Tags:
[OP]
Oct 27, 2013
221 posts
58 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

Disney Cruise - P Canaveral

Hi everyone.
In Sep 2019 my family (2 adults, 4 yr boy and 6 yr old girl) are going on a Disney cruise leaving from Port Canaveral. Contemplating arriving 2 days prior to departure. Don’t think Disney World is in our plans this time. Questions:
1. Where would you stay for 2 nights?
2. Orlando airport is an hour from port. How would you get there?
3. Is there anything non-Disney world to do?

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1609 posts
459 upvotes
GTA
I would probably stay near the port that way you're there and no worries, it should be nice weather and you could just do Daytona (a bit north) or closer to the Port and hit the beach. One option to get there is a one way car rental, rent it when you land and return it near the port. A lot of location near the port will shuttle you for free there or a cheap cab/uber. Otherwise there are lots of bus to the port. I would think you'll want a car so the one way car rental even with a drop fee is probably going to be a decent cost option and convenient.
Oct 6, 2008
111 posts
46 upvotes
Winnipeg
If you have a vehicle you could possibly visit the Disney Character Warehouse at the Orlando Premium Outlets. I haven't been before but I hear they have a lot of discounted Disney merchandise. Saves you a bit of money on souvenirs.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1012 posts
214 upvotes
Toronto
We rented a van and stayed in Orlando. The next day we drove to the port and dropped off the van there.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2007
2527 posts
352 upvotes
Whitby
We stayed at a Disney resort for 1 night. Rented a car and stayed in Cocoa Beach for a day.
Cocoa Beach is a nice "touristy" location.
All the car rental places have a shuttle to get to the boats at Port Canaveral.
It's pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove
Jan 14, 2017
322 posts
181 upvotes
newby1983 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 7:01 am
Hi everyone.
In Sep 2019 my family (2 adults, 4 yr boy and 6 yr old girl) are going on a Disney cruise leaving from Port Canaveral. Contemplating arriving 2 days prior to departure. Don’t think Disney World is in our plans this time. Questions:
1. Where would you stay for 2 nights?
2. Orlando airport is an hour from port. How would you get there?
3. Is there anything non-Disney world to do?

Thanks
We are heading to disney world and staying at Dolphin resort during the winter breaks (used marriott pt for our 5 night stay...itwas only 8000pt a night) then we are heading to disney cruise for 5 days. We booked a private transfer from Dophin resort to Disney cruise and we will be doing some outlet shopping.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8611 posts
6036 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Another vote for renting a car, especially so as there are 4 of you... and 2 are kids.
Great accommodations both in Orlando as well as out Cape Canaveral way
Opt to drop the car at the Port
So then you can easily get everyone and their gear to the Cruise Terminal easily

If you have a few days, and a car... there’s lots to see in the general area
Orlando... waaaay more than just Disney (Seaworld, Mini Golf, Water Parks Theme Restaurants etc)
Outlet Malls
Kennedy Space Centre @ Cape Canaveral = TOTALLY AWESOME
Cocoa Beach
Daytona Beach
Historic St Augustine

PS... if you opt to stay near the Port... do your research on Hotels (like Tripadvisor Reviews).
A lot of these “Beach Towns” have both good properties, and ones that can be run down... despite familiar names