Home & Garden

Disgusting letter received from Property Mgr.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2007 3:00 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2003
2054 posts
181 upvotes
What does your condo rules & regulations say? I would read that carefully and consult a lawyer.

Not easy to just sell the place and leave.
Oct 23, 2006
965 posts
35 upvotes
OP, you might want to ask the vet about the use of the collar mentioned in post #19. And I suggest you heed the advice in post #17. Good luck!
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
bionicbadger wrote: Thats just dog howling, thats not the shiba scream. The scream makes it sound like the dog is in agony, its not something other dogs do as far as I know.

This is pretty close: (shiba getting sprayed with hose)
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=NTjPiYfjBmY
ahhh...i c We have a neighbor with a dog that makes that noise about every day around 5:30. it does sound like its being tortured. Very disconcerting noise.

I think the word "lady" being considered a sexist remark is a big stretch...but calling her nutty is also pretty unfair. If someone doesnt know much about dogs and hears one of those crazy things I could see how she would think its being abused. They really do sound like a dog thats being killed. Not everyone with a difference in opinion is "nutty".
Our malamute howls occasionally, but I cant imagine living with a Shiba based on the vid, as well as what we hear from our neighbors dog (about 8 houses down). Theres too many other great breeds out there.
Dec 15, 2003
649 posts
Vancouver
Dustbunny wrote: The sexist remark was "I just don't have the time or patience to deal with a 50 year old nutty lady". To me, a non labelling remark might have simply said 'nutty neighbour'. Also it was not me who assumed the muzzle was in constant use, nor did I say it was. I said "Explain when he's been muzzled and your dismay at people thinking it is all the time."

You don't read very carefully.
I'm not sexist, it could be a 50 year old male for all I care. The fact is that she's been unwelcoming since she first saw me move it. I'm assuming she has something against me being so young and moving into this building. I'm just saying she 50 years old, a lady, and ****in nutty. She is your typical nosey neighbour who does not have anything better to do.

I'll try the citronella.
To contact an Equifax agent directly: 1 866 204 9044 Press 3, then press 1 for reaching a rep.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
mirek wrote: I'm not sexist, it could be a 50 year old male for all I care. The fact is that she's been unwelcoming since she first saw me move it. I'm assuming she has something against me being so young and moving into this building. I'm just saying she 50 years old, a lady, and ****in nutty. She is your typical nosey neighbour who does not have anything better to do.

I'll try the citronella.
Boy, you have shifted this from a one line statement in a letter to the people (person) living around you. The letter may have been a comment on what the dog sounds like during the day. You say that is the noise this breed makes and to the beholder, it may sound like a muzzled animal. Really, you have a dog that bothers the neighbors, you have a problem not the neighbors.
It does not matter if the dog howls, barks, screams or yelp, it is your dog and you need to control it. All the time. It does not matter if you are a 25 year old professional or a 50 year old woman (who may work nights?). The treatment for your situation would remain the same, control your pet.
Dec 15, 2003
649 posts
Vancouver
Pete_Coach wrote: Boy, you have shifted this from a one line statement in a letter to the people (person) living around you. The letter may have been a comment on what the dog sounds like during the day. You say that is the noise this breed makes and to the beholder, it may sound like a muzzled animal. Really, you have a dog that bothers the neighbors, you have a problem not the neighbors.
It does not matter if the dog howls, barks, screams or yelp, it is your dog and you need to control it. All the time. It does not matter if you are a 25 year old professional or a 50 year old woman (who may work nights?). The treatment for your situation would remain the same, control your pet.

