Home & Garden

Distributel Cable (no contract) and uncapped in ON

Dec 27, 2007
10673 posts
3294 upvotes
Kitchener

Distributel Cable (no contract) and uncapped in ON

Update 09/01/2013: as you probably know distributel ended up giving the short end of the stick to ALL 3Web customers, not only are they forcing you to move to pricier and less capable plan but they are also forcing us to through our D3 modems (which supported by Rogers and about every other ISP provider in Canada) just to buy another D3 modem from them !!

max88 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2013 6:11 pm
Any way, without much thought I switched to VMEDIA, paying less and getting more, YMMV depending on service location (below is my speed during a weekend congestion)

VMEDIA or elsewhere everyone I would encourage everyone to seek another provider (I was willing to stay with them and pay the new rates, as they didn't offer any kind of loyalty discount for grandfathered 3Web customers, but apparently they felt the need to milk me for another $50 to buy a refurbished cable modem that is almost exactly the same as the one they claim no longer capable to run on the same Rogers cable it has been running on for the last couple of years[/COLOR]

Update 04/05/2013: rates upped slightly, FTTN service introduced, installation fees are now $30 + $10 one time activation, D3 modem is $5 to rent (monthly), $100 to own (bring your own is currently not allowed).

Update 10/16/2012: Cable 12 got upgraded to 18 and 24 to 28, installation fees are now $30 + $10 one time activation, D3 modem is $5 to rent (monthly), $100 to own
Update 9/20/2011: 3Web completely merged in Distributell, caps officially removed, activation fees waived (even for those without active internet), rates slightly increased (as it includes a $5 modem rental).
Cable Internet 3: $33
Cable Internet 10: $44
Cable Internet 15: $50

Update 2/22/2011: Rates are updated and caps are introduced (in accordance with CRTC UBB ruling) that said CAPS are NOT EFFECTIVE until 3Web announces overage fees which they have not done so far.

Silver-Level Service
Download at Speeds up to 3 mbps
Upload at Speeds up to 256 kbps
15 GIG Monthly Data Transfer
All service levels include unlimited @3web.com Email Addresses
Only $26.95 per month!

Gold-Level Service
Download at Speeds up to 10 mbps
Upload at Speeds up to 512 kbps
60 GIG Monthly Data Transfer
Only $19.95 for the first month!
Then, an amazing $40.95 per month afterwards

Platinum-Level Service
Download at Speeds up to 15 mbps
Upload at Speeds up to 1 mbps
80 GIG Monthly Data Transfer
Only $43.95 per month!
Original post (Nov. 4, 2010)

OK, since that's their typical every day price, but I didn't it worthy a thread of its won but looking at the numbers of members who would rather pay 1 year upfront with Acanac than sticking with Rogers and the number of PM's I got inquiring about my post on the Acanac thread where I mentioned 3web.

Here is what I got from 3web ($37.95) No offers/discounts whatsoever thats what you get for just calling:
  • 15 mbps down /1 mbps up.
  • No caps.
  • $50 installation fees waived for those with existing cable internet (still applicable if you have active cable connection (TV) without internet).
  • $4 modem rental which you can purchase for "$60+$20 delivery" or bring your own modem.
  • No contracts (need to contact them before the 15th of any month to cancel your subscription for the following month).
  • No upfront payment like Acanac.
They also have the same terms for a 10 mbps down / 800 kbps up for $32.95 and a lite service of 3 mbps down for $24.95, you can switch between plans at your convenience.

This is particularly interesting for those in K-W (like myself) because 3Web just reopened cable service this week, when I called several weeks ago I was told they are doing maintenance and not accepting any cable customers in my area.
With Teksavvy latest promise (by the end of the year), this is the only Rogers alternative available in K-W for Cable internet. Mind you I don't even know if Acanac is available in K-W and if they are, I would rather not pay 1 year upfront and then try to deal with their billing department in case I decided to change my mind (which by the way happens to be located in IRAN and only reachable by email).

3Web DSL used to have mostly negative reviews on DSLreports and around here as well, but apparently this is changing now after it was acquired by Distributel. They currently have very sold cable service reports all around. With no commitment one can easily switch (hopefully teksavvy would be available by the time) to any of the competition as they become available.

Read below for my experience (SO FAR), I will update my posts accordingly.

UPDATE : 3Web (Ontario wide) prime time (7pm ~ 1am) congestion problems: NOW RESOLVED
3Web acknowledged the problem and is currently investigating
sehache wrote:Yes, there are speed issues during prime time on 3WEBs cable network. Investigating why.

For myself in Orleans using the St Laurent POI, during the day I get 13 M down and 500 Kb up.
At about 16:30 it drops down to 7M down and 500 Kb up.
at 19:30 it drops again to 5M down
at 20:00 it can be seen around 2 M

This is all across the province.

