• Sep 19th, 2017 10:39 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2003
2013 posts
42 upvotes

Disney ... Orlando

So barring a relapse with Jose or Katie, we will be heading down with a bunch of under 10 to Orlando in two weeks. I'll look into the forum, but are there any outstanding packages that can get into the parks at a more reasonable rate? For example, just one family and park hopping 4 days at Disney is around $1300 (!!). The usual will already apply (bring water and sandwiches) but otherwise?

Thanks!
28 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
6697 posts
1323 upvotes
Toronto
Instead of buying tickets directly from Disney, search around for better prices. Years ago we bought 10-day tickets for our family, while our kids were small. Of course we didn't use up 10 days. After kids grew older, they can still use those kids tickets that were bought many years ago.

Yes you can save a lot by bringing your own food and drinks.

We also went to Universal studios, and one day to Kennedy Space Center.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2396 posts
393 upvotes
Try https://www.mousesavers.com/

Also, various promos like free dining [only good if eat plenty] and there was a promo for Canadians for like 20-25% off. Check Disney site.

Sure others will chime in with tips.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1420 posts
112 upvotes
St. Johns
I go to Disney almost every year and I rarely get park hopper. Any particular reason why you are getting it?

Try undercover tourist for slightly cheaper tickets. Won't be earth shattering but every bit helps.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1007 posts
529 upvotes
Disney prides itself on RARELY BEING CLOSED

And so it is in the Aftermath of Hurricane Irma.

By all accounts Hotels in the area weathered the storm well... But that does not necessarily mean that Disney will be 100%. Pictures are few & far between right now (am yet to see any fly over video) .. As the locals have bigger things to worry about... Like getting out of a shelter - electricity - food & water - gasoline than worry about a "Fantasy" Park for Tourists.

Orlando had some flooding... And with all those lakes in this low lying park, I assume there are issues.

My best advice... POSTPONE (hope you have bought Cancellation Insurance)

Then you'll truly be able to enjoy the park at its best & get your money's worth after Florida gets back on its feet
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2003
2013 posts
42 upvotes
Thank you, I'm going through the replies now. No, not partial to the park hopper -- but this is my first stop so unsure of what's out there.

Hello RFD!

As for cancelling the trip, this piggybacks on the Microsoft Ignite conference so if they're on, I'm there. I do hear you about not being running 100% though and it's a gray area.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1420 posts
112 upvotes
St. Johns
Skip park hopper if you intend to do 1 park each day. Each park has a major show in the evening so 1 park per day is a good guideline for first time visitor. Magic Kingdom will be tough to see in 1 day but you can certainly do all of the major attractions.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2003
2013 posts
42 upvotes
Thanks, any strategies for parking? Such as leveraging some shuttles. The concern is will we likely wait a long time to shuttle end of day after a big show, perhaps?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3053 posts
213 upvotes
London, EU
Heavenly Father
Where will I go on my mission?
Will it be China
Or Old Mexico on my mission?

It could be San Fran by the bay
Australia where they say, "g'day"
But I pray I'm sent to my favorite place...

Orlando
I love you, Orlando
Sea World
and Disney
and Putt-Putt Golfing
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1420 posts
112 upvotes
St. Johns
Qube wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 6:30 pm
Thanks, any strategies for parking? Such as leveraging some shuttles. The concern is will we likely wait a long time to shuttle end of day after a big show, perhaps?
If you are renting a car and staying at a Disney Resort, parking at the parks is free ($20 USD parking per day if you are not staying at a Disney Resort). I always rent a car when in Florida because its usually pretty cheap and driving and parking at Disney is VERY easy.

If you are staying at Disney resort and not getting a rental car, than transportation varies based on which resort you are heading to after your day at the park. They will have tons of buses coming and going from the park and usually wait times aren't too bad after the park closes. Also depending on the park you are visiting and your resort, you may even be able to walk back after you are finished for the night. I know non-disney hotels offer shuttles but I've never stayed off site so I cannot comment on how long the wait times are.

check out this site for some decent tips and info
Last edited by RyanS219 on Sep 14th, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1007 posts
529 upvotes
Qube wrote:
Disney is the GOLD STANDARD when it comes to moving people along in lines etc.

Shuttles run constantly... One comes, one goes, another one shows up / is waiting to fill

And so it is for everything in the park in regards to transportation. I won't say that waiting time doesn't exist, but we've never found it to be a huge issue.

For actual in the park, ride wait times, which can be longer for sure the secret there are FastPasses... You can find out more about them on the WDW Website, as well as tips on how to make the most of them on websites such as Undercover Tourist
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3289 posts
1249 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Qube wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 3:15 pm
Thank you, I'm going through the replies now. No, not partial to the park hopper -- but this is my first stop so unsure of what's out there.

Hello RFD!

As for cancelling the trip, this piggybacks on the Microsoft Ignite conference so if they're on, I'm there. I do hear you about not being running 100% though and it's a gray area.
Don't bother with the hopper for Disneyworld IMO. Disneyland California it is worth it since they are right across from each other, but it would waste a lot of your day at Disneyworld. I've never used hoppers there. Not too many ways to get in for cheaper I don't think. Tickets are expensive! We are going in November.
Apr 22, 2007
242 posts
35 upvotes
I second no park hoppers if you have time to do a park a day. The parks aren't exactly close to each other, waste of time travelling between parks. And like another poster said there are nighttime shows you probably want to stick around for.

I've done driving and also Disney transportation between resorts. Driving is way better if you leave at park close. Last time I left Magic Kingdom at the closing time, the wait time for shuttle back to Art of Animation resort was almost an hour. At the end of the day when you are so tired from walking so much, the wait seems much longer than it is. Also you might just be left with standing room since the buses are packed at that time, then will need walk from the bus station to your room (most of their resorts are pretty big and have rooms far away from the bus stops..).
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1420 posts
112 upvotes
St. Johns
Taxi's are cheap so it might be worth it to grab one at the end of a night if you plan on using Disney transportation
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1007 posts
529 upvotes
Qube wrote:
I see that @lengmui and I replied / read your post differently, from 2 different perspectives.

I referred to the Parking Lot Shuttles (so you were self driving from wherever your Hotel was... )

While he read it from POV of your staying at a Disney Resort.

Got me curious now... WHERE are you actually staying ... at Disney, or outside the Park ?