Tags:
Nov 27, 2002
243 posts
7 upvotes
Great White North

Disney Movie Club - 6 for $20, 3 commitment

This seemed like a good deal to me.

Promotion Code 11474

5 for $2 (+ GST), 6th for $14.95 that counts towards commitment. Leaving 3 at regular club prices over the next 2 years.

By my math:

($2+$14.95+ 3*$30)/9 = $11.88 per disc.

Blu-ray are available once you join, but not for the freebies.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
2822 posts
520 upvotes
GodBlessU wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2010 1:24 pm
is this deal dvd or blu ray?
OP wrote:Blu-ray are available once you join, but not for the freebies.
;)
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2008
1259 posts
77 upvotes
i know thats english, but not even i understood that. most confusing sentance ever.

blueray once u join but not for the freebies? what?!?!
Mar 5, 2006
379 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
I got this in the mail as well, but after reading all the fine prints, it feels very iffy.
#1 if you want in on it, you'll pretty much HAVE to get 9 dvds at around $10 each, it is cheap, but you must find 9 titles you want to get. If you do have 9 that you do want to get, then sure, else you're left with somewhat forced to getting some crap.
#2 what the membership involves also doesn't seem very clear. from the bits and pieces I gathered, you get this thing from the mail every month, and sometimes 1/2 more extra ones during the year (so around 13-14 mail from them a year). In this mail, will be their "featured" movie, which you have I think a week and a bit to reply to them saying you want or not want it. I read again and again, it seems to imply that if you do not reply to it (ignore the mail), they'll assume you want it and send it to you and charging your visa.
So that means every month, you need to tell reply to them saying no i don't want this month's crap.

BUT you could cancel out of the membership anytime after satifying buying all those movies. So what that means is, if you have 9 movies from disney that you want to get all right now, you can get them all now, then cancel the membership right away to avoid the hassle.

At the end, I couldn't dig up 9 titles that I want, perhaps later when there's more Ghibli movies availible, then I'll do it.

Just my 2 cents.
Correct me if I read something wrong from their site.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2002
243 posts
7 upvotes
Great White North
chandans wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2010 1:54 pm
i know thats english, but not even i understood that. most confusing sentance ever.

blueray once u join but not for the freebies? what?!?!
Actually, I wrote:
"Blu-ray are available once you join, but not for the freebies."

Let me try to break it down for you.

"Blu-ray" is a disk format.
"are available" means that are offered for purchase.
"once" is an indication of time, qualifying the availability just mentioned.
"you" is the person reading the post. You may pretend I wrote "u", if it confuses you less.
"join," is the subject of the qualification.
"but not for the freebies." indicates that the afore mentioned Blu-ray disks, can not be selected for your enrolment selections.

You may have also been confused by the proper use of capitalization and punctuation.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2002
243 posts
7 upvotes
Great White North
jasonchewy wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2010 2:10 pm
I got this in the mail as well, but after reading all the fine prints, it feels very iffy.
#1 if you want in on it, you'll pretty much HAVE to get 9 dvds at around $10 each, it is cheap, but you must find 9 titles you want to get. If you do have 9 that you do want to get, then sure, else you're left with somewhat forced to getting some crap.
#2 what the membership involves also doesn't seem very clear. from the bits and pieces I gathered, you get this thing from the mail every month, and sometimes 1/2 more extra ones during the year (so around 13-14 mail from them a year). In this mail, will be their "featured" movie, which you have I think a week and a bit to reply to them saying you want or not want it. I read again and again, it seems to imply that if you do not reply to it (ignore the mail), they'll assume you want it and send it to you and charging your visa.
So that means every month, you need to tell reply to them saying no i don't want this month's crap.

BUT you could cancel out of the membership anytime after satifying buying all those movies. So what that means is, if you have 9 movies from disney that you want to get all right now, you can get them all now, then cancel the membership right away to avoid the hassle.

At the end, I couldn't dig up 9 titles that I want, perhaps later when there's more Ghibli movies availible, then I'll do it.

Just my 2 cents.
Correct me if I read something wrong from their site.
I think you have it about right. Note though that they have quite a lot available online (more then in the mailing). Make sure you change the categories on the left, or you won't see a third of them. I missed that the first time I looked into it.

