Shopping Discussion

Disputing a fraudulent credit card claim that was rejected?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2016 6:48 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2018 upvotes
Ottawa

Disputing a fraudulent credit card claim that was rejected?

How do I go about disputing a claim that was rejected by my credit card issuer?
I know someone will tell me to call them, but what can increase my chances of getting my money back?
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
What's the situation behind this?

Write a detailed email to the issuer outlining the timeline and events. Talk with someone on the chargeback team why your case was rejected and if they have filed a case with Visa/MC.

Often, small credit unions like Vancity don't have the experience or sufficient staff to file good chargeback cases to Visa/MC. The bigger your purchase, the more likely you should be using a good card from Amex, BMO, or TD.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2018 upvotes
Ottawa
Spinner wrote: What's the situation behind this?

Write a detailed email to the issuer outlining the timeline and events. Talk with someone on the chargeback team why your case was rejected and if they have filed a case with Visa/MC.

Often, small credit unions like Vancity don't have the experience or sufficient staff to file good chargeback cases to Visa/MC. The bigger your purchase, the more likely you should be using a good card from Amex, BMO, or TD.
I made a purchase at Babylon cafe using a TD credit card, which I saw posted to my account on the two days that I went there. Coincidentally, there are charges posted on the exact same two days under the name COOJO VANCOUVER. However, the transaction dates for COOJO and Babylon cafe are different. The problem is that I don't remember going to this COOJO place at all and searching their postal code sends me to some Ismaili temple in BC, which I find so bizarre because I have no business going there. I also realize that merchants may have a different billing address, but even searching COOJO into Google doesn't bring up anything.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7843 posts
9202 upvotes
Vancouver
Did they say if it was a PIN purchase, contactless, or signature? I would ask TD to provide you with additional merchant contact info. I would try to get in touch with someone working on the chargeback team at TD, in particular the person assigned your case. If it's a small amount, TD can credit you back based on goodwill without a chargeback.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2018 upvotes
Ottawa
Spinner wrote: Did they say if it was a PIN purchase, contactless, or signature? I would ask TD to provide you with additional merchant contact info. I would try to get in touch with someone working on the chargeback team at TD, in particular the person assigned your case. If it's a small amount, TD can credit you back based on goodwill without a chargeback.
They said COOJO was contactless, and Babylon cafe was a PIN purchase. I found this bizarre because I distinctly remember contactless purchases at Babylon cafe.
But I called TD and that is what they just did - credited my account since it was more expensive to appeal the claim than to just refund me. That really wasn't my intention... I wanted this merchant investigated and appropriately reprimanded. But the purchase was over a month ago since it took that long to process my original claim and the details have slipped my mind...
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
199 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
You haven't sorted it out yet ? It's been over a month . $8 twice ?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
2397 posts
1091 upvotes
john.canad wrote:
Spinner wrote: Did they say if it was a PIN purchase, contactless, or signature? I would ask TD to provide you with additional merchant contact info. I would try to get in touch with someone working on the chargeback team at TD, in particular the person assigned your case. If it's a small amount, TD can credit you back based on goodwill without a chargeback.
They said COOJO was contactless, and Babylon cafe was a PIN purchase. I found this bizarre because I distinctly remember contactless purchases at Babylon cafe.
But I called TD and that is what they just did - credited my account since it was more expensive to appeal the claim than to just refund me. That really wasn't my intention... I wanted this merchant investigated and appropriately reprimanded. But the purchase was over a month ago since it took that long to process my original claim and the details have slipped my mind...
They won't bother. My cc was used fraudulently and had $1000s charged to it. They just reversed all the charges. It's actually more cost efficient for the credit card company to write off these charges then investigate them all. Especially if the charges aren't very much.

Even if they do investigate it further they will never tell you did or what the outcome was.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2018 upvotes
Ottawa
Northofseven wrote: You haven't sorted it out yet ? It's been over a month . $8 twice ?
Yeah, how did you know it was $8?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2018 upvotes
Ottawa
Momof3cuties wrote:
john.canad wrote:
They won't bother. My cc was used fraudulently and had $1000s charged to it. They just reversed all the charges. It's actually more cost efficient for the credit card company to write off these charges then investigate them all. Especially if the charges aren't very much.

Even if they do investigate it further they will never tell you did or what the outcome was.
That's actually horrible to hear
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
john.canad wrote:
Spinner wrote: What's the situation behind this?

I made a purchase at Babylon cafe using a TD credit card, which I saw posted to my account on the two days that I went there. Coincidentally, there are charges posted on the exact same two days under the name COOJO VANCOUVER. However, the transaction dates for COOJO and Babylon cafe are different. The problem is that I don't remember going to this COOJO place at all and searching their postal code sends me to some Ismaili temple in BC, which I find so bizarre because I have no business going there. I also realize that merchants may have a different billing address, but even searching COOJO into Google doesn't bring up anything.
Have you tried asking the cafe? Are these two charges or an authorization and then a charge?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2018 upvotes
Ottawa
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Momof3cuties wrote:
john.canad wrote:

Plus, this is one reason for super the high interest rates.
What interest rate?

Also if they don't bother investigating, what's to stop people from buying something like a macbook, and then reporting a lost card to get credit back for the purchase
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4624 posts
1064 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
john.canad wrote:
Northofseven wrote: You haven't sorted it out yet ? It's been over a month . $8 twice ?
A quick search reveals this is not your first or only thread on this topic, and this is not the only place where this issue was posted.
john.canad wrote:
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Momof3cuties wrote:

What interest rate?

Also if they don't bother investigating, what's to stop people from buying something like a macbook, and then reporting a lost card to get credit back for the purchase
A MacBook and $8 are quite different.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2018 upvotes
Ottawa
dmxlite wrote:
john.canad wrote:
john.canad wrote:
jackrabbit000 wrote:

What interest rate?

Yeah but this:
Momof3cuties wrote:
john.canad wrote:

Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
john.canad wrote:
dmxlite wrote:
john.canad wrote:
john.canad wrote:

What interest rate?

Yeah but this:
Momof3cuties wrote:
john.canad wrote:

Have you tried asking the cafe? Are these two charges or an authorization and then a charge?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7135 posts
3737 upvotes
Montreal
john.canad wrote:
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Momof3cuties wrote:

What interest rate?

What's to stop anybody from committing any crime?
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4846 posts
2018 upvotes
Ottawa
Ojam wrote:
john.canad wrote:
dmxlite wrote:

Yeah but this:
Momof3cuties wrote:

They are two separate charges with different amounts.
I really don't want to be bothered with talking to the cafe because their english is quite poor, and they will likely deny it
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
john.canad wrote:
Ojam wrote:
john.canad wrote:

Yeah but this:

They are two separate charges with different amounts.
I really don't want to be bothered with talking to the cafe because their english is quite poor, and they will likely deny it
If you don't talk to the Cafe you may never know what the problem is, simply saying they will deny it isn't really a solution. If you include more details though we might be able to give more suggestions.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)