Entertainment

Disney is launching its own streaming service.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 7:07 pm
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13922 posts
884 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 4:10 pm
Heres our future folks like I said in my previous comment. We are at the beginning of the wave and it will get worse once everyone starts to get onboard with their streaming services.
And again, as per my previous comment, besides the delivery method, this is literally what consumers have been asking for, channels (streaming services = channels) a la carte. You're not forced to pay for services you don't want or don't use and you can choose which services you buy.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2279 posts
151 upvotes
Ojam wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 7:26 pm
And again, as per my previous comment, besides the delivery method, this is literally what consumers have been asking for, channels (streaming services = channels) a la carte. You're not forced to pay for services you don't want or don't use and you can choose which services you buy.
Sure but are you prepared to pay 10bucks (or more) per streaming service (or channel)?
Penalty Box
Apr 8, 2013
7203 posts
237 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 9:31 pm
Sure but are you prepared to pay 10bucks (or more) per streaming service (or channel)?
Actually yes. Let us use this example.

CBS catalogue, Live news + Showtime = $10

To get that same thing from rogers you will have to pay for their "skinny" service. That is $25 + the super channel. I think its $10.

The CBS one will have all their shows with no ads. You want ads its $6. No need to DVR. Shows available online might not be available on CBS cable because there is only 1 stream going at a time.

$35 VS $6.
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2149 posts
591 upvotes
Global Village
Disney should combine all the Disney content with all the ESPN content plus ABC shows under 1 new streaming service. It will be a must-have and a better competitor to Netflix.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
13922 posts
884 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 9:31 pm
I have no need to pay for all of them, I could be tempted to get what I want, I'd say if I could get it I'd pay for Netflix, HBO and maybe showtime.
scoper wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 11:21 pm
Disney should combine all the Disney content with all the ESPN content plus ABC shows under 1 new streaming service. It will be a must-have and a better competitor to Netflix.
That's called a bundle, and as amazing as it is there are lots of people who just do not care about sports or even basic cable. I could be tempted by Disney (but probably not) but I definitly 100% would not be interested in the other 2, which is why bundles suck.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Oct 27, 2016
184 posts
33 upvotes
I thought they are going to launch this year. 2019 too long.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2149 posts
591 upvotes
Global Village
What else can Netflix say? if they say "we are worried we may lose 10-20% of our customers to Disney" their stock would take a big hit.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26255 posts
6081 upvotes
GTHA
scoper wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 11:21 pm
Disney intends to launch a separate streaming service for ESPN in 2018.

from https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/09/disney- ... -2017.html

The Walt Disney Company share gained after the company said it plans to price its streaming service "substantially below" that of Netflix.

The company said, however, that its service will be cheaper because it will initially have a smaller library than what the streaming giant offers. Disney said its goal is to attract as many subscribers as possible when it launches the service.

The price tag would be adjusted over time to mirror the volume of content that is added to the service, Disney said during its earnings call.

As part of a strategic shift, Disney will no longer stream its movies on Netflix starting in 2019 and instead offer them on a new streaming service of its own. The company also intends to launch a separate streaming service for ESPN in 2018.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7462 posts
775 upvotes
Victoria
It would be a big hit it Netflix lost the Marvel shows. It's the majority of original content that I subscribe for. If they lost it, I'd probably go back to only subbing in months there was something I wanted to watch.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
16689 posts
378 upvotes
Late 2019? That's 2 years away... Little late to the party wow.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Super strokey wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 12:06 pm
Late 2019? That's 2 years away... Little late to the party wow.
Just in time for them to bulk up library and it'll be end of their licensing deal with Netflix and Disney has ESPN and actual tv network to complement

Netflix is going to be in trouble and they know it which is why they're throwing everything at the wall and hoping some stick.