Entertainment

Disney is launching its own streaming service.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2017 9:10 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14302 posts
864 upvotes
Markham
Feneant wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 6:25 am
You know the 1 place where all these shows remain available- torrents.

All these stupid moves will drive piracy numbers through the roof. I already pay for Netflix and TMN/HBO, how many more of these services do they expect me to pay for??
This. Not liking the future trends of fragmented streaming services. I won't be subbing to 5 different services for content I want. It'll cost the same as cable TV at that point.
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3146 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
Feneant wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 6:25 am
You know the 1 place where all these shows remain available- torrents.

All these stupid moves will drive piracy numbers through the roof. I already pay for Netflix and TMN/HBO, how many more of these services do they expect me to pay for??
Wait, can you subscribe to TMN/HBO without a cable subscription?
XBox Live: M1GO | PSN: CURRENTLY INACTIVE
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:42 pm
Wait, can you subscribe to TMN/HBO without a cable subscription?
Reading the small print at the bottom steers me to believe that you must be either a Bell/Rogers/etc customer in order to qualify to have HBO/TMN in your home (legally)
Source: http://www.themovienetwork.ca/tmngo
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 11:40 pm
Netflix’s Disney film loss won’t impact Canada and other international markets
https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/08/09/netf ... vice-2019/
I suspect that by 2020 Disney will simply buy Netflix (USA) and restore things back to the way they are now. (in the States)
Minor adjustments might include a boost in Disney content and/or a cut back in Netflix content.

If I'm wrong about Netflix being sold (to anyone, even sooner than 2020) than I'm a bit surprised because I don't think the future includes
people willing to spend spend spend on (How many?) all the different options outside of just Netflix itself...

It will be interesting to see what Netflix Canada does down the road. As they maintain rights to Disney content that makes them different from Netflix USA. (ie stops people in Canada from using American accounts, maybe?)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7096 posts
221 upvotes
zod wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 1:24 am
I think the argument is that more and more content creators are trying to start up their own streaming services. This means it will be harder and harder for both Netflix and Amazon to license other peoples content (which is one of the reasons content dissapears from netflix). If this trend continues then eventually you would need to buy more subs to make up for the missing content.
That is not a bad thing. Its actually a good thing.

At the end of the day. Competition is good. More choices is good. We cant just have Netflix/Amazon.

Just look at Rogers/Bell. They controlled what we bought. It would be great if we have multiple streaming services in the future. Prices will more likely be low and to get you to subscribe they will have to give you some quality content.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 1:38 am
At the end of the day. Competition is good. More choices is good. We cant just have Netflix/Amazon.
Yeah, I know. I miss Shomi. In fact, I wish I could have Netflix or Amazon on my Rogers digital box.
I wouldn't have to pay for unlimited internet. The box did not count as data usage. (Shomi was on channel 300 as well as being a streaming service for other devices besides just the TV)
Aug 9, 2017
4 posts
wOw that had be great. But it would be paid streaming service. Huff definitely gonna miss the opportunity.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3146 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 1:56 am
Yeah, I know. I miss Shomi. In fact, I wish I could have Netflix or Amazon on my Rogers digital box.
I wouldn't have to pay for unlimited internet. The box did not count as data usage. (Shomi was on channel 300 as well as being a streaming service for other devices besides just the TV)
My Brother in law has Bell, and his Fibe TV box also has Netflix on it, IIRC...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11081 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
M1GOmigs wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 9:09 am
My Brother in law has Bell, and his Fibe TV box also has Netflix on it, IIRC...
That's why bell has unlimited internet IIRC, you're still streaming, not using a data free Rogers box...like I said, I miss not having to pay for internet to access this stuff.
(I mean, I have internet, I just miss not having to pay the extra $10 for Rogers unlimited because channel 300 did not require any data at all)
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3146 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 9:46 am
That's why bell has unlimited internet IIRC, you're still streaming, not using a data free Rogers box...like I said, I miss not having to pay for internet to access this stuff.
(I mean, I have internet, I just miss not having to pay the extra $10 for Rogers unlimited because channel 300 did not require any data at all)
Ah ok, I wasn't sure if it was included in his data usage or waived because it was done through the Fibe digital box...
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25657 posts
5836 upvotes
GTHA
According to Reuters, Netflix is in “active discussions” with the Walt Disney Company regarding potentially keeping Marvel and Star Wars content on the streaming platform in the U.S., once Disney pulls its content in 2019.

Read more at http://ca.reuters.com/article/technolog ... R0V0-OCATC
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2258 posts
149 upvotes
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/netflix ... -1.4240742

"And the past week alone has seen three big developments in the streaming industry, starting with CBS's decision to take its own streaming service known as All Access around the world, including Canada, starting next year.

Launched in 2014, CBS offers the entire back catalogue of hit CBS comedies and procedural dramas — along with premium Showtime content plus a 24/7 news channel — for $5.99 US a month, or $9.99 for a version with no commercials. The service has grown quickly, now boasting more than 4 million customers in the U.S. and on track to double that by 2020, CBS said in announcing the move."

Heres our future folks like I said in my previous comment. We are at the beginning of the wave and it will get worse once everyone starts to get onboard with their streaming services.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2258 posts
149 upvotes
Facing higher costs and surging competition is tricky, which might be why Netflix has just announced a price hike for Canadians. The basic plan with no high-definition viewing and one screen goes up $1 to $8.99 a month starting now for new members. HD viewing on two screens will now cost $10.99 a month and the deluxe edition with four simultaneous streams in ultra-high definition goes up to $13.99.

Hoe come I have not heard anything about this??
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25657 posts
5836 upvotes
GTHA
ABC Studios (the television production unit of ABC Entertainment Group, part of Disney) loses a 'prolific producer' talent to Netflix...

Shonda Rhimes Moves to Netflix From ABC With Huge Overall Deal
The prolific showrunner behind 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Scandal' and more has left her longtime home at ABC Studios for the streaming giant.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... al-1029142