Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2007
1620 posts
2254 upvotes
Halifax

Diving cameras

Hello, Does anyone have much experience with dive cameras/casings? My current digital camera is 5.5 years old, still works great, but I really want something I can take diving.

I'm leaning towards just getting a new camera that I can get a case for. Canon seems to make a lot of cases, S95 and SX230 are the cameras I'm thinking about, the value being that I could use it as a normal camera in addition to something underwater.

Is that the best way to go? I like the zoom, GPS, and slow motion of SX230, but here the photo quality isn't quite as good, and battery life is bad. S95 seems to be higher quality, but lacks those features which would be handy above ground trying to get close shots, plus when traveling.

The third option is just to get an exclusive dive camera, maybe Sealife dc12. But then its integrated so it seems like it's designed to be an underwater camera, but can also be used on land, the canons really seem fully dual purpose.

Looked at other brands too, didn't see a whole lot of offerings. Mainly just third party companies that make casings that happen to fit Sony, etc.

Just curious about others' thoughts and experiences. Thanks.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1705 posts
148 upvotes
I use a Canon G series with an underwater case. I absolutely love the setup.

The camera itself is outstanding on land and in the water.

The things you really want to look for:

1) a dedicated underwater mode which will compensate for the colour shift that occurs at depth.
2) Fast focusing. When you're underwater, things are always in motion. My first camera that I had an underwater case was a Nikon and it was so slow to focus that I missed far more shots that I managed to take.
3) If you're diving, you want a dedicated, hard case to take the pressure from the depth. If you're just snorkeling, you could probably get away with one of these waterproof bags you see on eBay. I don't know how good they are, I use a case.

If you're going to be using the camera very much, you'll want to have a good supply of silica packets (like you get with a pair of shoes); you can order from eBay, and some food grade silicon gel for sealing the gasket. You can reuse the silica packs by drying them out in an oven at a low temperature.
Deal Addict
Jun 19, 2007
1620 posts
2254 upvotes
Halifax
Yes I'm definitely going to go the higher end rather than the cheap "waterproof" cameras they sell at Future shop for $100. I was looking at one and it didn't have a depth rating so I asked the guy who insisted to me that waterproof meant exactly that, and that it could go as deep as you want....

Like I said I'm leaning towards the S95 or SX230 with the respective Canon waterproof case. I think they're good for 130' or so, and really that's probably as deep as I'd ever go. I imagine as you get down there light, pressure, diving equipment etc becomes such that the cost and hassle of good pictures raises exponentially.

I'd like a decent camera, but I think the G-series is probably over the top for me. I have nothing against learning more about photography, but terms like F-stop, and concepts such as lighting are completely foreign to me.

I'd like to stay under $500 US if I could. Is there any problems buying a camera in the states and getting it sent up? How are customs and duties? I've never bought anything other than trinkets off ebay, and customs rarely bothered me.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1705 posts
148 upvotes
seadog83 wrote: Yes I'm definitely going to go the higher end rather than the cheap "waterproof" cameras they sell at Future shop for $100. I was looking at one and it didn't have a depth rating so I asked the guy who insisted to me that waterproof meant exactly that, and that it could go as deep as you want....

Like I said I'm leaning towards the S95 or SX230 with the respective Canon waterproof case. I think they're good for 130' or so, and really that's probably as deep as I'd ever go. I imagine as you get down there light, pressure, diving equipment etc becomes such that the cost and hassle of good pictures raises exponentially.

I'd like a decent camera, but I think the G-series is probably over the top for me. I have nothing against learning more about photography, but terms like F-stop, and concepts such as lighting are completely foreign to me.

I'd like to stay under $500 US if I could. Is there any problems buying a camera in the states and getting it sent up? How are customs and duties? I've never bought anything other than trinkets off ebay, and customs rarely bothered me.

Most waterproof cases (the good ones) are rated to 130' or so. As a diver, you will NOT be going deeper than that unless you have a lot of dives under your belt, etc.

I'm not familiar with the S95 or SX230s. My experience with Canon's has always been great though.

I'd definitely search online for the underwater case. IIRC, I got mine off Amazon.com for less than half of what Canon wants for them. Standard shipping/duty issues apply (i.e. no UPS standard shipping unless you want to get butt-reamed).

If you buy a camera online, you need to balance price vs. warranty issues. I'm not sure what Canon's policy is, you may want to look into that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5156 posts
617 upvotes
in a plane
Although I'm not a diver, you should consider the GoPro Hero 2. It comes with a waterproof case out of the box, can be had for ~$200, takes VERY good video, has high-speed filming for slow-motion playback, and is waterproof to 197' / 60m.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)