Entertainment

Disney is launching its own streaming service.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 7:07 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2183 posts
609 upvotes
Global Village

Disney is launching its own streaming service.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... ce-1027793

Disney on Tuesday said it will be pulling its movies from Netflix and will launch a Disney streaming service of its own in 2019. It also said it will launch an ESPN streaming service early next year.
43 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2296 posts
153 upvotes
We complain about cable prices and the bundles but I am afraid the road ahead is not going to look much better than what we got if everyone decides to start a streaming service for 10 bucks or more.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7497 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
HammerJoe wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 8:51 pm
We complain about cable prices and the bundles but I am afraid the road ahead is not going to look much better than what we got if everyone decides to start a streaming service for 10 bucks or more.
That's how I feel. I don't think content companies got that. They assumed people are leaving cable because of the delivery system, when in reality it's the cost.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13943 posts
885 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 8:51 pm
That is exactly what everyone has been asking for though, to be able to pick and choose the channels they pay for.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1655 posts
490 upvotes
both Netflix and Disney went down 5%. Looks like the market doesn't like the impact on either company.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2296 posts
153 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 10:48 pm
That is exactly what everyone has been asking for though, to be able to pick and choose the channels they pay for.
But isnt that what we are experiencing right now but with channels? We all like to have ceetain channels but in order to get them we have to pay more because they are sparsed beween the bundles.
With streaming its not channels but shows, you want to watch Orange is the new black, catch it on Netflix, Game of Thrones? Subscribe to HBO, want sports subscribe to sportsnet (and this will probably be split into sport treamings like one service for hockey, another for basebal, etc), want to watch the big bang theory subscribe to cbs, want to watch vikings well you need history streaming service, etc, etc, etc...

We are already seeing this between Netflix, crave and Amazon.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13943 posts
885 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:18 pm
But isnt that what we are experiencing right now but with channels? We all like to have ceetain channels but in order to get them we have to pay more because they are sparsed beween the bundles.
With streaming its not channels but shows, you want to watch Orange is the new black, catch it on Netflix, Game of Thrones? Subscribe to HBO, want sports subscribe to sportsnet (and this will probably be split into sport treamings like one service for hockey, another for basebal, etc), want to watch the big bang theory subscribe to cbs, want to watch vikings well you need history streaming service, etc, etc, etc...

We are already seeing this between Netflix, crave and Amazon.
Replace streaming service with channel, for years people have wanted and asked for the providers to allow them to pick and choose channels a la carte. Instead of them doing it content providers are cutting out the middleman and having their own streaming services. You are not required to buy them all in a bundle, just the ones that interest you. I have no interest in Sports, Disney or Crave, I have netflix, if I could get HBO Go I would and I have considered Amazon prime.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26876 posts
6381 upvotes
GTHA
scoper wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 8:16 pm
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... ce-1027793

Disney on Tuesday said it will be pulling its movies from Netflix and will launch a Disney streaming service of its own in 2019. It also said it will launch an ESPN streaming service early next year.
Netflix said Disney movies will be available through the end of 2018 on its platform. Marvel TV shows will remain.

from https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/disney- ... vices.html
Penalty Box
Apr 8, 2013
7310 posts
241 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:27 pm
Replace streaming service with channel, for years people have wanted and asked for the providers to allow them to pick and choose channels a la carte. Instead of them doing it content providers are cutting out the middleman and having their own streaming services. You are not required to buy them all in a bundle, just the ones that interest you. I have no interest in Sports, Disney or Crave, I have netflix, if I could get HBO Go I would and I have considered Amazon prime.
Exactly. The way they do sports is totally shameless.

Just look at NBA. NBA league pass is far better than what rogers and bell provide. They dont show all the games in league pass and they are also responsible for blacking out the home games too. Some games are not even in HD!.

Cut the middleman out.

Netflix + Amazon = $20/month. It would cost the consumers arm and a leg if all the content there is only available on cable tv.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7497 posts
784 upvotes
Victoria
kevindurant1 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:07 am

Just look at NBA. NBA league pass is far better than what rogers and bell provide. They dont show all the games in league pass and they are also responsible for blacking out the home games too. Some games are not even in HD!.

Cut the middleman out.

Netflix + Amazon = $20/month. It would cost the consumers arm and a leg if all the content there is only available on cable tv.
I think the argument is that more and more content creators are trying to start up their own streaming services. This means it will be harder and harder for both Netflix and Amazon to license other peoples content (which is one of the reasons content dissapears from netflix). If this trend continues then eventually you would need to buy more subs to make up for the missing content.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2003
9996 posts
375 upvotes
Moncton, NB
You know the 1 place where all these shows remain available- torrents.

All these stupid moves will drive piracy numbers through the roof. I already pay for Netflix and TMN/HBO, how many more of these services do they expect me to pay for??
KitKat item collector- always looking for swag or branded items.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3976 posts
1142 upvotes
zod wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 9:43 pm
That's how I feel. I don't think content companies got that. They assumed people are leaving cable because of the delivery system, when in reality it's the cost.
People want the same amount of high quality TV productions and movies they get today at, say $10 a month with no advertisements.

To expect the same amount of content at 1/10 the direct cost with no advertisements is just not possible.

There is a reason why Netflix has as many comedy specials, shows and movies as they do. They are extremely cheap to make.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3976 posts
1142 upvotes
Remember, with conventional television, advertising makes up close to - if not more than - 30% of the run time.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3206 posts
640 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:07 am

Cut the middleman out.

However, the NBA did just start on massive television deals (so big in fact that it dramatically changed the salary cap)... and our own sports teams in Toronto are co-owned by Rogers and Bell, so they have a lot of control over why cable tv gets so much precedence. It sucks because more and more of my TV watching is relegated to sports or subscription stuff like HBO, and while I'm trying to do the right thing by not just pirating, they don't make it easy (or reasonably priced) to do it.
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE