Home & Garden

Dishwasher just blew up .. need to buy one?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2006 5:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1459 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto

Dishwasher just blew up .. need to buy one?

My dishwasher just died and must get one asap... Any advice on make or model ..what are the best ones out there?...thanks for any help... :)
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
2158 posts
42 upvotes
Mississauga
What's your budget? If your budget is high, I would consider a Miele or Bosch.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1608 posts
144 upvotes
Hampton
Whirlpool - steer clear of GE - they are the Chrysler of the appliance world. I would have concerns about a Bosch also - I had one in the UK 5 years ago and it was great but I see too many comments about reliability issues on the current machines over here.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2654 posts
1789 upvotes
Edmonton
Slapshot747 wrote:My dishwasher just died and must get one asap... Any advice on make or model ..what are the best ones out there?...thanks for any help... :)
What died?
If it's the pump or the pump gasket with minimum tools and experience you can change them out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5504 posts
690 upvotes
I have a Miele and have been very happy with it. Super quiet and the cutlery tray is very useful.
This space for rent.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5897 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
If money is not an issue, go with a bosch

If money is an issue, stick with Maytag!!!!

sk :)
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6818 posts
567 upvotes
If you have $2000+ to spend then get a Miele, if not Kitchen-Aid is good.

Miele is better built than Bosch and stands behind their products far better.

Stay away from GE and Frigidaire (and their kenmore rebranded equivalents)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5504 posts
690 upvotes
We paid $1400 for ours at Appliance Canada delivered. $2000 will probably get you their top model with the customized front. We got the model with the dial and SS front.
This space for rent.
Feb 17, 2002
970 posts
40 upvotes
Edmonton
I'd buy an Asko over Miele or Bosch..
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1459 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
Looking to spend anywhere between 600 to 1000 not much more .. i hear maytag is good?... I was told to stay away from GE also ...for my price maybe whirlpool or maytag might be the one?... :)
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
14972 posts
213944 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Do like what I do, wash your dishes by hand. :) Save water, save energy. :D

Ju Leon...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6507 posts
278 upvotes
inferno_gn wrote:Hi there,

Do like what I do, wash your dishes by hand. :) Save water, save energy. :D

Ju Leon...
Wrong. A good dishwasher will use less water and energy than you rinsing and washing dishes by hand.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
14972 posts
213944 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Not really. It depends I guess how many dishes and all that you have to clean.

Ju Leon...
Nov 20, 2002
873 posts
37 upvotes
Edmonton
inferno_gn wrote:Hi there,

Not really. It depends I guess how many dishes and all that you have to clean.

Ju Leon...
Unless you are licking them clean ;) if you wash one dish a day by hand or 14 in a dishwasher every other week, new dishwashers are still more energy efficient! :)
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
14972 posts
213944 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

As I say, it depends. :)

Ju Leon...
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1459 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
Wash dishes by hand!! .. Cant have dishpan hands ..lol...went to look at dishwashers today .. they sell whirlpool at this place i was looking.. I ask him about maytag and he said they were not reliable .. im thinking he said that cuz he dont sell them in his store.... :lol:
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4274 posts
299 upvotes
Hamilton
Lately, every time I go to Home Depot in Ancaster they have a pile of clearance appliances sitting out front. All are marked down and there seems to be decent selection. Couldn't hurt to check your local HD - also, get a few 20% off gift cards to make it cheaper again.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2003
1608 posts
144 upvotes
Hampton
HD sell mostly GE appliances - which are bad news - I should have added that Maytag have a fair few issues (although I understand there was a time when they had a very reputation). Whirlpool have their fair share of problems but are less prone than others and tend to be cheaper to buy parts for if you have to repair at some stage down the road.

At your price point I would like at Whirlpool - you wont get Bosch or Miele or Asko in that price range and Kitchenaid would be a pinch (with KA you are paying for the name as much as anything else anyway - they are made by Whirlpool with a lot of the same parts inside as the Whirlpool models.) You could also look at the Kenmores - make sure you get one made by Whirlpool though - that means the model number which looks like XXX.XXXXXXXXX should start with either 106, 110, 562, 665 or 198. The model number is just inside the dishwasher door so you will have to go look at them instore - it is different to the product number !!
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2006
1459 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
synaptech wrote:Lately, every time I go to Home Depot in Ancaster they have a pile of clearance appliances sitting out front. All are marked down and there seems to be decent selection. Couldn't hurt to check your local HD - also, get a few 20% off gift cards to make it cheaper again.

Thanks for the tip... i checked HD online and they dont list any dishwashers on there..Where can i get the 20 percent of coupons?... :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)