• May 19th, 2019 8:41 am
Tags:
[OP]
May 10, 2012
250 posts
29 upvotes
Markham

DMX 1 Step Subfloor: Any experience?

Does anyone have any experience using this product? I was going to lay it down and then put laminate flooring on top in my basement. I don't have 100% confidence in the basement being 100% dry. I'd appreciate any input.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4728 posts
1084 upvotes
Kitchener
Used it on a few basements, no wood or organics and does have some R-value. Has a felt backing which reduces the clacking sound when you walk on it. It's no good for the thinner vinyl plank laminate floors, doesn't support it enough. Fine for wood laminate and carpet. No matter what you put down if it gets wet from a flood you'll have to pull it up to dry out
[OP]
May 10, 2012
250 posts
29 upvotes
Markham
Drthorne wrote:
Oct 20th, 2016 10:17 pm
Used it on a few basements, no wood or organics and does have some R-value. Has a felt backing which reduces the clacking sound when you walk on it. It's no good for the thinner vinyl plank laminate floors, doesn't support it enough. Fine for wood laminate and carpet. No matter what you put down if it gets wet from a flood you'll have to pull it up to dry out
Thank you. If say, a little water seeps through the foundation, if the 1-step is installed correctly, the laminate shouldn't be affected, correct? Did you lay the laminate directly on top of the 1-step or did you use a padding in between?
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4728 posts
1084 upvotes
Kitchener
I installed the padding with wood laminate, probably don't need it but it's not that expensive
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16515 posts
2195 upvotes
djeter wrote:
Oct 20th, 2016 10:23 pm
Did you lay the laminate directly on top of the 1-step or did you use a padding in between?
This is addressed in their FAQ (I'm looking at using DMX 1-step as well):

"4. I plan on using your DMX 1-Step™ underlayment for a 12mm laminate floor. Would I gain any benefits from putting down an underpad layer of cork between the DMX and the laminate? Or would that be overkill and unnecessary?

The use of a layer of cork underpad between the DMX 1-Step™ and the laminate flooring will provide some increase of thermal performance since cork provides some thermal breaking properties and the total overall mass of the assembly will be increased. It will also increase the acoustic benefits of the floor assembly (especially if over another area where there is living space below), but for normal basement use is not required to be installed for acoustic purposes.

The installation of the cork will not affect the performance of the 1-Step™, nor the laminate."
[OP]
May 10, 2012
250 posts
29 upvotes
Markham
coolspot wrote:
Oct 21st, 2016 2:56 am
djeter wrote:
Oct 20th, 2016 10:23 pm
Did you lay the laminate directly on top of the 1-step or did you use a padding in between?
This is addressed in their FAQ (I'm looking at using DMX 1-step as well):

"4. I plan on using your DMX 1-Step™ underlayment for a 12mm laminate floor. Would I gain any benefits from putting down an underpad layer of cork between the DMX and the laminate? Or would that be overkill and unnecessary?

The use of a layer of cork underpad between the DMX 1-Step™ and the laminate flooring will provide some increase of thermal performance since cork provides some thermal breaking properties and the total overall mass of the assembly will be increased. It will also increase the acoustic benefits of the floor assembly (especially if over another area where there is living space below), but for normal basement use is not required to be installed for acoustic purposes.

The installation of the cork will not affect the performance of the 1-Step™, nor the laminate."
Thanks. Let me know if you use it. I watched 1 youtube vid of an installation and the guy placed the laminate directly on top of the product. He mentioned at times when he walks on the laminate he can sometimes 'hear the laminate 'clicking' as it sinks and contacts the DMX. I'll probably go with the a super cheap padding or maybe buy a laminate with a thin built in padding on the bottom.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
2106 posts
379 upvotes
I used the dmx 1-step product in our basement with the golden select laminate from Costco. If I remember right I think it was 5 or 6 rolls of 1-step. Since it seems to be one of your main concerns, all of the seams are tuck taped so I think that will create a solid water barrier from underneath. Of course it doesn't help with water from above like spills or drips.

The golden select laminate has a foam underpad already. I don't know how much that helped, but I can say that I don't hear any clicking or clacking when I walk on the floor. It's quite solid. Overall I would say I have no issues with the 1-step product and would recommend it, but as a caveat I haven't tried any of the other subfloor products available these days.
Aug 25, 2006
198 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
Capt. wrote:
Oct 21st, 2016 11:06 am
I used the dmx 1-step product in our basement with the golden select laminate from Costco. If I remember right I think it was 5 or 6 rolls of 1-step. Since it seems to be one of your main concerns, all of the seams are tuck taped so I think that will create a solid water barrier from underneath. Of course it doesn't help with water from above like spills or drips.