We also resell Videotron in Quebec and do not have this issue.

For my Orleans link, the connection to Rogers is running at about 60% capacity (peaks into 140 M of 200 )
Our transit is not congested now.

Do not know why speeds drop consistently every day at exactly the same time in all areas we offer service. Will keep on looking.
Status in KW (11/15/2010)
sehache wrote:Your POI is upgraded. Only ones that needs to be upgraded are Barrie, Scarborough, Richmond Street x2 in Ottawa and Scarlet Road in Toronto.
I am looking into why the prime time speed issues are affecting the network. This should be the only thing affecting your traffic. Your POI and transit are not congested.
3Web Service Classes in ON (12/14/2010)
aasoror wrote:
Dec 12th, 2010 12:46 pm
So far there is 3 classes of users on 3Web (based the reports here and one DSLReports):
1 - Those getting full speeds all the time over all protocols. Very few but they exist (couple of pages earlier).
2 - Those getting full speeds during the majority of the day and low speeds over http/ftp during congestion. That used to be the norm several weeks ago (I was in this class when I registered, check first post).
3 - Those getting low speeds anytime of the day on http/ftp but consistently full speeds over P2P/NNTP. This is where most of the users who complaining are right now. (I am here now, check my last post for full NNTP screen shot during peak times)
4 - Then there is those with overall low speeds for all protocols at all time (that would be you, and reports in this class isn't that many).

The most problematic is class 3, because there is no straight forward answer or an explanation for this stimulated congestion. Class 2 is your typical congestion issue, while class 4 points to a local problem.

The best way is to ask around before signing up, expect the same performance as your neighbor or those around the block. If you live in SuckaB's neighborhood there is no reason for you not to get the same good performance you he is reporting.
TSI is indeed more reliable and stable, I would take it anytime of the day if I can do with their 200GB limit (for around the same price of the 3Web unlimited), if you are in class 1,2 (or 3 and matches your usage needs) then 3Web certainly not bad deal as a Rogers replacement till they fix this up or till TSI is available at your place.

Class 3 problem is Ontario wide, and most don't care about being in class 3, they just need their YT and NF running, so I can see all ON calling every single day (and using multiple lines just like you did), any way myself and others had better luck with hold times but I do understand why we are the exception (at least until this issue is resolved).

As mentioned earlier 3Web doesn't charge you for installation if you have existing cable internet (unlike Acanac and TSI - mixed reports about TSI activation -) and you really don't need to spend 24 hours on hold to cancel the service, you can do so from your online account (before the 15th of your billing cycle so you won't be charged another one).
Status in KW (4/15/2011)
Been around a month so far, ALL KW problems has been resolved.
Ascend Y300 Owners thread (Unlock, Root and Debrand)
LG G2 Owners thread (Unlock, Root and Debrand)
3412 replies
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
10673 posts
3294 upvotes
Kitchener
aasoror wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2010 3:53 pm
I took me 2 weeks to decide to cancel Rogers for good.
A customer of several years, with a grandfathered 10down/1up/95GB allowance, 30% of reg ($59.99).
It all started when I complained about 95GB cap which I was getting over every single month, retention was kind enough to offer another 12 months extension on my 30% discount regardless of the plan I will choose, but I will have replace my modem SB5100 (Rogers Purchased) because it a DOCSIS 2.0 and wont work with 15+plans currently offered. (at that time I was not offered the free 12 months rental).

Looking around it turned out to be another money milking scheme, DOCSIS 2.0 supports up to 37Mbps it only makes sense for those with the Ultimate services (50 Mbps) to be obliged to replace their modem. As a matter of fact Teksavvy has the SB5100 listed in their compatible modems list (for the 15Mb service) and 3web agent told me that rogers sends them the same SB5100 to pass to their customers (for their 15 Mbps plans as well).

Funny thing is I was able to upgrade my speed using my online account (as confirmed by many others), my rogers account wont let me even purchase a modem because it stated its compatible with the 25/1 plan, update went through and its wasn't so long till my speeds were pumped up (and I got a confirmation email too).

Calling out the next day ready to commit for another 12 months and get that 30% discount, only to find that, the orders (though accepted and confirmed by the system) goes through manual revision where agents do cancel any order linked to an older modem. And the retention agent did indeed cancel my order and downgraded me while I was on the phone with him (he said I am sorry but I cant confirm your order).

To add insult to the injury, you can either rent from rogers or purchase from rogers, you can't bring your own modem (officially), and the same modem isn't offered at any other retailer. (it was reported that you can purchase your own and try to see if you got a helpful agent how would agree to trick the system and list the modem as one of rogers ... huge YMMV).

So here is what I needed to do get above the 95GB cap (which I am paying $32 + overage + taxes after all discounts)
- Upgrade one tier (extra $7) 30GB extra
- Get UA (extra $5) 20GB extra
- Buy ($200 + taxes) or rent ($7) a modem that I don't need and have no use for.
- Commit for another 12 months.

