Disneyworld Orlando

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2013 8:32 am
Tags:
None
Jun 13, 2009
84 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks, Thanks again for sharing your experience.
1JailRN wrote:
Nov 16th, 2012 11:54 am
Dawgbone and Webworm are correct in their advice.
You will love Disney World if you have never been! Our family has gone every year during March Break for the past 15 years. We have done both onsite and offsite trips. We have flown out of Detroit or drove ourselves depending on how much time we had.

If you have never been - then for the first trip, I would suggest staying on site at one of the many resorts. There is currently a "Stay, Play & dine Offer" - book online through the Disney website, which is good from early Jan to early March. This includes your hotel room, park passes and two meals per day including one snack. We booked this promotion a few years ago and couldn't believe all the food in the plan and couldn't use it all. To use it up, we ended up grabbing take out personal pizzas for our flight home as well as a bag full of snacks. Staying onsite gives you absolutely everything you need and you do not need to rent a car. When you fly to Orlando, Disney will arrange transportation of you and your luggage directly to the Resort and then back to the airport. This means when you arrive in Orlando, you go directly to the Disney bus to the resort and the bags you checked in at the airport that you fly out of will arrive magically in your hotel room. Disney has it's own transportation system that takes you all over Disney as it is over 47 square miles! It's huge! It's really amazing how big the property is and nothing like Canada's Wonderland.

How many people are going and how many kids are under the age of 9? This will affect your costs staying at a Disney resort.

There are 24 themed resorts at various price levels and all are creatively themed. Depending on your hotel needs and expectations and the age and number of kids. The Value Resorts are the cheapest, clean and comfortable for the money they charge. We liked Pop Century the most when our kids were younger and willing to share a double bed together. If you want a little more of a grander hotel atmosphere, then check out the moderate or deluxe resorts. All the resorts offer a cafeteria with a variety of food options and most offer sit down restaurants. All 4 theme parks, water parks and Downtown Disney have a huge assortment of sit down restaurants and quick service options. You can get anywhere on Disney property using their transportation system of the bus, boat or monorail and it cost no extra. It's all included in your package. Staying onsite gives you the advantage of getting into the parks earlier or stay later than the general public on certain days. You can really make time getting on those rides that have long lines during the day.

Alot of people think that when you book a 7 day hotel package that you have to get the 7 day park passes and hit the parks everyday and then come home totally pooped. I was one of those people when our kids were little, but way back then, we were able to get 7 day hopper park passess at par (when we were paying $1.60 CDN for $1 US) and had to use them or lose them! LOL Personally, you pay good money to stay at the resort and you need a day or two to enjoy the facilities and pool. You are able to choose the 3,4,5 or 6 day park option and perhaps even spend a day at one of the water parks.

Now, if you want a more relaxing holiday and just want to go to the park for a couple days and then relax by the pool, do a little shopping, check out Gatorland etc. Then rent a house offsite and you'll definitely need a car. Depending on what and where you rent, this is the cheapest way to go. You will have the amenities of a fully equipped home with a private pool and depending on where the home/villa is, there may be resort facilities such as a big pool, playgrounds etc. Especially if you have little kids, they have their own rooms and it's nice to relax in the evening by the pool and not worry about waking them up when you share a hotel room with 2 beds. Also, if someone gets ill with a cold or gastro bug (been there a time or 2), it is so nice to have that extra house space to recover - it's more like home. If you are willing to make a few of your own meals and eat breakfast in and enjoy some beverages at your own private pool, then this saves money and time going to restaurants. A few resorts to check out are Windsor Hills, Windsor Palms, Reunion, Emerald Island - these are all within 10-15 min. easy drive to the parks. There are 4-6 bedroom homes or 2-3 bedroom condos in these resorts. You can find cheaper villas further out, but will no have the top notch resort facilities. I wouldn't bother paying the cost of a hotel room that claims they are close to Disney as you can easily rent a villa for close to the same amount and have a kitchen and alot of personal space. The Bonnet Creek resort is another good spot that is right at the property line of Disney - can't get much closer and they are all condos - gorgeous resort! I believe parking at any of the Disney parks is $14 per day now. There is no charge to park at Downtown Disney.

Many people also don't realize that if you stay off-site, you can still go and make a reservation to eat at the restaurants at any of the resorts without paying for parking or the need of a park pass. So, you can drive to Disney's Contemporary hotel, tell security you are eating at Chef Mickey's and park for free, go eat and then walk out to the back of the hotel and watch the fireworks from Magic Kingdom and enjoy the Seven Seas Lagoon water parade go by. Another night, you can go Downtown Disney and check out the shops, go for a boat ride to the Port Orleans resort, grab a bite and then watch some entertainment. Checking out the Boardwalk with their buskers, grab a bite at the ESPN bar and top it off with Ice cream at Beaches and Cream is always a favourite of ours. It makes for a really economical evening out that is all Disney!

Anyhow, If you didn't already know, I love Disney and love to share the tips and tricks that we have learned to save our money when we go. So, please ask away any more questions.

It's your holiday and your money and you want to make the best of it. Seriously, you just can't go wrong with a Disney trip!
Apr 27, 2012
6 posts
8 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Glad to be of help.

