Automotive

Do cheaper brands of gas burn out faster?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2014 1:51 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9329 posts
243 upvotes
Brampton

Do cheaper brands of gas burn out faster?

7-11/macs/pioneer all sell gas a few cents cheaper than shell/esso/petro. Do you get the same gas mileage from the cheaper gas stations when you compare mileage to the brand name gas? I found that macs gas seem to give less fuel mileage than esso gas.

What are your opinions? What are your experiences?
50 replies
Mar 11, 2012
2 posts
AJAX
If I'm not mistaken, gas only comes from a select few companies so the gas is likely the same as that of the bigger name stations.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
21437 posts
1505 upvotes
Aurora
Atlantic99 wrote:
Mar 12th, 2012 7:56 pm
If I'm not mistaken, gas only comes from a select few companies so the gas is likely the same as that of the bigger name stations.

There are only a few refineries out there. Cheaper gas really isn't cheaper. The operator is just willing to make a smaller profit.
Mar 3, 2006
433 posts
24 upvotes
It's probably only that cheaper brand of gas in your area has a higher content of ethanol than the ''brand name''.

Most of cars will get 3-5% less mpg with a 5-10% ethanol blend.

Try to find gas station that doesn't include ethanol in their gas.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2010
1224 posts
179 upvotes
Cheaper gas has less detergents which may eventually lead to degraded engine performance, but I couldn't care less since my car is no performance car. Gas stations that people seldom visit, however, may have more water creep into their underground reservoir, that's what will cause less milage.
Condos are like condoms. People buy them only because they can't afford the real deal :(
Oct 26, 2009
540 posts
12 upvotes
Cheaper gas do you mean by quality? or lower octane level? If you think you're saving money by using regular fuel in a car that requires premium, you actually get worse mileage. Low octane fuel can cause uncontrolled burning in the combustion chambers.

Using premium fuel in an economy car will make little or no difference in terms of power.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2006
1048 posts
89 upvotes
carniver wrote:
Mar 13th, 2012 4:37 am
Cheaper gas has less detergents which may eventually lead to degraded engine performance, but I couldn't care less since my car is no performance car. Gas stations that people seldom visit, however, may have more water creep into their underground reservoir, that's what will cause less milage.

Uhhhh, if a gas station that has that much leakage into their underground system to effect gas mileage then the gas mileage is the least of their problems.

On a side note. For those people who say they mix in water in their gas, or that water is the problem in cheap gas....try mixing gas and water together and let me know how well that turns out :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 2, 2008
9724 posts
892 upvotes
Chuck Garabedian wrote:
Mar 13th, 2012 1:42 pm
Uhhhh, if a gas station that has that much leakage into their underground system to effect gas mileage then the gas mileage is the least of their problems.

On a side note. For those people who say they mix in water in their gas, or that water is the problem in cheap gas....try mixing gas and water together and let me know how well that turns out :facepalm:

tanks are monitored for water. they dont leak. if they do, its a major problem since it could be environmental damage......
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2006
1048 posts
89 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:
Mar 12th, 2012 7:38 pm
7-11/macs/pioneer all sell gas a few cents cheaper than shell/esso/petro. Do you get the same gas mileage from the cheaper gas stations when you compare mileage to the brand name gas? I found that macs gas seem to give less fuel mileage than esso gas.

What are your opinions? What are your experiences?
Most late model cars have an average and instant fuel mileage readout. Go to a brand name station, reset your average readout and see what you get after nearly finishing your tank. Then do the same thing at the no name station. I have and have never seen a difference using the same grade of gasoline (i.e. octane and ethanol %).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
7270 posts
386 upvotes
Toronto
Chuck Garabedian wrote:
Mar 13th, 2012 1:45 pm
Most late model cars have an average and instant fuel mileage readout. Go to a brand name station, reset your average readout and see what you get after nearly finishing your tank. Then do the same thing at the no name station. I have and have never seen a difference using the same grade of gasoline (i.e. octane and ethanol %).

Mine usually reads out 450-550 per tank (but at a 1/4 is when I fill and I have about 350KM by then), when I brought the BMW out last week it went from full (470km for full tank) down to 200 in about 20 minutes, probably because it sat there for 5 months but within about an hour it went back up to what it was supposed to :D

I have heard of some people getting 550+ in the same car as mine (08 128i) and my car has 16,300KMs on it so surely there cant be anything wrong with the car that would degrade my mileage that much so how they're doing it I dont know (serious grandma driving? or just all highway?)
Sep 16, 2009
745 posts
55 upvotes
I did a little test on my car.

Esso Octane 91 = 8.3L/100 kms
Petro Canada Octane 91 = 11L/100 kms
Shell Octane 91 = 10.7L/100 kms

Car : Lexus IS 250 AWD

I drove for a full 100 km on each (emptied my tank before filling it up again with another brand).

I've been using Esso since. lol.
× < >