single person. I'd be considerably better off than my parents.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
I don't know exactly how much I make bc I get a bonus. My base, I barely remember, I have the first 2 numbers. Plus other 'benefits' that bump up my pay a bit, like DC matching, flex dollars that I don't all use.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2854 posts
2860 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
Never at work, as I am professional environment and it is unprofessional to do so.

My closest family we all knoweach other salaries, approx net worth, as we support each other in terms of advice. I don't share much even with my closests friends, as i already know that i have the highest net worth, out of everyone we hang out with, and I feel it's almost bragging. My friends share with me their financial situations all the time, and many are in debt. I will answers questions if directly asked such as what investments have, gains and loses, we don't have a mortgage, our rentals, ect. This is for the purpose of educational usually, so I don't mind sharing. But I don't divulge everything.

I am pretty open with my finances and money but don't see a purpose to share final numbers, nor income.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2583 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
For those of us that work in the private sector in non union jobs, it's not usually discussed in the workplace.
I never talk about it at work and am never asked. We know the salary bands in our company and where we stand based on our performance ratings.
I'm in IT and there are a lot of salary surveys out there as well to gauge where one should be.
I let my immediate family know how much I make but don't really talk about it with friends.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21359 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Sibica wrote: But it's all relative. In my profession, the harder you work, and the greater risks taken, the greater the rewards. I choose not to over-work myself, and sure, that friend of mine might earn more than I do, but so what? Seriously, who cares? Cuz I don't.
Not all professions compensate based on "hard work". And yes, I do care how much my pears in the same role make. Of course...especially if they're dumb.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2905 posts
2578 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty nice blog, you should post more details on your site such as how long you had to work to make your current portfolio a reality like how old you were when you started and how old you are now.
Feb 11, 2012
962 posts
72 upvotes
CONCORD
OP is a clown. If you want to discuss salaries, then you better start with it yourself. Otherwise, you make a joke out of yourself and it backfires on you right away.
Get educated on how the world needs to work with the Venus Project