So to avoid $50 extra for unlimited internet, I had to pay at least $20 for an extra 50GB.
Due to the lack of options (as of couple of weeks ago), I placed an order for the SB6120 on amazon.us ($80 shipped to US address) and was ready to commit with Rogers with an anticipated trip to hell to get my modem added to their database.

In all honesty I wasn't offered the free modem rental till I called for the 4th and last time to cancel, it was a little too late for that because I had already signed up with 3web.

Here is what I got from 3web ($42 TAXES IN) No offers/discounts whatsoever thats what you get for just calling:
- 15down/1up.
- No caps.
- No installation fees because I already have active cable internet.
- Can still keep my SB5100.
- No contracts.
- No upfront payment like Acanac.

I can at any time cancel (before the 15th of each month), I can also downgrade to 10/0.8 (no caps) for $33 + taxes.

This is even better than Teksavvy (though teksavvy isn't available in K/W yet)
Update Nov. 4
My service is not yet activated as of today, Rogers is locking my own modem to them till November 30. 3Web was very prompt in actually emailing me about that issue (which I wasn't aware of), they also discussed with me other alternatives:
- wait till Nov. 30
- rent modem from them till mine is released ($4 for the month + fees to ship it back).
- they also said that since it was an unforeseen event I am free to cancel my order if I would like to.

I am sticking with them (and with Rogers for now) till Nov. 30.
Update Nov. 5
Called Rogers fulfillment today, didn't take 5 minutes to get my modem unbound (yet now I have no internet at home :( ).
Called 3web and gave them the news, they promised to take over sometime by Fri 12, them being the middle man is getting on nerves already. Any way, waiting and hoping for the best.

Update Nov. 7
Apparently sometime in the last 24 hours 3Web has activated my internet. (Pleasantly surprised)
The service should be 15/1, the result are around 5/1 from Waterloo speedtest server, I will keep you updated once speed stabilizes.

Update Nov. 8
Speeds around the requested service today, will still see how its varied throughout the day (i.e. congestion).

Update Nov. 9
Yesterday speed was stable at 15/1 with congestion (down to 5~7 mbps) around 9~10 p.m.I just need to know if they are yet to stabilize my account or should I consider getting the SB6120 shipped to me. Torrents downloading at full speeds, so there is no throttling done.

Update Nov. 10
My service is now active according to my 3web account. I am still watching for how bad the congestions gets, nothing deterring currently.

Update Dec. 1 (Rogers cut my cable)
Nov. 29 was my last day of double payment (Rogers and 3Web), so it was the last day of my Rogers services (which wasn't running for almost a month). Expectantly, Rogers came today (1 business day after my termination) and actually disconnected the cable (that has active 3Web connection on it) :(
Called 3Web, greeting said at least 15 minutes wait, took only 5 minutes for tech support to pick, opened a ticket and got a ticket number, was promised to hear back from L2 TS in 4 hours. 1.5 hours later got a phone call from L2 TS to acknowledge receipt of my ticket, they said someone would come on Rogers next available visit and that they will call me back once they have an exact date.

Update Dec. 3 (service returned)
Rogers technician passed by me today at 2 pm (though my visit was scheduled for tomorrow), and indeed Rogers did cut my cable. At 2:15pm my internet was back. At 3:30 pm 3Web level 2 tech support called to check the status of fix and informing me that they are closing the ticket. Less that 48 hours from me reporting the problem to them fixing it (which wasn't their fault to start with).
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
2894 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
$100 installation fee for new user(I'm using teksavvy dsl now)?
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Mar 28, 2006
641 posts
44 upvotes
damn.....cable service is not avaliable from third party arggggh..... in brampton
TecHub Services | 647-400-1008 | IT Consulting Services
Computer and Networking Services
www.techubservices.com
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
10673 posts
3294 upvotes
Kitchener
rui wrote:
Nov 4th, 2010 4:57 pm
$100 installation fee for new user(I'm using teksavvy dsl now)?

