Dishwasher steam venting?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2019 9:39 am
[OP]
Feb 7, 2006
399 posts
89 upvotes

Dishwasher steam venting?

I have a Bosch dishwasher around 2 years old. I took it out today and found that it's damaging the side of the cabinet. It looks like there is some steam vent on the left side. Does anybody know if it is indeed a vent to let out hot air?
If so, does anybody have a solution for this? I'm thinking of putting aluminum tape until I can figure out what to do.

Thanks in advance, look forward to hearing your ideas.

4 replies
May 21, 2015
726 posts
340 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
That is not normal and appears to be a leak of some sort or a missing piece. Most if not all residential dishwashers vent from the front door or just above the front door and usually supply you with a steam shield to attach under the lip of your countertop.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18688 posts
6709 upvotes
Toronto
Beneful1 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:06 am
That is not normal and appears to be a leak of some sort or a missing piece. Most if not all residential dishwashers vent from the front door or just above the front door and usually supply you with a steam shield to attach under the lip of your countertop.
+1. I have a Miele dishwasher. The installation kit includes a strip of stainless steel that is fastened on the underside to protect against steam. I didn't bother installing it because the amount of steaming is tiny. The previous dishwasher didn't come with a steam shield and I had no problems.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2176 posts
741 upvotes
Mississauga
That is the water inlet and condensation system. The opening for condensation exit looks normal.
What happens when you run a cleaning cycle with it pulled out? Does excess water back it up? My old Samsung dishwasher had the condensation system part of the re-circulation pump the issue was after a few years of use food debris in the line will sometimes cause the line to overflow though the vent.

FYI...The hose with black writing below it is the drain.
Jan 9, 2007
13 posts
I have the same dishwasher and can confirm that it will ruin your cabinet if left that way, my cabinet almost has a hole through the side where the moisture has eroded the melamine and particle board. I have no idea why Bosch would design a dishwasher this way?
15600875040682615642032582871038.jpg