None
[OP]
Aug 6, 2009
239 posts
130 upvotes
Markham

Disputing a CC Charge

Hey guys,

I've reached out to my CC already and have to wait until business hours to file this, but I wanted an idea in preparation from folks here on RFD.

I purchased a Spa package back in mid June, which is good for 12 months. When it come time to use it I just found out this weekend the business had closed and the owner has sold his business to a new owner. I'm stuck with a $500 purchase which is useless because the new owner is not honoring it. There is still contact with the previous owner by this new business. I did charge this on my Mastercard (PCFinancial to be specific).

What are chances of chargeback in these situations... is it fightable or do I have to go after this previous owner myself?
5 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4728 posts
1426 upvotes
Winnipeg
U should be able to dispute on pc mc online
May 28, 2012
10137 posts
2297 upvotes
Saskatoon
I always thought there was a time limit for disputing charges with your credit card, like 30 days or so after billing date. If this was put through several months ago, you might have a problem. Best thing to do is call the bank and ask. If they allow a chargeback, the current owner will be out the money.
Aug 30, 2011
68 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
I think you really have to wait until you talk to the credit card company. Since you paid it in June, I think they cannot easily do a charge back since they already paid out the merchant.
Why doesn't the new owner honor it? Did they change the name of the spa and is it a new company? If so, the value of your gift card is at the discretion of the new owner and I think you will be out of luck.

If they didn't change the company name, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't honor your card.
May 2, 2010
246 posts
61 upvotes
You will be in trouble I suspect... Most CC have a 90-day limit to dispute.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8260 posts
3985 upvotes
hotski7 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2013 10:39 pm
You will be in trouble I suspect... Most CC have a 90-day limit to dispute.
+1 .. I remember back with Citi MC it was 105 days. After that you'd be SOL regardless of what the situation is. Hope PC can still dispute it for you, although, had they not been able to, you should have been told right away.