I have no issue with the noise, the point I am saying is that they are saying I am treating my dog inappropriately. The dog is under control now.
To contact an Equifax agent directly: 1 866 204 9044 Press 3, then press 1 for reaching a rep.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
mirek wrote: I have no issue with the noise, the point I am saying is that they are saying I am treating my dog inappropriately. The dog is under control now.
Of course you have no issue with the noise, it is your dog making the noise. As I said, it appears that your dog apparently makes some kind of strange sounds and the person writing the letter may have taken that as an animal being muzzled, therefore that made that comment in the letter. Now they know better but, do you and your dog?
Your animals noises (call them barking, howling or whatever) are intrusive to others.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
Pete_Coach wrote: Of course you have no issue with the noise, it is your dog making the noise. As I said, it appears that your dog apparently makes some kind of strange sounds and the person writing the letter may have taken that as an animal being muzzled, therefore that made that comment in the letter. Now they know better but, do you and your dog?
Your animals noises (call them barking, howling or whatever) are intrusive to others.
+1
I think the OP is deflecting here...the real issue is not what the neighbor/landlord etc. said or wrote, its you taking responsibility(action) for the noise your dog is making. Until you correct your dogs behaviour and become a "good neighbor", you have nothing to be offended or disgusted about.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2003
1118 posts
43 upvotes
As a dog owner, I feel your pain but yet I feel the pain of your neighbours. Then again, I am a pretty accomdating neighbour - they said we were walking too loud (mind you.. I am pretty tiny and weigh under 100 lbs). We put in upgraded floors and padding.

I have lived in a house for many years and my dogs are used to barking if someone rings the door bell or comes near the house. I have never stopped this behaviour because it didn't bother me. However, in our new stacked townhouse - they can frequently hear someone or something and the barking has increased. I can control it while I am at home because I can get them to be quiet. When I am not home that is a different story ..

I was worried that they were making too much noise (especially with their howling barks). I setup a web cam so I can see what they are up to and how much barking they do while I am gone. They sleep most of the day but on occasion - they do bark a lot. I ended up moving them to my top floor while I am out because they can't hear any of the neighbours up there.

I suggest that you fix the barking problem as soon as possible. Most condos can boot your dog out. I have heard that these citronella spray collars are pretty good. (http://www.multivet.net/en/products/antibark/).
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3906 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
mirek wrote: I just bought my condo a few month ago, 3 story walk up in Vancouver. We have a 11 year old dog, Shiba Inu, well trained. However he is old, and lived in the same house for 11 years, so changing his dwelling made him a little uneasy. He's fine when we're home, playful and energetic, but when we leave he cries. It's not something that he can adjust to instantly.

Anyways, we got a few complaints about him being loud while we are gone, and I understand it can be frustrating, however I get this letter from the Property Manager, where among othe things it says

"... complaints are received regarding your dog noting that it cries throughout many hours of the day, is muzzled for continued periods of time of course causing quite a distress to the dog itself, and generally is treated in a manor, which is not appropriate, ....."

The dog has only been muzzled ONCE, when we had to take him to the vet, because he will bite the Vet if not muzzled. And only 1 neighbours saw that, the overweight, underloved strata president who lives below me, who loves to complain that I "walk too loud".

This letter was CC'd to All Council Members. I can not believe that they would say that I treat my dog inappropriately. I am offended. We love our dog, he gets 3 walks a day, and is constantly being played with.

What can I do?
Welcome to the world of community living. You do realize that living in a condo is very very different from living in a house? You MUST consider your actions on others.

You say you've been there a few months, that you leave the dog alone and he cries, and that the crying is clearly heard by neighbours.
And you don't think that's your fault? Or that people should put up with it?
You are offended by a letter? Imagine how offended your neighbours are for having to put up with the noise.

sheesh.
--
There is no happy ending
Dec 15, 2003
649 posts
Vancouver
Sylvestre wrote: Welcome to the world of community living. You do realize that living in a condo is very very different from living in a house? You MUST consider your actions on others.

You say you've been there a few months, that you leave the dog alone and he cries, and that the crying is clearly heard by neighbours.
And you don't think that's your fault? Or that people should put up with it?
You are offended by a letter? Imagine how offended your neighbours are for having to put up with the noise.

sheesh.

