Students

Do or Don't Teachers College @ 26 - 2017

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2017 1:26 am
Mar 1, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote

Do or Don't Teachers College @ 26 - 2017

The Skinny: I am 26 years old, female. Graduated from UoGuelph with a 3 year BA (Geo and English) working as an Administrative Assistant at an Engineering company in Toronto – who has just been accepted to Ottawa U for the Intermediate/Senior program in the fall and I have two weeks to make the decision of whether to take it or continue my life here.

I’ve been searching for a career since I graduated university and haven’t thought of anything else I would enjoy doing as much as teaching (I loved being a swimming instructor growing up). I was scared to apply to teacher’s college because I only had a 3 year degree and my average was in the low 70’s and didn’t think I had a chance in hell at getting in. However, I was laid off in September from my office manager job at an engineering firm and figured WHY NOT?
Now in early March I am two months into a new job at a much more stable engineering company with a lot of room for growth as an administrative assistant – making a decent $50K with benefits and 3 weeks vacation (a big step up from my previous job) – and I’ve just realized that I’ve been accepted to the University of Ottawa in the Intermediate/Senior stream to teach Geography and English.
I’ve done a lot of research and reading which all seems to scare my pants off about the job prospects in Ontario for teachers and was wondering if you would all be so kind to give me just a little more insight. My major concern comes not from taking two years off of working full time to do the program - but rather being 28 years old by the time I finish the program, having given up a stable job with some sort of potential (even if it’s something I don’t love) to then be stuck working part time doing supply work for 2-5 … to 7 years after I’m finished the program. I’ve heard all of the horror stories – but how true are these waiting times in reality?
My boyfriend and I are currently in a position to be purchasing a home together in the next year and really beginning our “adulating” life lol. All of which would have to be put on hold while we move out there for me to do this program and not be working full time for two years.

Basically – I’m looking for advice – please give me ALL that you have! Even the harsh stuff – I can take it.
9 replies
Mar 1, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Teaching abroad would be easy if it weren't for the fact that I'm in a long term relationship and we are looking at starting to build a life here in the GTA where our friends and family all are.

Also, if I taught abroad I would just be putting off the inevitable of having to gain seniority in order to get into the Ontario school boards eventually.
Jul 15, 2016
148 posts
71 upvotes
The wait time for a full time teaching position is inevitable with the backlog of teachers currently in the OT pools.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
3481 posts
3863 upvotes
Antarctica
You are buying a home, you don't get to make risky decisions like this, it's the reality.

Either be tied to the mortgage or see if you want to gamble on your passion :)
Mar 2, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
do you like your current job? how about the hypothetical future jobs in your current company?

where do you see yourself in five years? If you don't go to teacher's college, in five years, you could potentially be living in a home with your bf (fiance? husband? possibly kids?) in Toronto near friends and family. If you go to teachers college, in five years you could be a full-time teacher, but more realistically, you would likely be a substitute teacher with unreliable income. Your life (and owning a home) wouldn't just be "on hold", it would likely be out of reach since any money you had would go towards paying for school and then living expenses until you get steady work. It sounds a bit to me like you applied on a whim and now the possibility has presented itself and you don't want to pull the trigger and decline the offer. Going into teaching right now is not a rational choice in terms of stability. If you're passionate about teaching and you can't see yourself being happy doing anything else, then yes, go to teachers college. But otherwise, I would stick with what you're doing and try to find your niche within your current field. Best of luck!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
How about do the teaching thing and then buy a home outside Ontario. And work in like Alberta or Saskatchewan. Should be easier to land a full-time teaching job after a couple years and homes are cheaper. Who would really want to live in the GTA anyway. Better yet move to interior BC. It's awesome there
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
If you're not happy being an admin assistant and if the odds of you moving up the corporate ladder are slimmer than great, and if you've been looking for a new career change, why not go ahead and at least try out teacher's college? Worst case, you decide you hate it and go back to what you were doing before.

Unless you are fluent in French or have high-demand teachables (math, pure sciences like chemistry or physics) you'll be waiting anywhere from 4-8 years before getting a permanent teaching contract. Two friends of mine are teachers; one is fluent in French and got a permanent contract after 2-3 years, the other knows no french and teaches religion and other "soft" subjects and just last year (about 7 years after graduation) got a permanent contract.

You still make good money supply teaching; I think it's like ~$250 / day, but whether you'll be working that day will depend on if you get called. You do that until you land a contract position, then a long term contract position (usually a mat leave or medical leave cover off), then eventually a permanent position.

If you don't go, you may spend the rest of your life wondering "what if".
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2017
1967 posts
621 upvotes
DT Calgary
Take the leap and go for it. You'll regret it later in life. Also, how are you going to afford living in Toronto as an Administrative Assistant? Can't be easy.
Mar 13, 2018
1 posts
I am curious, OP, what did you decide? I am in a similar situation. I don't think teacher's college is a good bet anymore. Hasn't been for a LONG time. I speak French also and do not see a light at the end of teacher's college tunnel. I am considering going into the HR profession instead. What did you decide?