Also, I have read that once you join, there are even more choices. So hopefully the 3 commitment purchases, will be for titles that are very difficult to find on sale.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2008
2453 posts
12528 upvotes
Mississauga
Gibber wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2010 2:44 pm
You may have also been confused by the proper use of capitalization and punctuation.
LOL. :D FWIW, I did find your original post more comprehensible than that reply you got. ;)

How about a link, though? Right now I can't tell if you just google "Disney Movie Club (Canada)" and find a place to punch in that promo code, or if you have to (again) google their phone number and speak with a rep.

It's a better deal than their regular offer which, as I recall, nets fewer cheap discs while requiring you to purchase more regular priced ones. As mentioned, it helps that you'll eventually get access to their Miyazaki and blu-ray catalogue. Otherwise I agree it would probably be difficult to find nine titles if you've bought any Disney films (re: the good ones) at all.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2703 posts
296 upvotes
Gibber wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2010 2:44 pm
Actually, I wrote:
"Blu-ray are available once you join, but not for the freebies."

Let me try to break it down for you.

"Blu-ray" is a disk format.
"are available" means that are offered for purchase.
"once" is an indication of time, qualifying the availability just mentioned.
"you" is the person reading the post. You may pretend I wrote "u", if it confuses you less.
"join," is the subject of the qualification.
"but not for the freebies." indicates that the afore mentioned Blu-ray disks, can not be selected for your enrolment selections.

You missed the reason your sentence is confusing. There are no freebies. You are paying for the initial DVDs you get.
Your sentence was stupidly worded.
I repeat, there are no freebies.

That is why it is confusing.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4667 posts
97 upvotes
GTA
komal wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2010 2:56 pm
You missed the reason your sentence is confusing. There are no freebies. You are paying for the initial DVDs you get.
Your sentence was stupidly worded.
I repeat, there are no freebies.

That is why it is confusing.
You couldn't make that quantum leap of logic to realize he was referring to the 6 for $20 selections?

I received something in the mail from them, I thought there was provision to buy TWO extras, first $9.99 and second for $7.99. I'll have to see if I took out the recycle or not on that.
Rock it.
[OP]
Nov 27, 2002
243 posts
7 upvotes
Great White North
need2save wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2010 2:55 pm
How about a link, though? Right now I can't tell if you just google "Disney Movie Club (Canada)" and find a place to punch in that promo code, or if you have to (again) google their phone number and speak with a rep.
Sorry. If you go to http://www.disneymovieclub.ca/ the first thing it asks (before you can browse) is the promo code. The code gets you basically an extra free disk, and one less commitment over the default, IIRC.

Also, yes, you can get a 7th for $9.95, technically reducing the price a bit further.
Oct 4, 2009
104 posts
16 upvotes
Coquitlam
You could always get the DVDs through the Disney Movie Club and then use the Disney Blu-Ray upgrade center to get the same disc in Blu-Ray.

The advantage of this is that you can then give the DVDs to your kids to trash and still keep the BD for your movie collection.

Just my 2cents.
Mar 5, 2006
379 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
Penny_Pincher wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2010 4:15 pm
You could always get the DVDs through the Disney Movie Club and then use the Disney Blu-Ray upgrade center to get the same disc in Blu-Ray.

The advantage of this is that you can then give the DVDs to your kids to trash and still keep the BD for your movie collection.

Just my 2cents.
Just looked up this program you refered to, doesn't look like you GET the blu-ray...from the DVD you get a $8 coupon towards the buying of that bluray version of the movie from retailers....so that's $8 off the retail price for those movies which will be like $25...so still need to pay some $$ to get the blu-ray...

Edit: Here's the link to this upgrade program:
https://disneyupgradetoblu.com/blu_ray/index.html
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2008
2453 posts
12528 upvotes
Mississauga
Penny_Pincher wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2010 4:15 pm

Just my 2cents.
Although I haven't done the math, I suspect that would pretty much negate the savings, no? Unless there's a new offer where you can upgrade your existing DVD to a blu ray for a few bucks. The one I'm thinking of is where you mail in your POP tab in exchange for a $8 rebate coupon... so already you've vandalized your covers and are out the postage, with no guarantee which retailers will take the coupon. Plus most of Disney's newer blu rays, besides being ridiculously expensive, already include the DVD as a 2nd or 3rd disc in the set.
× < >