• Sep 19th, 2018 5:30 am
Penalty Box
Dec 7, 2012
31666 posts
8079 upvotes
GTHA
scoper wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 11:21 pm
Disney should combine all the Disney content with all the ESPN content plus ABC shows under 1 new streaming service. It will be a must-have and a better competitor to Netflix.
ESPN's $5-a-Month Online Service Is Bob Iger's Bet on the Future
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... the-future

For that, ESPN+ customers will get thousands of live events annually, including pro baseball, hockey and soccer, as well as tennis, boxing, golf and college sports not available on ESPN’s traditional TV networks. The service will debut along with a new, streamlined version of the ESPN app, which will include greater levels of customization. Fans will not only be able to indicate their favorite teams, they’ll get stories and other content that match their viewing history.
Penalty Box
Dec 7, 2012
31666 posts
8079 upvotes
GTHA
zod wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 10:52 am
It would be a big hit it Netflix lost the Marvel shows. It's the majority of original content that I subscribe for. If they lost it, I'd probably go back to only subbing in months there was something I wanted to watch.
Netflix Marvel projects will continue to stay on Netflix
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17007 posts
411 upvotes
If they bring the back catalogue with it im in 100%. Disney afternoon, Earth Star Voyager, and the Apple Dumpling Gang 4 Lyfe lol.

Seriously though, back catalogue and im in 100%.
Penalty Box
Dec 7, 2012
31666 posts
8079 upvotes
GTHA
A big step in Disney’s streaming future...

ESPN+ will launch on April 12th for $4.99 per month
https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/2/17188 ... es-content
ESPN+ is being pitched as a major component of Disney’s direct-to-consumer streaming future. It arrives ahead of Disney’s own subscription service (set to debut in 2019), and the company is also expected to take majority ownership of Hulu when its colossal deal with Fox closes. Both ESPN+ and the Disney-branded service are by BAMTech, the streaming division that Disney bought a majority stake in last year.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5074 posts
1676 upvotes
Kingston, ON
scoper wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 2:00 pm
$5 a month seems reasonable but no NBA content makes this a pass for me.
ESPN is a US-channel. This service is likely geolocked to the US anyway.

Gotta say though $4.99 is a lot less than Rogers' SportsNet Now ($25/mo).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8046 posts
920 upvotes
Victoria
Mike15 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2018 5:52 pm
ESPN is a US-channel. This service is likely geolocked to the US anyway.

Gotta say though $4.99 is a lot less than Rogers' SportsNet Now ($25/mo).
I think ESPN+ is leffovers. IE stuff they don't wait on the regular ESPN channels you get on cable. I don't think it's actually ESPN for 4.99?

and yah sportsnet/tsn charge way too much for streaming only. My basic cable sub that includes both sports channels is $30 a month, and a single stream is $30/month :(
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
5074 posts
1676 upvotes
Kingston, ON
zod wrote:
Apr 4th, 2018 1:30 am
I think ESPN+ is leffovers. IE stuff they don't wait on the regular ESPN channels you get on cable. I don't think it's actually ESPN for 4.99?

and yah sportsnet/tsn charge way too much for streaming only. My basic cable sub that includes both sports channels is $30 a month, and a single stream is $30/month :(
It doesn't give you everything on the main ESPN channel (exclusions with certain leagues with their own streaming rights) but it sounded like a good amount of things for the money.
Subscribers will get one free MLB game each day. MLB.TV is available as an add-on for $24.99 per month. The same goes for the NHL: hockey fans can stream a free game each day during the 2018–2019 regular season and choose to add the full NHL.TV package to their ESPN+ subscription.

But if you’re a big fan of the major US professional sports leagues, ESPN+ still isn’t much of a replacement for cable and the traditional ESPN channels. In the most damning show of that, live NFL games are absent from the service altogether. You won’t find any Monday Night Football here.
So at least two of the big leagues will let you watch your favourite team each time they play, which is probably all a lot of people want. The other big draw is the college sports, which not a lot of Canadians care about but it is big in the US.