Generally speaking, you will incur these installation fees with any cable provider if you never had cable before. And once you got your cable setup (with whatever provider) you dont have to pay these fees again (usually) when switching between resellers.
Rogers waives them for 1 year commitment.
I have also read that Teksavvy will waive them if you are already DSL subscriber with them (not 100% sure though).
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1274 posts
262 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Nov 4th, 2010 4:41 pm
this is the only Rogers alternative available in K-W
:-0
What about Yak, EyeSurf, Bell? Why is this the only Rogers alternative available in K-W? :facepalm:
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
10673 posts
3294 upvotes
Kitchener
mark_in_2k wrote:
Nov 4th, 2010 5:07 pm
Not true now that Acanac have cable service in KW.
Thanks for the info .. but I am afraid ..
aasoror wrote:
Nov 4th, 2010 4:41 pm
this is the only Rogers alternative available in K-W. Mind you I don't even know if Acanac is available in K-W and if they are, I would rather not pay 1 year upfront and then try to deal with their billing department in case I decided to change my mind (which by the way happens to be located in IRAN and only reachable by email).
NikyK wrote:
Nov 4th, 2010 5:09 pm
:-0
What about Yak, EyeSurf, Bell? Why is this the only Rogers alternative available in K-W? :facepalm:
Sorry for the confusion, post fixed, I thought it was clear enough that I am talking about Rogers alternatives for CABLE internet.
Just looking at the YAK (K-W), EyeSurf (K-W) threads where people are happy with a STABLE 5 ~ 7 Mbps it makes my options very limited ;) , once your bar is raised its hard to accept these kind of speeds for the same or more money.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1274 posts
262 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Nov 4th, 2010 5:14 pm
Thanks for the info .. but I am afraid ..

Sorry for the confusion, post fixed, I thought it was clear enough that I am talking about Rogers alternatives for CABLE internet.
Just looking at the YAK (K-W), EyeSurf (K-W) threads where people are happy with a STABLE 5 ~ 7 Mbps it makes my options very limited ;) , once your bar is raised its hard to accept these kind of speeds for the same same or more money.

:confused: a STABLE 5 ~ 7 Mbps ... Two of my neighbours are getting a STABLE 14 Mbps with EyeSurf (K-W) ... no disconnections, and other problems. :)
Feb 8, 2004
220 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
aasoror wrote:
Nov 4th, 2010 5:07 pm
Rogers waives them for 1 year commitment.
I have also read that Teksavvy will waive them if you are already DSL subscriber with them (not 100% sure though).

The part about Teksavvy waiving the fee, where did you hear about that?
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2003
1876 posts
80 upvotes
Thornhill
2 questions come to mind...

i) What's going to happen to their 'no cap' when Rogers moves to UBB? (and they will)
ii) How long have ppl been using 3web under the new regime? It seems like they've had a bad reputation in the past.
Those who don't do it, don't get it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
5497 posts
440 upvotes
Mississauga
Any Mississauga residents can chime in about their cable service? I may opt to go with these guys over acanac (have to prepay long term for discounted pricing) and teksavvy (promise to be here by the end of the month)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
8597 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
I've used both 3web DSL and Cable

Depending on your area one might be better than the other.

DSL first - terrible experience constant drops/low internet speeds

switched over to cable

Cable experience - been pretty much fine ever since
- 3/4 days throughout the year where service is just down for a day or two
- overall great for the money
- ALTHOUGH if you have ANY problems - don't expect any real good customer service support

I've been on 3web on the phone for over an hour (waiting) and then getting hung up on. Their customer service wait times/service are horrid.

That's about it. Not looking to switch b/c it works fine for me + the price blows rogers out of the water.
[OP]
Dec 27, 2007
10673 posts
3294 upvotes
Kitchener
NikyK wrote:
Nov 4th, 2010 5:22 pm
:confused: a STABLE 5 ~ 7 Mbps ... Two of my neighbours are getting a STABLE 14 Mbps with EyeSurf (K-W) ... no disconnections, and other problems. :)
Well why listen to me while you can read it yourself :
K-W Only: $49.99 for EyeSurf 10mbps unl internet+home phone+10 calling feat
Yak 10Mbps unl DSL + home phone +400 LD mins+5 call ftrs: $59.90. K-W Barrie Only
That said, I see no reason for me to try my luck and pay extra (considerably) while I have a working cable running inside my house (confirmed for 34mbps) :)
As I said, nothing against DSL, but the deal is about cable internet service replacing Rogers and not about DSL vs. Cable.
cayuga2305 wrote:
Nov 4th, 2010 5:33 pm
The part about Teksavvy waiving the fee, where did you hear about that?
Customer testimonial on TSI thread @ DSLReports.
mrcantrell wrote:
Nov 4th, 2010 5:35 pm
2 questions come to mind...

i) What's going to happen to their 'no cap' when Rogers moves to UBB? (and they will)
ii) How long have ppl been using 3web under the new regime? It seems like they've had a bad reputation in the past.

i) what is the worst that might happened ? you aren't locked in a contract and UBB is already implemented on Rogers faithful and loyal clients (my grand fathered plan costs me $42 + taxes + overage for 10U/1D/95C and that includes 30% discount for a 12 months commitment) do see it getting worse ?!
ii) Well, perhaps not so long, but again I will be getting the service via the same Rogers cable, which had 0 service calls (seriously) for the last 5 years, I would expect if I have problems it would be the typical billing account changes stuff, so far they have not been that bad, but again, all it takes it 2 weeks advance notice and you are off the hock.
× < >