Page 1 of 1

Do employers have to pay you for training?

Posted: Jul 4th, 2009 2:18 am
by Ovechkin
I was recently let go from my job but I did about 7 hours of training which I didnt get paid for. The company said that they would pay me that after I worked 100 hours. I worked under that much. Are they legally entitled to pay me that or not? I am wondering whats their obligation under the law.

Re: Do employers have to pay you for training?

Posted: Jul 4th, 2009 7:53 am
by MoreMiles
Training is privilege. It's an investment for your employer in a hope of getting better work production from you. It's not an obligation as far as I know.

It comes down to your employment contract. Was training included in your negotiated deal? If not, think about it... is a law firm obligated to pay its lawyer's tuition? How about accounting firm for accountants?

Posted: Jul 4th, 2009 8:48 am
by f00kie
MoreMiles wrote: If not, think about it... is a law firm obligated to pay its lawyer's tuition? How about accounting firm for accountants?
That's education, not necessarily training.

Posted: Jul 4th, 2009 9:39 am
by cgtlky
Ovechkin wrote: I was recently let go from my job but I did about 7 hours of training which I didnt get paid for. The company said that they would pay me that after I worked 100 hours. I worked under that much. Are they legally entitled to pay me that or not? I am wondering whats their obligation under the law.
Since they have a clause stating they will pay you the 7 hours of training after you worked >= 100 hours and you are "let you", is this your own will(quit/resign)?

Posted: Jul 4th, 2009 10:18 am
by gman
Ovechkin wrote: I was recently let go from my job but I did about 7 hours of training which I didnt get paid for. The company said that they would pay me that after I worked 100 hours. I worked under that much. Are they legally entitled to pay me that or not? I am wondering whats their obligation under the law.
cgtlky wrote: Since they have a clause stating they will pay you the 7 hours of training after you worked >= 100 hours and you are "let you", is this your own will(quit/resign)?
"let you"??
Huh!? :confused:

Posted: Jul 4th, 2009 9:12 pm
by ghostryder
Why don't you contact your provincial labour standards department? Just because the company said something does not make it legal.

Posted: Jul 5th, 2009 3:38 am
by drey2k
I'm pretty sure they have to pay you ...

Posted: Jul 5th, 2009 12:24 pm
by Ovechkin
cgtlky wrote: Since they have a clause stating they will pay you the 7 hours of training after you worked >= 100 hours and you are "let you", is this your own will(quit/resign)?
no they just said we dont need you anymore, so they basically fired me

Posted: Jul 5th, 2009 12:26 pm
by Ovechkin
ghostryder wrote: Why don't you contact your provincial labour standards department? Just because the company said something does not make it legal.
thats what I thought, and thats what I will do

Posted: Jul 5th, 2009 12:36 pm
by THINKPADT61
Really? that doesn't sound right...

I always get salary for my training.

Posted: Jul 5th, 2009 12:40 pm
by Guest234437
MoreMiles wrote: Training is privilege. It's an investment for your employer in a hope of getting better work production from you. It's not an obligation as far as I know.

It comes down to your employment contract. Was training included in your negotiated deal? If not, think about it... is a law firm obligated to pay its lawyer's tuition? How about accounting firm for accountants?
privilege? what about places that are dangerous such as the crop fields, operating heavy machinery, etc? Safety standards in blue collar type of jobs? not having proper training could cost the company a lot of money/employees when accidents happen. training should be mandatory.

in quebec, the law states that they are OBLIGATED to pay for training. I once had this issue when an owner of Subways didn't want to pay me for training and I told him about that he is required by law to pay me and even showed him the website . if I am taking my own time to improve myself for the workspace, i should be paid for it. very often they do this to younger students because they are not knowledged when it comes to labor standards. milk them all that they can...

you MUST be paid for training, no matter what. it'd be ridiculous not to. If companies were given the opportunity to not pay for training then I wouldn't be surprised if they half assed it when the training could mean life or death when it comes to safety standards. by being forced to pay you for training no matter what, they're more likely to make the most of their time and money and not waste it and train you more adequately.

Posted: Jul 5th, 2009 1:07 pm
by Ovechkin
norgos wrote: privilege? what about places that are dangerous such as the crop fields, operating heavy machinery, etc? Safety standards in blue collar type of jobs? not having proper training could cost the company a lot of money/employees when accidents happen. training should be mandatory.

in quebec, the law states that they are OBLIGATED to pay for training. I once had this issue when an owner of Subways didn't want to pay me for training and I told him about that he is required by law to pay me and even showed him the website . if I am taking my own time to improve myself for the workspace, i should be paid for it. very often they do this to younger students because they are not knowledged when it comes to labor standards. milk them all that they can...

you MUST be paid for training, no matter what. it'd be ridiculous not to. If companies were given the opportunity to not pay for training then I wouldn't be surprised if they half assed it when the training could mean life or death when it comes to safety standards. by being forced to pay you for training no matter what, they're more likely to make the most of their time and money and not waste it and train you more adequately.

do you know if the laws are the same in ontario?

Posted: Jul 5th, 2009 11:54 pm
by MoreMiles
norgos wrote: in quebec, the law states that they are OBLIGATED to pay for training. I once had this issue when an owner of Subways didn't want to pay me for training and I told him about that he is required by law to pay me and even showed him the website
If my new employee approached me like this at the beginning of job, he will be gone during the probationary period, no reason needed.

Your old employer must be pretty desperate to keep someone with this kind of attitude.

Posted: Jul 6th, 2009 12:23 am
by DealMaomi
MoreMiles wrote: If my new employee approached me like this at the beginning of job, he will be gone during the probationary period, no reason needed.

Your old employer must be pretty desperate to keep someone with this kind of attitude.
He's just standing up for his rights.

Posted: Jul 6th, 2009 4:22 am
by Guest234437
MoreMiles wrote: If my new employee approached me like this at the beginning of job, he will be gone during the probationary period, no reason needed.

oh, this was a job I applied for Subways back when I was in high school. I ended up working at Futureshop instead. The owner took advantage of a lot of students and also non english/french speaking people. it was despicable.

Posted: Jul 6th, 2009 9:11 am
by slowtyper
LOL, another thread with some people using their own "logic" and stating it as fact while having no idea if its really true or not. LOVE IT GUYS, KEEP IT UP.

Posted: Jul 6th, 2009 10:21 am
by dealman09
I have never worked a job in my life where the training was not paid for. Unless your getting into a skilled job where you need to know things and get paid accordingly, training at the lower levels is always paid for. Most times your just learning their specific procedures.

Posted: Jul 6th, 2009 11:33 am
by boyoflondon
When I got my job, we got paid for training period which was 5 weeks long.

Posted: Jul 6th, 2009 11:56 am
by Ovechkin

yah and then the labour board would come after your ass and force u to pay him for training