• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2018 5:57 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 8, 2018
8 posts
2 upvotes

Divorced but Sharing One Car

I am divorced, but my ex and I are on good terms and live basically across the street from each other. We are currently sharing one vehicle in Toronto. Can that vehicle be insured under two different names?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9127 posts
1726 upvotes
Markham
I doubt it.
Who is the owner? Car is registered under whose's name and which address?

You 2 live separately. Insure interest is different too .
Car is easy to solved in a divorce. One of you just get your own car, much easier to deal with.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
7136 posts
4089 upvotes
Edmonton
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 10:36 am
I doubt it.
Who is the owner? Car is registered under whose's name and which address?

You 2 live separately. Insure interest is different too .
Car is easy to solved in a divorce. One of you just get your own car, much easier to deal with.
Talk to your broker. But my understanding is that anyone who you lend your car to regularly should be on your insurance policy, even if they don’t live with you. For example, we lent one of our vehicles to a friend for a few months, and had her name put on the policy. No problems with the insurance company.

C
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9127 posts
1726 upvotes
Markham
CNeufeld wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 11:03 am
Talk to your broker. But my understanding is that anyone who you lend your car to regularly should be on your insurance policy, even if they don’t live with you. For example, we lent one of our vehicles to a friend for a few months, and had her name put on the policy. No problems with the insurance company.

C
Right. I m the occassional driver of my father in law's car too. We don't live together and I never drive his car. Lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7923 posts
878 upvotes
Ontario
the insurance policy will read the same as the vehicle ownership. If you are the owner, the policy will be in your name and you can list both of you as drivers
raybacchus wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 12:49 am
I am divorced, but my ex and I are on good terms and live basically across the street from each other. We are currently sharing one vehicle in Toronto. Can that vehicle be insured under two different names?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience
Feb 11, 2018
828 posts
671 upvotes
Whoever is the owner of the car must have insurance for the vehicle. Call the insurance company/broker and add the name of the spouse to the policy. That's all.
Paying less is only half the equation. The other half is buying less... ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6607 posts
1201 upvotes
Mississauga
raybacchus wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 12:49 am
I don't know much about your insurance situation but I will give you credit for being that friendly with your ex. I don't think many others would be in your situation.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3221 posts
2930 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Since you are on good terms, pay the insurance and ask your ex for benefits in exchange for riding you.. I mean your car
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2264 posts
279 upvotes
Ancaster
I couldn't share a vehicle with my wife.....never mind if we were divorced.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)