We are quite a bunch of Disney Nuts in our household and love travelling to Disney and just about anywhere! My husband and I have always laughed that he'll drive the monorail and I'll be a Disney Nurse when we retire some day. Until then, we'll keep dreaming and planning for our next holiday.

Always happy to answer any questions!
Apr 23, 2004
976 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
did the disney thing january 2012, they had the stay and dine deal and it was amazing people that say just go to the park and find a place cheap outside of disney dont know what there talking about. if you want the disney experience stay in the disney resort. i looked briefly and they have the deals going on again but there are certain dates for them
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
161 upvotes
gstylez wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 8:28 am
if you want the disney experience stay in the disney resort.
This.

(Unless you're flat broke - in which case you shouldn't be wasting money on Disney in the first place.)
Jun 9, 2005
6983 posts
257 upvotes
Scarborough
Also start researching and booking restaurants as well - especially if you want to experience some of the character dining experiences with your kids. They are not cheap and you are really just paying for the few seconds you will have with a character, but it may be worth it to do that as oppose to having to figure out when/where the characters would be and then line up for them. Even some non-character dining restaurants gets booked up early (my favourite - O'Hana) so it may be worth booking a couple of meals in advanced.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4928 posts
708 upvotes
Maple
Planning to go in Feb 2013 for 2 adults + 2 kids. Mostly likely will book the current Disney's promotion (Stay, Play and Dine). Also looking for fly deal in Feb 21013 for this.
Jun 20, 2008
26 posts
1 upvote
I would like to order tickets at undercover tourists. However, I can get cheaper tickets at reserveorlando.com if I use paypal (5% return).

Undercover tourists: Famous, lot of ppl recommends and it will send actual tickets to my home address.
Reserveorlando: Not many review in internet and it only issues e-ticket and I need to redeem it at Will Call Center. However, 5% payback from paypal is so tempting. Also, I need to checkout 1 ticket at a time in order to get 5% payback (as paypal had $20 ceilling for each payback)

Please advise which one should I choose. Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6609 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto
BCCL wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 12:03 pm
I would like to order tickets at undercover tourists. However, I can get cheaper tickets at reserveorlando.com if I use paypal (5% return).

Undercover tourists: Famous, lot of ppl recommends and it will send actual tickets to my home address.
Reserveorlando: Not many review in internet and it only issues e-ticket and I need to redeem it at Will Call Center. However, 5% payback from paypal is so tempting. Also, I need to checkout 1 ticket at a time in order to get 5% payback (as paypal had $20 ceilling for each payback)

Please advise which one should I choose. Thanks
I would rather get tickets from authorized dealers and undercover tourist is authorized by Disney.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2003
1710 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Get a quote from Dreams Unlimited Travel. They're Disney-centric, and their agents are excellent; they'll automatically apply any relevant discount codes to your reservation. You don't pay any extra money for using them, as their commission comes straight from Disney.

And yes, stay on-site if at all possible.
Feedback Rating: 121 ratings - 100% positive [ Heatware | eBay | RFD BST ]
Apr 27, 2012
28 posts
4 upvotes
BOISSEVAIN
Can't beat www.rentalcodes.com for car rental discounts. I got a compact for $18 TOTAL when I went to the World Series in Detroit last month.
Mar 24, 2009
627 posts
37 upvotes
wesleyw wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 9:39 am
Also start researching and booking restaurants as well - especially if you want to experience some of the character dining experiences with your kids. They are not cheap and you are really just paying for the few seconds you will have with a character, but it may be worth it to do that as oppose to having to figure out when/where the characters would be and then line up for them. Even some non-character dining restaurants gets booked up early (my favourite - O'Hana) so it may be worth booking a couple of meals in advanced.
This is good advice as well. Book your dining early.

If you are staying on property and you are booked, you can book your dining I think up to 6 months in advance (you only need to do this for the really busy seasons), without having to put a deposit on your credit card. What we do is see what restaurants we want to go to and if they are at a park, see which days that park has the magic hours. That gives you a bit more time to plan your reservation and that.

The good thing about the dining plan is you can get into most of the character dinings using one of your table services.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4928 posts
708 upvotes
Maple
Xax wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 1:11 pm
Get a quote from Dreams Unlimited Travel. They're Disney-centric, and their agents are excellent; they'll automatically apply any relevant discount codes to your reservation. You don't pay any extra money for using them, as their commission comes straight from Disney.

And yes, stay on-site if at all possible.
Filled out request form but didn't enter travel person names, they responded asking that. Are they legit?
Nov 20, 2012
1 posts
1 upvote
Markham
We have used Dreams Unlimited twice now to book DCL trips. No problems at all. Totally legit :)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4928 posts
708 upvotes
Maple
wongjt wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 10:13 am
We have used Dreams Unlimited twice now to book DCL trips. No problems at all. Totally legit :)
How much is cheaper from them compare to Disney' site? Thanks
May 24, 2011
171 posts
14 upvotes
teoconca wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 11:49 am
How much is cheaper from them compare to Disney' site? Thanks
I just received a quote from them and then went back to Disney's site and it was exactly the same
× < >