• Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2018 11:24 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 8, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote

Divorced but Sharing One Car

I am divorced, but my ex and I are on good terms and live basically across the street from each other. We are currently sharing one vehicle in Toronto. Can that vehicle be insured under two different names?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8623 posts
1374 upvotes
Markham
I doubt it.
Who is the owner? Car is registered under whose's name and which address?

You 2 live separately. Insure interest is different too .
Car is easy to solved in a divorce. One of you just get your own car, much easier to deal with.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6438 posts
3539 upvotes
Edmonton
MP3_SKY wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 10:36 am
I doubt it.
Who is the owner? Car is registered under whose's name and which address?

You 2 live separately. Insure interest is different too .
Car is easy to solved in a divorce. One of you just get your own car, much easier to deal with.
Talk to your broker. But my understanding is that anyone who you lend your car to regularly should be on your insurance policy, even if they don’t live with you. For example, we lent one of our vehicles to a friend for a few months, and had her name put on the policy. No problems with the insurance company.

C
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8623 posts
1374 upvotes
Markham
CNeufeld wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 11:03 am
Talk to your broker. But my understanding is that anyone who you lend your car to regularly should be on your insurance policy, even if they don’t live with you. For example, we lent one of our vehicles to a friend for a few months, and had her name put on the policy. No problems with the insurance company.

C
Right. I m the occassional driver of my father in law's car too. We don't live together and I never drive his car. Lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)