The noise issue was resolved, the dog no longer cries or howls, I have been here 2 months, however the dog was here for 3 week while we were getting him adjusted to his new dwelling, he's an older dog.

I do understand my neighbours concern, what offends me about the letter is that the lady downstairs spoke to the property mgr and told him that we are treating the dog in a manner that is inappropriate! I have never said that the dog was not loud or that the noise didn't need to be fixed.

Again, the NOISE ISSUES IS RESOLVED. I just don't understand how someone can just say that I treat my dog in an inappropriate manner. Just because she saw the dog once with the muzzle when it was being taken to the vet.

Am I just being too sensitive? If your property manager wrote a letter saying that you treated your children in an manner that was inappropriate would you not be offended? I don't see how it's any different...?
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3906 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Here's a neighbour who's been hearing a dog crying all day, and sees you not doing anything about it.
Yeah, If I were your neighbour and heard an animal treated like that, I'd say you were doing a bad job.
--
There is no happy ending
Dec 15, 2003
649 posts
Vancouver
Sylvestre wrote: Here's a neighbour who's been hearing a dog crying all day, and sees you not doing anything about it.
Yeah, If I were your neighbour and heard an animal treated like that, I'd say you were doing a bad job.
:confused: I do a good job with my dog, he's a happy dog who's treated great.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
[QUOTE]Am I just being too sensitive? If your property manager wrote a letter saying that you treated your children in an manner that was inappropriate would you not be offended? I don't see how it's any different...?[/QUOTE]
You're right, its no different, AND you are being too sensitive. If the letter was written that someone was treating their children improperly BASED on multiple and confirmed reports of crying, screaming etc coming from the apartment/child in question, then you would have no reason to be offended, just embarrased for creating a scenario which turned your neighbors against you. You keep forgetting that the thing that is offending you, is also somewhat justified from the other side, and thats why you havent been getting much love on RFD on this topic.
Dude, just let it go. We've all been there. They probably have exaggerated it a bit for effect, but prob to the same extent that you've diminished the possible impact to your neighbors of a nuisance dog.
Time heals all wounds. If your dog is no longer making noise when you are both home and not home, your neighbors will chill out and it will all be forgotten. Just consider it a lesson learned, that if you p!ss people off enough, they may take the gloves off in letters to/about you.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
mirek wrote: :confused: I do a good job with my dog, he's a happy dog who's treated great.
Probably, and I belive you. Some dogs are insecure and they get stressed when owners arent home, or excited when they arrive.
But it comes down to PERCEPTION by people who cant see through your walls, they only hear something distressful (or at least previously did).
Its like a sitcom, any sitcom, where one character eavesdrops or overhears part of a conversation of 2 other characters and then comes to the incorrect conclusion that they are having an affair, or or someone is dying, or going to kill someone, etc....and the hilarity ensues. :)
Dec 15, 2003
649 posts
Vancouver
stealth wrote: You're right, its no different, AND you are being too sensitive. If the letter was written that someone was treating their children improperly BASED on multiple and confirmed reports of crying, screaming etc coming from the apartment/child in question, then you would have no reason to be offended, just embarrased for creating a scenario which turned your neighbors against you. You keep forgetting that the thing that is offending you, is also somewhat justified from the other side, and thats why you havent been getting much love on RFD on this topic.
Dude, just let it go. We've all been there. They probably have exaggerated it a bit for effect, but prob to the same extent that you've diminished the possible impact to your neighbors of a nuisance dog.
Time heals all wounds. If your dog is no longer making noise when you are both home and not home, your neighbors will chill out and it will all be forgotten. Just consider it a lesson learned, that if you p!ss people off enough, they may take the gloves off in letters to/about you.
It was not multiple, I spoke with the property manager and he said it was just the one lady downstairs that has said anything. The one that has had it in for me since I moved in, in my opinion :)

I've let it go, it just sucks to be labels an abusive pet owner by the property manager and then have it CC'd to the whole council.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)