• Dec 15th, 2017 1:12 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12055 posts
1783 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Where was the t-shirt manufactured?

If you have never applied for an adjustment, this is a great time to learn how to do one (since the value is so low) so that it'll be easier next time you need to do it.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7372 posts
4819 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Years ago used to work for Customs.

You DON’T HAVE A CASE for CBSA Appeals... So don’t waste your time

You have gotten good info here from many RFD Regulars.

Especially this one with referenced numbers:
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 10:51 am
13% hst + 18% duty on clothing if made outside NAFTA + 10$ CP fee + hst on that = $24~

Here's a quick cheat sheet on duty on page 3
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 01-eng.pdf
If you’ve never been dinged before for Taxes & Duties on Mail Order, consider yourself lucky.

The killer though is Brokerage Fees... highway robbery!

Like many others i’ve given up on having items pushed across the border on my behalf... I now too have a Mail / Parcel Drop in a just over the Border location, where I can easily drive to for pick up

If you honestly declare coming home, most times you just get waved thru.

And for bigger things we just pick them up when across for 24+ Hours so as to take full advantage of our Personal Exemptions
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12055 posts
1783 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Well, I think there is a case for an adjustment because the seller input an incorrect value for the item. The OP probably has proof of the value paid for the item, which can be submitted to the CBSA.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7372 posts
4819 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Becks wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 5:00 pm
Well, I think there is a case for an adjustment because the seller input an incorrect value for the item. The OP probably has proof of the value paid for the item, which can be submitted to the CBSA.
True enough.

But the run around is not going to be worth it in the long run in regards to time, energy & frustration
For very little gain here (a few bucks back)
Appeals suck... they require a lot of paperwork / proof... and back & forth
Rarely are they straight forward
In this case it means 4 parties involved (Buyer - Seller - Shipper / Broker - and Canada Customs)
Could literally take weeks / months

The OP definitely seems not thrilled about the Declaration Error made by the Seller...
But I th8nk their greater issue / outrage is having to pay at all... and how much (50% range)
It is what it is... they just happened to have gotten lucky in the past with buying from the USA and not having to pay
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2406 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 11:30 pm
True enough.

But the run around is not going to be worth it in the long run in regards to time, energy & frustration
For very little gain here (a few bucks back)
Appeals suck... they require a lot of paperwork / proof... and back & forth
Rarely are they straight forward
In this case it means 4 parties involved (Buyer - Seller - Shipper / Broker - and Canada Customs)
Could literally take weeks / months

The OP definitely seems not thrilled about the Declaration Error made by the Seller...
But I th8nk their greater issue / outrage is having to pay at all... and how much (50% range)
It is what it is... they just happened to have gotten lucky in the past with buying from the USA and not having to pay
Your making it sound harder than it actually is. It's really not that bad. They only care about the exporter (where you bought it from) and the importer (you). They dont care about the shipper other than the original invoice that was given to you from the shipper

You print your proof that it was advertised lower then charged, you print your payment method that you made your payment with (cc statement/bank statement) highlighting the charge, you print the invoice given from the seller

You fill out this form

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... b2g-16.pdf

then you send it off to the address specified. If they want more information, they will tell you what they want.

Consumer adjustments are really easy. Now commercial adjustments are a whole different ball game. Lastly, you can only contest the HST/duty portion of the declared value. Not the total value charged which includes the fee from the courier.

I've sent 5+ adjustments already because I ended up returning some items that were imported. In my case, I sent the invoice I was initially charged, refund slips, courier return label, courier tracking info and bank statement. The money was returned within a month no questions asked.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2421 posts
1365 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Becks wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 5:00 pm
That's true (something I stated already). But this is where cost and benefit comes in to play. OP only has grounds to dispute the valuation based on what they paid, which OP says is a difference of $3. So GST is 15c. Assuming HST, it's 36c, plus 54c duty. So a total of 90c refundable.

Assuming they mail in the form and have discounted postage stamps, that'll be 85c for a net refund of 5c.

The rest of the costs ($10 CP fee, duties and taxes on the correct value, etc) are not eligible for a refund.

So...best case? 90c back.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4699 posts
588 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
ALLCAPS wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 10:53 am
That's true (something I stated already). But this is where cost and benefit comes in to play. OP only has grounds to dispute the valuation based on what they paid, which OP says is a difference of $3. So GST is 15c. Assuming HST, it's 36c, plus 54c duty. So a total of 90c refundable
I'm not sure that is true,

Was the duty and tax calculated on the total amount or was the free allowance subtracted beforre duty and tax were calculated?
Not really clear to me from the discussion so far.

But in the past I spoke to Canada Customs a few times about duty & tax and was told each time that the exemption amount should be subtracted before calculating duty and customs but most agents don't do this apparently because, especially around Christmas, they hire a lot of temporary help with inadequate training.
So if the $20 were not subtracted, the refund would be bigger - still not great and not necessarily worth the effort to dispute it.

The process to request an adjustment is actually very easy and straight forward
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12055 posts
1783 upvotes
City of Vancouver
OP still hasn't stated where the tshirt was manufactured.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2421 posts
1365 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
krs wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 11:22 am
I'm not sure that is true,

Was the duty and tax calculated on the total amount or was the free allowance subtracted beforre duty and tax were calculated?
Not really clear to me from the discussion so far.
In this case it would be irrelevant. The item - even with corrected value - was more than $20 CAD and therefore the exemption does not apply as taxes and/or duties are based on the full value, not the full value less $20. :)
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4699 posts
588 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
ALLCAPS wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 12:51 pm
In this case it would be irrelevant. The item - even with corrected value - was more than $20 CAD and therefore the exemption does not apply as taxes and/or duties are based on the full value, not the full value less $20. :)
That is not what I was told by Canada Customs on two separate occasions.

Mind you - these were private shipments where the exemption is $60.- but the principle is the same.
Maybe the agent in my case was confused, but bottom line was they refunded all my taxes, not just the delta for the $60.- or $20.- excemption.
At the time, this was a few years back, one could even find that specifically on the Canada Customs website.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4699 posts
588 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Google to the rescue
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/cour ... u-eng.html

For a gift with the $60 exemption one only pays duty and taxes on the excess value over $60, but for a commercial shipment with a value over $20, duty and taxes are due on the full amount.
I stand corrected