Travel

Disputing an airline ticket - airline blacklists?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2020 3:52 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5603 posts
2005 upvotes
Toronto

Disputing an airline ticket - airline blacklists?

Is there any evidence to suggest - or has anyone ever heard of a case - where a disputed charge with an airline resulted in that airline banning the passenger from future travel?

I have some flights booked via a travel agency, and neither the agency or the airline are responding to requests. All wording on the airlines site indicates that I need to contact the agency for any changes/cancellations anyway. The airline have canceled flights for the foreseeable future and I'm not convinced that this agency will make it through this pandemic at all.

I've made every reasonable attempt to contact them for weeks, and finally went the 'dispute' route via my amex platinum. They were quite helpful. I'm just concerned over any future potential complications as a result of this.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1605 posts
1366 upvotes
gei wrote: Is there any evidence to suggest - or has anyone ever heard of a case - where a disputed charge with an airline resulted in that airline banning the passenger from future travel?

I have some flights booked via a travel agency, and neither the agency or the airline are responding to requests. All wording on the airlines site indicates that I need to contact the agency for any changes/cancellations anyway. The airline have canceled flights for the foreseeable future and I'm not convinced that this agency will make it through this pandemic at all.

I've made every reasonable attempt to contact them for weeks, and finally went the 'dispute' route via my amex platinum. They were quite helpful. I'm just concerned over any future potential complications as a result of this.
As long as you pursue the matter in good faith (eg don’t threaten an airline employee), you are free to pursue this as vigorously as you wish and I have never heard of any airline banning someone for doing so.

Good luck, given recent happenings, you should be successful getting an airline voucher.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
gei wrote: Is there any evidence to suggest - or has anyone ever heard of a case - where a disputed charge with an airline resulted in that airline banning the passenger from future travel?

Usually when I have seen the case of a blacklist it was because of SEVERAL (used/flown) tickets that resulted in a massive amount (read: several thousand dollars) in a chargeback. Many times it was more fraud that caused the black list. The best example I can use is this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5158335

In your case?
Wouldn’t worry about getting banned.
Good luck.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1782 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto
Anyway Amex will dispute it back to the agency, not the airline, as it's the agency that Amex gave the money to.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2809 posts
3664 upvotes
The Canterbury Tail wrote: Anyway Amex will dispute it back to the agency, not the airline, as it's the agency that Amex gave the money to.
Quite often not that way. Credit cards are often authorized through to the ticketing airline for charges. You'll see T's&C's like this from a travel agency:
"You agree to authorize the ticket issuer to charge your credit card number the amount "

Same for several other types of travel bookings, especially cruises.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11549 posts
5377 upvotes
Moving target
robsaw wrote: Quite often not that way. Credit cards are often authorized through to the ticketing airline for charges. You'll see T's&C's like this from a travel agency:
"You agree to authorize the ticket issuer to charge your credit card number the amount "

Same for several other types of travel bookings, especially cruises.

True my recent booking with cheapoair and west jet. Cheapoair charges $9 Westjet did the rest
Autocorrect sucks