• Aug 21st, 2010 2:03 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 4, 2005
443 posts
7 upvotes

Dishwasher without Cabinet

Hi, we never owned a dishwasher before and have finally decided to get on board with one. However, 99% of dishwashers sold are "built-in" and we do not have an empty kitchen cabinet to put one in. Also, I dont want to get a "portable" one just because of the very limited selections available.

My question is:
1) Would it be possible to run a "built-in" dishwasher in the open, beside my kitchen cabinet/counter? Functionally, any issue with this?

2) Can I build a simple cabinet to house the unit in it? How difficult would that be using material available at Home Depot type stores.

Any experience or suggestion would be a great help!
22 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2133 posts
194 upvotes
ao_tenshi wrote:
Jan 13th, 2010 10:37 am
My question is:
1) Would it be possible to run a "built-in" dishwasher in the open, beside my kitchen cabinet/counter? Functionally, any issue with this?

2) Can I build a simple cabinet to house the unit in it? How difficult would that be using material available at Home Depot type stores.
That's how we did ours. There was a 3' empty space to the right of one of our counter tops, so rather than sacrifice cupboards to install a dishwasher, we plunked the dishwasher down on the end.

Initially it was totally open to the room, but eventually we bought a new countertop that was 2' longer than the original to cover the top, and an end piece to cover the right side, so now it looks just like a traditional install.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2006
3514 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto
If you have the space beside your existing cabinets to place a dishwasher comfortably, then there is nothing stopping you from doing that. All you really need is access to a water line and drain as well as an electrical connection (or the ability to install an electrical connection).

From an esthetic perspective, it might look a little funny, but if you have the ability to build a matching enclosure, then I'd say to go ahead!

Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
GSRee wrote:
Jan 13th, 2010 12:56 pm
That's how we did ours. There was a 3' empty space to the right of one of our counter tops, so rather than sacrifice cupboards to install a dishwasher, we plunked the dishwasher down on the end.

Initially it was totally open to the room, but eventually we bought a new countertop that was 2' longer than the original to cover the top, and an end piece to cover the right side, so now it looks just like a traditional install.
I was in a similar situation.

What I did was unscrew the cabinet from the wall and countertop, removed enough tiles from the floor, and shifted the entire cabinet over 24". This made room for the dishwasher to be right next to the sink (one cabinet ended and another one began right at the end of the sink, may not work for you). I then had to fashion extra braces on the cabinet for the countertop, and bought a piece of wood countertop from Ikea that looks like a cutting board, used that as the extended countertop at the end which doubled as a cutting board (it looked like it belonged there). Eventually, we replaced the entire countertop.
This space for rent
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
2474 posts
160 upvotes
You shouldn't have any problems. Do you have a pic or diagram of your kitchen?
[OP]
Jul 4, 2005
443 posts
7 upvotes
After reading some of the great suggestions, I just realized I dont have a high power electrical outlet. Only the standard household outlet.

Does a dishwasher use standard electrical outlet or some specialized outlet like a Washer/Dryer?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2006
2208 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
My Installation manuals says:

You must have:
• 120-volt, 60 Hz, AC-only, 15 or 20 amp., fused electrical
supply.
• copper wire only.

We recommend:
• a time-delay fuse or circuit breaker.
• a separate circuit.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10200 posts
1008 upvotes
Brampton
I found this pic that looks like the Ikea VÄRDE Cabinet for dishwasher :D

The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
3514 posts
1303 upvotes
Toronto
Is it just me, or does the IKEA cabinet for $250 seem way over-priced?
It's basically some unfinished wood, 4 steel braces and some legs.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
ao_tenshi wrote:
Jan 14th, 2010 11:56 am
After reading some of the great suggestions, I just realized I dont have a high power electrical outlet. Only the standard household outlet.

Does a dishwasher use standard electrical outlet or some specialized outlet like a Washer/Dryer?
Regular. Washer is also regular. You want it on its own circuit though.

What I did was I created an outlet below where the washer was going to go. I removed the wiring from one of the above countertop outlets and ran it down to use there. I removed the above outlet and put a wall plate on to cover the hole.

The above countertop outlets are typically on its own 2x15A circuit, one for each plug, so it was a bit of a waste running both down. You can run just one down and make the other set of wires to power both plugs on the above outlet, but you just can't run 2 high amp drawing appliances off that outlet anymore. (You will also need to connect the two hot terminals on the countertop outlet because they were broken to create the 2x15A)

Dishwashers come with bare wire (at least mine did), so you may not need/want to make an outlet below, just use the wire twists and seal everything in an electrical box. I wanted it to look neat, so I created the outlet and bought a high quality plug to terminate the end of the wiring coming out of the dishwasher.
This space for rent
[OP]
Jul 4, 2005
443 posts
7 upvotes
pintobean wrote:
Jan 14th, 2010 1:26 pm
Wow that Ikea cabinet is EXACTLY what I need, but I must agree that $250 for it does seem over-priced!
[OP]
Jul 4, 2005
443 posts
7 upvotes
Mr Nobody wrote:
Jan 14th, 2010 1:34 pm
The above countertop outlets are typically on its own 2x15A circuit, one for each plug, so it was a bit of a waste running both down. You can run just one down and make the other set of wires to power both plugs on the above outlet, but you just can't run 2 high amp drawing appliances off that outlet anymore. (You will also need to connect the two hot terminals on the countertop outlet because they were broken to create the 2x15A)
I got one regular outlet (with 2 plugs) above the sink. Any way I can check if they are 15A circuits on their onw?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
6261 posts
244 upvotes
ao_tenshi wrote:
Jan 14th, 2010 1:54 pm
I got one regular outlet (with 2 plugs) above the sink. Any way I can check if they are 15A circuits on their onw?
Most should be standard now but if you go to your electrical panel and find the power source, it should say on there.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
4272 posts
64 upvotes
pintobean wrote:
Jan 14th, 2010 1:26 pm
Price is reflected in volume, its probably a low selling item.
× < >