Entertainment

Disney announced plans for a live-action Star Wars TV series and a new trilogy likely coming after 2020

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 8:24 pm
14 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2142 posts
590 upvotes
Global Village
Worked for CBS All Access with Star Trek Discovery, launching with a splashy new TV series should work for the new Disney streaming service as well.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1264 posts
188 upvotes
They have been talking about a tv show for so long, I hope they finally do one.
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1264 posts
188 upvotes
I think we all expected a new trilogy to follow episode 9. What I find interesting is that they're hiring Rian Johnson to oversee it. That tells me they're really happy with how The Last Jedi turned out and it's probably a really good movie. I'm very excited!
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3526 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
The Last Jedi must be amazing for Kathleen to hand Johnson the reign of a new trilogy. Hopefully, they'll delve into the Grey Jedi.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1186 posts
273 upvotes
The fans will be the judge next month on whether "The Last Jedi" is really that good for Lucasfilm to warrant hiring Rian Johnson to oversee the new SW trilogy. Maybe he's just like J.J. Abrams the safest choice for the future of the franchise. Ultimately being Kathleen Kennedy's perfect "YES MAN" catering to the big boss which is Disney.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10552 posts
575 upvotes
Scarborough
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:57 am
The fans will be the judge next month on whether "The Last Jedi" is really that good for Lucasfilm to warrant hiring Rian Johnson to oversee the new SW trilogy. Maybe he's just like J.J. Abrams the safest choice for the future of the franchise. Ultimately being Kathleen Kennedy's perfect "YES MAN" catering to the big boss which is Disney.
He's the only one who has 100% clicked with the Star Wars group. I will keep my expectations in check but I think he will deliver next month.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8711 posts
1845 upvotes
Toronto
The guy didn't get tenure so he can certainly be fired in the unlikely event the general audience rejects Last Jedi
Jun 5, 2017
127 posts
6 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:57 am
you mean the movie going audience will judge it, alot of star wars fans are being ignored by disney.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1264 posts
188 upvotes
brandonly wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 8:25 pm
you mean the movie going audience will judge it, alot of star wars fans are being ignored by disney.
Wait, how is Disney ignoring Star Wars fans? I'm one and I'm not feeling slighted. Am I missing something here?
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2142 posts
590 upvotes
Global Village
jenviea wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 6:13 pm
The guy didn't get tenure so he can certainly be fired in the unlikely event the general audience rejects Last Jedi
Or they will bring someone else at some point to make changes. Say what you will about Kathleen Kennedy's impatience with getting exactly what's expected from directors but it's worked so far, even Rogue One was very watchable for me. They have the benefit of my doubt.
Jan 11, 2012
80 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Lucas should have included a clause to limit the number of releases Disney can do within a time period, Disney is really milking this too much. On that subject, I have always said that the ending of VI was so good that I have a hard time accepting evil rising again after, just doesn't feel right.
Jun 5, 2017
127 posts
6 upvotes
Guelph, Ont
sharpshooter88 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:23 pm
Wait, how is Disney ignoring Star Wars fans? I'm one and I'm not feeling slighted. Am I missing something here?
yes you are missing something here. disney swooped in and bought star wars and it milking it quite nicely to maximum the amount of money they can make. the new canon they have created is a rather shotty one, one that appeals to a larger audience and not necessarily the hardcore, loyal fanbase who has been around a long time.

alot of fans want disney to focus more on the EU and they are not doing that. they cancelled the clone wars, cancelled the EU, including books being written at the time, cancelled 1313.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
1264 posts
188 upvotes
brandonly wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 7:50 pm
yes you are missing something here. disney swooped in and bought star wars and it milking it quite nicely to maximum the amount of money they can make. the new canon they have created is a rather shotty one, one that appeals to a larger audience and not necessarily the hardcore, loyal fanbase who has been around a long time.

alot of fans want disney to focus more on the EU and they are not doing that. they cancelled the clone wars, cancelled the EU, including books being written at the time, cancelled 1313.
I agree that episode 7 was more watered down to cater to the masses, but come on. They gave cancelled Clone Wars and gave us Rebels. They made EU non-canon but they brought some elements into canon like Thrawn and Rukh in Rebels. And let's call it what it was, not everything in EU was great. They're giving us more Star Wars movies and spin offs on the bug screen, taking it away from Lucas who nearly ruined Star Wars with the prequels.

You can't have it both ways. We fans complain that Disney's "milking' the franchise but we want more SW content. I'm so tired of hearing these complaints. I think we're living in a great time with so much good Star Wars content coming out.

Oh, and Ep6 was a fantastic ending? Great, stop watching Star Wars and leave on a high note. Let the rest of us enjoy the ongoing franchise.
Baaaaaaaaa!