The golden select laminate has a foam underpad already. I don't know how much that helped, but I can say that I don't hear any clicking or clacking when I walk on the floor. It's quite solid. Overall I would say I have no issues with the 1-step product and would recommend it, but as a caveat I haven't tried any of the other subfloor products available these days.
I did exactly the same in my basement. Costco golden select foam backed laminate (12mm i think) over dmx one step. Very happy with results and stupid easy to install. Roll, cut, tuck tape seams. Don't have to worry so much with having a perfectly level floor beforehand like you need with other tile based subfloor systems that click-clack unless shimmed perfectly ( I have a stack of those taking up space in a storage room after I gave up trying to level them... massive pain in the ***). Floor has a nice subtle touch of cushion in it to from the dmx which was an added bonus. Floor does not feel cold either.
Sep 20, 2013
426 posts
99 upvotes
GTA
I will soon be starting my basement apartment Reno. Flooring is something I have been putting a lot of thought lately. DMX 1-step has appealed to me a lot and using this with golden select laminate from Costco is one option I have considered. My preference however is using vinyl planks but 1-step does not support laying planks directly on it. You have to first create a subfloor with osb and use tapcon screws. To avoid this there is another product called DMX airflow which supports laying vinyl planks directly over it. I like this more, only thing is I have not found many reviews on this product. Anyone has any experience using DMX airflow?

Sorry....yesterday was the deadline for all complaints.
Mar 8, 2017
1 posts
GTAian wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2016 8:11 pm
I will soon be starting my basement apartment Reno. Flooring is something I have been putting a lot of thought lately. DMX 1-step has appealed to me a lot and using this with golden select laminate from Costco is one option I have considered. My preference however is using vinyl planks but 1-step does not support laying planks directly on it. You have to first create a subfloor with osb and use tapcon screws. To avoid this there is another product called DMX airflow which supports laying vinyl planks directly over it. I like this more, only thing is I have not found many reviews on this product. Anyone has any experience using DMX airflow?
Bump to this question - Actual reviews on DMX Airflow?
Jul 1, 2005
451 posts
32 upvotes
TrevorN wrote:
Mar 9th, 2017 8:26 am
Bump to this question - Actual reviews on DMX Airflow?
Ditto. Anyone?
Jan 24, 2008
235 posts
53 upvotes
Scarborough
Got the Airflow last year in August and installed in my 1300 sqft basement. On top of this I installed 15mm toledo laminate from Costco. All good, no issues, no noise. Airflow was installed on top of bare concrete. And I was the one doing the install(I am no professional or contractor).
Dec 30, 2018
1 posts
Thnaks for keeping this thread updated! I'm about to finish our basement and I have been debating for a while on the best option for the flooring. I think I'm set up on DMX 1step and the laminate from Costco, especially because because they have quite a bunch in the store which will save the $14/box of delivery fees! They have a moisture resistant 12mm plank (2mm of underlayment pad attached) that look beautiful!
I have one question regarding the installation of the DMX. How did you deal with the walls. I have a bit of a gap after I removed the baseboards (see the pic attached). Do you leave some space between the walls and the DMX or you go as close as possible or you tape it to the walls?
Thanks for your input!
IMG_1852.JPG
Aug 18, 2016
162 posts
160 upvotes
HeleneH15830 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 2:11 pm
Thnaks for keeping this thread updated! I'm about to finish our basement and I have been debating for a while on the best option for the flooring. I think I'm set up on DMX 1step and the laminate from Costco, especially because because they have quite a bunch in the store which will save the $14/box of delivery fees! They have a moisture resistant 12mm plank (2mm of underlayment pad attached) that look beautiful!
I have one question regarding the installation of the DMX. How did you deal with the walls. I have a bit of a gap after I removed the baseboards (see the pic attached). Do you leave some space between the walls and the DMX or you go as close as possible or you tape it to the walls?
Thanks for your input!
What did you end up doing
Feb 10, 2019
2 posts
I just finished 275 sq room in my basement with DMX Airflow. I went with Airflow vs One Step for 2 reasons. 1- Foam backer on both sides for better sound (no clicking) and a little better R valve (which I don’t think is really going to help much). 2- there is nothing else needed, laminated flooring goes right on top. Here is my review. Cost- if you use other dimpled product you have to add in addition cost for some kind of padding to equal the quality of the Airflow. the total cost between the 2 is minimal. This product takes minutes to lay down. Cut and tape that’s it. It is the easiest product to use. Have found no issue with the quality of this product. 100% satisfied with the quality plus they give you plenty of tape. Would use again with no fear. The only negative I can say about this product is, I am putting it on basement floor, no basement floor is even. In some area’s it seems a little spongie but well within the manufacture exceptable spec of movement. Iam using Pergo 12mm. FYI, I don’t work for DMX, I’m not getting Pd to right this review and usually don’t do reviews but this is a good, affordable, high quality easy to use product. Hope this helps.